GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs Detroit - 8:00 PM - Werner: Fenway 'confident' in Dubas' vision for franchise

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
But he DID teach him up last year... remember?!?

Surely you aren't saying that was to his detriment?
I mean call me crazy, but when a player goes from being a Norris trophy winning defenseman to... whatever the hell he was last year, some would call that a regression.

What do I know though?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Same, and if I'm being truly honest with myself, I'd rather see Crosby get traded and McG sent down. It's what would be best for the team in the long run, and for both of those players individually.
Crosby traded? Come on man. What do you think this team can acquire from Colorado when Crosby tells Dubas he only wants to go there?

Remember the Patrick Kane deal to NYR?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean call me crazy, but when a player goes from being a Norris trophy winning defenseman to... whatever the hell he was last year, some would call that a regression.

What do I know though?
It's bonkers that Sullivan didn't catch more heat for Karlsson's lame season last year.

Nobody expected him to put up 100pts again, but holy hell, man. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

What do I know though?

Just read more Seth Rabblegarble articles and learn you somethin' son!

What that is I couldn't tell you... the subject of the interview wouldn't say.

Crosby traded? Come on man. What do you think this team can acquire from Colorado when Crosby tells Dubas he only wants to go there?

I mean as long as it's a second round pick we're golden, right?

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

If we're being honest, we aren't winning anything any time soon. What we get is the ability to tank and finish last and to stop pretending otherwise. Any players and draft picks that come along with it are a bonus.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wonder if Puustinen gets in…

Probably would be for Pulju…

I get the frustration. I honestly do but I don't think it's a problem with Dubas's "vision". His "vision" is roughly the same as Hextall's, it's the one that I imagine every single GM would have for the Penguins as well. The reality is that we are destined to be in a middle-ground purgatory for a couple of years. This is the tax payment for 15 years of cup contention and having the privilege of having two all-time greats on the roster. We are half-in and half-out. Whether or not anyone agrees with that approach is irrelevant because that's what the organization is doing. They aren't going all in and giving up prospects and draft capital for win-now players and they aren't stripping it down to the studs and discarding guys like Malkin and Crosby. They are content with a balance. They will support Sid until he retires and then rebuild.

They are going to collect young players and picks to bolster the next generation. That is hardly controversial. It doesn't matter that McGroarty isn't the next Iginla. It doesn't matter is Pono isn't the next Malkin. It doesn't matter that Brunicke is back in Juniors. These aren't meant to be foundational players that you build around. They are meant to be support players. No different than Orpik, Whitney, Armstrong, and the slew of young guys they traded for and collected from 2000 to 2005. Then when you really suck circa 2027 and you get that 1ov and next big thing, you have the supporting cast to put around them. You want to be New York or LA when they add Laf/Kakko or Byfield. You don't want to be Chicago, who adds Bedard and surrounds him with absolute garbage, except for the fading mercenaries who are only willing to come to your hellhole because of money.

The Predators are an interesting example but I don't think it's a stretch by any means to say that's the exception not the rule. They gave up McD and Askarov. Those are two BIG assets. They gambled on Saros who is 29 (which is fine) and they gambled on being able to replace McD via FA in Skjei. Meanwhile, they added several guys who are well north of 30. The Pens and the Preds are NOT in the same part of their cycle. They are essentially where the Penguins were circa 2018/2019. If we added a 34yo and 30yo 40g wings, we all would have cheered. If they added them in FA this year, we would have all groaned (rightfully). But interestingly enough, we could easily be where they are next season. Trading Pettersson and Blomqvist out for 1sts and then adding Taylor Hall and Sam Bennett. But is that a better version for the team moving forward?

I am forced to take you off ignore and I see you're still laying down the same pile of shit posts that you were 8 months ago. Good. f***ing. Lord.

Please do everyone two favors: 1. Stop making GDTs and 2. Leave forever if you hate it this much.

You can make GDTs brother. Feel free.

Doesn’t change the fact Guentzel trade was awful.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

"We're here to win a Stanley Cup," Werner said. "(Fenway) got involved with this because this is an incredible team with a great legacy, and our responsibility is to bring the city a Cup."

"We are so confident in Kyle's vision," Werner said. "You know, we brought on David Quinn this season. I think we're going to improve in various aspects, and our responsibility as FSG is to give (Mike Sullivan) and Kyle the resources that they need to win."

Werner reiterated Fenway's belief in Sullivan, too, calling him "one of the two or three best coaches in hockey."

Go Pens.......​

Toronto media gets a bad rap (and deservedly so), but man it would be nice to have them covering the Pens with this Sullivan shit going on. They'd be roasting the organization and Sullivan on every single podcast/interview show for these results.

Sike Mullivan

Nickstuitveness.
Nov 15, 2010
That's just facts. Tom Werner said it is about Stanley Cups. Oh really? Then sign the best UFA on the market. You can STILL get younger that way, because you should have traded Eller, never acquired Hayes or Grz, etc. etc.

We would be so much better off right now without Grz, Hayes, Lizotte, Beauvillier and Glass, but with Stamkos, Brunicke, Puustinen and say one more healthy prospect from the farm.
It takes 2 to tango. Would a guy on his last contract want to come here? Even if Nashville is a 1 and done playoff team, at least you are still living in Nashville. I would guess his wife and kids played a role in his FA destination as well. On paper your theory is very logical, but when has Pittsburgh ever attracted a big ticket free agent?

Another big gamble they took was Tommy Novak at 2C. But unlike the Penguins spending to the cap to miss the playoffs, Nashville has almost 5 mil in cap space at the moment which will allow them to upgrade anything at the deadline if they are in the hunt.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It takes 2 to tango. Would a guy on his last contract want to come here? Even if Nashville is a 1 and done playoff team, at least you are still living in Nashville. I would guess his wife and kids played a role in his FA destination as well. On paper your theory is very logical, but when has Pittsburgh ever attracted a big ticket free agent?

Another big gamble they took was Tommy Novak at 2C. But unlike the Penguins spending to the cap to miss the playoffs, Nashville has almost 5 mil in cap space at the moment which will allow them to upgrade anything at the deadline if they are in the hunt.
I hate your profile picture. I'm sorry, I had to say it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sike Mullivan

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Last night with the power out and Hurricane Milton at my door, I streamed the Pens home opener in hopes of being distracted from the howling wind, the slamming sheets of torrential rain on my roof and windows, and the occasional snap of an oak tree. By the end of the second period I turned off the broadcast and enjoyed the distraction of the sounds of a Cat 3 Hurricane in my neighborhood rather than suffer through the rest of that game.

This morning, surveying the scene of destruction and debris that was left behind here, I thought it an apt metaphor for the state of the Pens after that game last night. To say I'm not optimistic about tonight's game in Detroit would be a Cat 5 understatement.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Last night with the power out and Hurricane Milton at my door, I streamed the Pens home opener in hopes of being distracted from the howling wind, the slamming sheets of torrential rain on my roof and windows, and the occasional snap of an oak tree. By the end of the second period I turned off the broadcast and enjoyed the distraction of the sounds of a Cat 3 Hurricane in my neighborhood rather than suffer through the rest of that game.

This morning, surveying the scene of destruction and debris that was left behind here, I thought it an apt metaphor for the state of the Pens after that game last night. To say I'm not optimistic about tonight's game in Detroit would be a Cat 5 understatement.

Ugh. I'm so sorry.

Stay safe.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Toronto media gets a bad rap (and deservedly so), but man it would be nice to have them covering the Pens with this Sullivan shit going on. They'd be roasting the organization and Sullivan on every single podcast/interview show for these results.
I definitely don't want any of that circus, but like, gimme someone with the spine to bring obvious issues up like 7 years into this shit. :laugh:

Though I guess that'd be exactly one difficult interview session, and that person's press pass would be revoked.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I thought the 3rd line and Eller in particular looked pretty good. I only watched the first half though
The player card showed them near the top.

They have a prospect in the top 75 to 100. And a 1st.

It just would give us something and set us up to finally be really bad.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
iu

iu

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I definitely think moving Rust for value while he holds it would be good for us.

Petterson I worry about our Defense going forward. It'd be nice to have someone capable for when we really suck to teach young guys like Brunicke.
You could pick up a vet D in the offseason nearing the end for this purpose at a fraction of the cost. Asset management should be Dubas's only priority moving forward.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Can we stop talking about tanking and getting the first pick in the draft? This is not the NFL. There is a draft lottery. You could be BAD and still only be rewarded with the second or third pick. Or get an Erik Johnson, or a Nail Yakupov or a Patrik Stefan.

Besides, this team will still have Mike Sullivan as head coach.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I definitely think moving Rust for value while he holds it would be good for us.

Petterson I worry about our Defense going forward. It'd be nice to have someone capable for when we really suck to teach young guys like Brunicke.
Honestly, I think the weight people put into Petts' mentorship in the long run is vastly overstated.

And if you've already moved Jake, and are planning on moving Rust (which the team 100% should do the moment his NTC drops), I don't think the defense matters anymore. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad