GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs Detroit - 8:00 PM - Werner: Fenway 'confident' in Dubas' vision for franchise

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Love 7 pages of vitriol with the second game of the year HOURS away still lol

The GDT’s are going to be more entertaining than the games (for the meltdowns)

1728590117812.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Don't get me wrong, i like it

GDTs by the end of last year would be 4 pages max.... Everyone was so burnt out

Anger = passion

I'm cool with it

Agreed. Like... I dunno why everyone gets all grumpy about people venting. First off that's uh... kinda what sports fans do. Second is it REALLY better to just sorta zombie through 6-0 asswhippings after years of no-consequence failures and be all like "oh well I'm sure they know what they are doing and this will get better because Mike and Kyle said so."

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team was sitting with the 7th worst record in the league last spring before Sid went on a heater and the team went on a bit of a run. They could easily be there again. They have the same volatile goalies, Sid and Geno are a year older, Sullivan's still manning the ship, and they'll be without Jake's production for the entire year.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
You can be disappointed in many, many things with the current iteration of the team but one has to sit agape in awe at the absolute DEMON quickness in which this team has speed-ran fan goodwill.
It’s pretty crazy. Yes it was 7 years ago but grand scheme of things (relative to other franchises.. like the Bruins) they just won 2 Cups. And another 2 appearances and 1 win less than a decade before the B2B.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It’s pretty crazy. Yes it was 7 years ago but grand scheme of things (relative to other franchises.. like the Bruins) they just won 2 Cups. And another 2 appearances and 1 win less than a decade before the B2B.

I definitely bear it all in mind and really do try to keep things in perspective. This should just mostly be bonus time right?

But like... it's almost as if they have been ACTIVELY trying to derail the franchise by making the most willfully stupid decisions possible. You can't help but be mad about that, I think. Everyone knew their contending days were gonna dry up with age and all of the dealing of futures catching up. But I don't know that anyone had "rank franchise-wide stupidity for seasons on end" on their bingo card.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I definitely bear it all in mind and really do try to keep things in perspective. This should just mostly be bonus time right?

But like... it's almost as if they have been ACTIVELY trying to derail the franchise by making the most willfully stupid decisions possible. You can't help but be mad about that, I think. Everyone knew their contending days were gonna dry up with age and all of the dealing of futures catching up. But I don't know that anyone had "rank franchise-wide stupidity for seasons on end" on their bingo card.

The Tristan Jarry and Ryan Graves contracts made absolutely no sense from day one and are legitimately killing this team.

The fact we gave John Marino's partner a 6 year deal is one of the most asisine things I've ever seen.

On top of that giving a goalie 5 years who literally single handedly cost us two playoffs series one due to his play and one due to his penchant for injury was bizarre.

Dubas slammed the door shut on this team and continues to make absolutely baffling decisions like the Guentzel trade return, the Kevin Hayes trade when players like Mathieu Jospeh and Jake Walman who are still effective are returning 2nd round picks, and the general signings this offseason too.

Just dog shit management, dog shit coaching, and a dog shit roster.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Trade Sid to COL with 1.7 mil retained for Calum Ritchie, Casey Middlestadt and a 2027 3rd.

If not now, later in the year

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Tristan Jarry and Ryan Graves contracts made absolutely no sense from day one and are legitimately killing this team.

The fact we gave John Marino's partner a 6 year deal is one of the most asisine things I've ever seen.

On top of that giving a goalie 5 years who literally single handedly cost us two playoffs series one due to his play and one due to his penchant for injury was bizarre.

Dubas slammed the door shut on this team and continues to make absolutely baffling decisions like the Guentzel trade return, the Kevin Hayes trade when players like Mathieu Jospeh and Jake Walman who are still effective are returning 2nd round picks, and the general signings this offseason too.

Just dog shit management, dog shit coaching, and a dog shit roster.

I think this is all valid though I can't bang on the Graves signing much because I thought it looked OK at the time.

f***in' WHOOPS.

Anyway the one that really made me sorta dismiss Dubas as a cretin until he proves otherwise was just yawning all though last season before finally firing the dope in charge of the trashass powerplay in the offseason after what I can only assume was some closed-door nonsense considering it took weeks and not literally the moment the final buzzer was over on the last game of the year. Then to REALLY rub things in somehow allowed the coach to hire his buddy as the replacement even though he's woefully unqualified to run a powerplay much less swoop in and rescue a total mess of one.

THAT is arrogance and not giving one single solitary f*** about the fans that pay your bills.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I’m kind of over it by now because of how old the core is. and I actually don’t hate Dubas (think he is most competent we’ve had since B2B, admittedly a low bar to clear). but most frustrating thing to me was way JR ran this team post 2017. Such a clean cap structure (Hags was “worst” deal :laugh:), let Bonino walk for space and he went nutso PF Chang mode. Started becoming obsessed with overpaying in FA, overpaying on trades, and acquiring failing former 1st round picks. We very much could’ve added another superstar, added multiple studs, etc.

2nd most is how stale Sully is but not going down that rabbit hole

Also said this the other day but the whole “we know better than you peons” PR fluff stuff always seems like a precursor to failure. Pride goeth before the fall and all that… remember when JR “knew the real reason” why Jack Johnson was healthy scratched? :laugh::laugh: That ended well.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’m kind of over it by now because of how old the core is. and I actually don’t hate Dubas (think he is most competent we’ve had since B2B, admittedly a low bar to clear). but most frustrating thing to me was way JR ran this team post 2017. Such a clean cap structure (Hags was “worst” deal :laugh:), let Bonino walk for space and he went nutso PF Chang mode. Started becoming obsessed with overpaying in FA, overpaying on trades, and acquiring failing former 1st round picks. We very much could’ve added another superstar, added multiple studs, etc.

2nd most is how stale Sully is but not going down that rabbit hole

Also said this the other day but the whole “we know better than you peons” PR fluff stuff always seems like a precursor to failure. Pride goeth before the fall and all that… remember when JR “knew the real reason” why Jack Johnson was healthy scratched? :laugh::laugh: That ended well.

I'm not going to tell people what to think but I suspect that when it is all said and done we will see that this team suffered through 2 1/2 straight awful GMs making awful decisions. Not just 1 1/2. The upheaval and "process" alone from going through these 3 guys in such a relatively short span of time was massively disruptive and honestly gave some of the real (or at least equal) culprits cover to point and say "HA! See? Not MY fault."

That said not EVERYTHING all three did/have done is bad. It just feels that way, sometimes lol

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Sully, your stupid new glasses may fool Dubas, but they don't fool me...

On the bright side, we looked just as bad as the Caps did at the beginning of last year, and the Caps eventually made the playoffs. So, maybe we have the league right where we want them!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I just hope we can score goals. Being shutout is the worst.

It's a hell of an ask for this team. They have been one of the worst finishing teams for years, now and just traded Jake and replaced him with like... Bunting, Hayes and Beauvillier. Woof.

Once your team starts replacing stars "by committee" you know you're in Pirates territory.

OK OK... nothing is THAT bad.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dubas is suffocating the Core as well as Sullivan and no one else sees it. lol

This plan is beauuuuttttiiiiiful! They will hang themselves and Kyle will pick up the pieces and FSG will thank him for it. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The powerplay will start clicking and we'll win this one 6-0. We'll be surprisingly watchable for a while until reality hits and we dump Alexei Kovalev for Rico Fata.

I always thought this trade was every bit as bad or maybe in some ways worse than the Jagr deal.

Just an absolute raft of garbage in return and we even all knew it at the time.

Though some tried to convince themselves re: Fata.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Can we stop talking about tanking and getting the first pick in the draft? This is not the NFL. There is a draft lottery. You could be BAD and still only be rewarded with the second or third pick. Or get an Erik Johnson, or a Nail Yakupov or a Patrik Stefan.

Besides, this team will still have Mike Sullivan as head coach.
Do we really want a 5'9" 165# C anyways?
🤣

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad