GDT: Game 2: Red Wings vs preds 7:00 pm et 10/12/24

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Those two contracts did not prevent us from signing Roy. More importantly, even if they were not on the roster there is nothing we could have done to force Roy to sign with us.

Patrick Kane was 34 and coming off a nasty surgery when we signed him. He was hardly the belle of the ball at that point.
Force him to sign with his us? He's from Michigan and signed with Washington because they had cap space. Washington tied with us in points last year in case you forgot. Washington is nowhere close to a contender just like Detroit.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
The equivalent to the "prevent defense" in football? Just don't give up the out of bounds or something like that.

Our defense looks more like an all out blitz, not getting the sack and in consequence giving up the TD. :eyeroll:

22-42 shots - I like the win, but Talbot just stole it. With Husso in net, this is a 2-4 loss.

Improvement compared to game 1? Yes, but not as much as the result suggests.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
We're on pace for 40 shutouts this season. That would give us a pretty good shot at a playoff spot.

Seider: 25:47 TOI, 7 blocks, 8 hits, apple, bogus tripping penalty when Nyquist was already going down from being leaned on. Unreal game for him. Killing his two one-minute penalties was huge. AlJo is so solid and smart. Fearless even if undersized, quick feet and good passer works for me. Great first NHL game so hopefully more ice time coming.

Lots of bad stuff, brutal give-aways by DBC among them, but a win is a win. Berggren did some good things as did that 4th line until the lines got juggled.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
So is the sky not falling anymore? Maybe we should let this team show what it's got before we make up our minds. The more hysterical takes coming out of the game 1 thread were embarrassing.

Team still has holes obviously, but lots to be optimistic about too. A full season of Raymond and Seider as bona fide stars, in addition to Larkin. Edvinsson primed to take on a big role sooner than later, and now Johansson looking like he can hang too. And throw in the possibility of Kasper working his way onto the roster at some point this season as well. I don't yet see a reason to think this season won't follow the established 4-5 season trend of yearly improvement. I'm excited to see what they do this season.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
While I love the win and shut out, it required talbot to stand on his head. Getting out shot 40-22 is not a good recipe for success, with a lot of those 40 being quality scoring chances. Idk what money puck says but I could easily have seen that game being 4 to 2(just checked and it was actually closer than I expected given the shot disparity). They still need to tighten up quite a bit, but unfortunately I think getting outshot is going to be an expectation with our d corps. Edvinsson looked a lot better, seider looked good, Johansson was as well in his little time. Raymond to me has solidified himself as our best player now, and as much as I hate copp, good to see him get a goal. Would really love a way to get kasper on this team, then I’d feel like we got a legit chance at some good development for the young guys while playing meaningful games. Still have a lot to tighten up though. Also stop putting chariot with seider, that’s not a good partner for seider and never has been.

Edit: holy shit we blocked 35 shots to win and they still had 40 shots on goal? That is unreal puck possession by Nashville then. That is not sustainable.

Last edited:

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
Much better team game. The top pp unit got it's looks. But man that 2nd unit sucks. Hopefully with fisher out they call up Kasper because I still think we need that energy. Also chariot had a good game but he does not belong on the pp over ed. He literally has 0 iq or creativity. So the 2nd unit went from crappy in game 1 to awful in game 2 with big ben as the point.

One bright spot was holl looked really good with edvinsson. They seemed to have really good chemistry when it came to just little things and they did a good job at breaking things up and moving the puck up ice quickly. Will be interesting to see if lalonde keeps them together if holl continues this play. Edvinsson looked much more comfortable this game and at the same time continues to be creative to make things happen in the offensive zone. He led to the 2nd goal so hopefully he keeps it up. AJO also had a strong game and should be staying in the lineup.

One other thing I noticed tonight was super long shifts. At one point maata was on the ice for over 2 min. And at the end chirot and seider were on the ice for over 3 min and just looked gassed. I'd get keeping them out there if all other pairs sucked but all 3 pairs were solid all night.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So is the sky not falling anymore? Maybe we should let this team show what it's got before we make up our minds. The more hysterical takes coming out of the game 1 thread were embarrassing.

Team still has holes obviously, but lots to be optimistic about too. A full season of Raymond and Seider as bona fide stars, in addition to Larkin. Edvinsson primed to take on a big role sooner than later, and now Johansson looking like he can hang too. And throw in the possibility of Kasper working his way onto the roster at some point this season as well. I don't yet see a reason to think this season won't follow the established 4-5 season trend of yearly improvement. I'm excited to see what they do this season.
So I take it you didn't watch the game at all.

The team still looked like shit, Cam bailed out the whole team. Easily another loss if Husso or Lyon had played. Preds dominated the whole game aside from the first half of the second period.

Defensive lapses were very noticeable. Flubbed pucks and uncovered opponents in front of the crease. Mistakes will become more evident as soon as Cam comes down to earth. Not gonna win many games getting outshot by 2:1 ratio.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Sorry, but not all shots are created equal. Nashville produced volume, but not a ton of quality. Their shot total was a bit of a mirage.

Reactions: saska sault

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
So I take it you didn't watch the game at all.

The team still looked like shit, Cam bailed out the whole team. Easily another loss if Husso or Lyon had played. Preds dominated the whole game aside from the first half of the second period.

Defensive lapses were very noticeable. Flubbed pucks and uncovered opponents in front of the crease. Mistakes will become more evident as soon as Cam comes down to earth. Not gonna win many games getting outshot by 2:1 ratio.
I did watch the game, and I saw a lot to be optimistic about too. Larkin, Raymond, Seider, Edvinsson, Johansson all looked good. Debrincat and Kane will no doubt chip in some offense at some point too. Chiarot is looking decent enough. And this is against a Nashville team that had some really good pieces already and spent a lot of money to bring in even more big fish. They're going to be competitive this year.

But that's beside the point. Even playing devil's advocate and assuming you're right, it's still 2 games. Making season projections based on that is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad