GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs Detroit - 8:00 PM - Werner: Fenway 'confident' in Dubas' vision for franchise

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah like his contract extension kicked in LAST GAME. Dude still has 3 full years left :laugh:

That and the Olympics assures that he's a fixture here for years, yet.

Plus I mean... the Pittsburgh Penguins have evidently slowly evolved into the Pittsburgh Boston 2.0 Mike Sullivans so the team exists for him, now.

Wild to see an organization bend over like this for a flippin' coach while a productive franchise legend toils away with like... DOC and Anthony Beauvillier

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Read somewhere that Glass had a decent game last night

Of course the coach can not give him more than 10 minutes of ice time with this Stacked line up ........

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Read somewhere that Glass had a decent game last night

Of course the coach can not give him more than 10 minutes of ice time with this Stacked line up ........
I think you’d be hard pressed to say anyone had a good game

but the numbers say the 2nd line and MP-EK, RG-JSI pairings were terrible and got destroyed

and that the 1st line was very middling

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Man even my most optimistic friends who are always getting on me for being so doom and gloom have been texting me this morning all like "WTF was that?!?" That was an EXCEPTIONAL shitshow. Plus it's really insulting to be assured over and over again that they have been working SO hard and teaching SO much and that the powerplay has NEW LOOKS then they trot all THAT out.

OoOoOoOOoOOoooooh! TWO defenseman you say?!? Revolutionary!

Fine with the losing but drop all the double-speak and just say what this is. Plus maybe consider playing a less-than-eye-poison brand of hockey because trying to low event things up is only resulting in losing AND a terrible entertainment product.
It's too bad "low event" only has meaning for us, and not the opposing teams.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It's game 2 in the season and I already don't want to watch this team :laugh:
I just don't see a way things can possibly get better. It's not like the core is young and just playing bad. They are old and are only going to keep getting older.

The young players aren't world beaters, and even if they play well it's not like they are ever going to take over and win games for us single handedly.

The defense is probably worse than it was last year somehow.

Jarry is still here. The dude that doesn't know how to do anything else but let in backbreaking goal after backbreaking goal.

And lastly to top it all off, the coach has zero answers for any aspects of his teams game that aren't working, and hasn't for years. Yet somehow he's not even remotely close to being on the hot seat.

f*** everything about this team. From the top all the way to the bottom. The only thing I may have been able to enjoy, the twilight years of my favorite all-time Pens players, has a wet blanket thrown over it by all of the previously mentioned things.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just don't see a way things can possibly get better. It's not like the core is young and just playing bad. They are old and are only going to keep getting older.

The young players aren't world beaters, and even if they play well it's not like they are ever going to take over and win games for us single handedly.

The defense is probably worse than it was last year somehow.

Jarry is still here. The dude that doesn't know how to do anything else but let in backbreaking goal after backbreaking goal.

And lastly to top it all off, the coach has zero answers for any aspects of his teams game that aren't working, and hasn't for years. Yet somehow he's not even remotely close to being on the hot seat.

f*** everything about this team. From the top all the way to the bottom. The only thing I may have been able to enjoy, the twilight years of my favorite all-time Pens players, has a wet blanket thrown over it by all of the previously mentioned things.

Honestly the only reasons I can have for wanting to watch the Penguins at this point is seeing how many points Crosby can get and how McGroarty does. Call it being overly negative but this team is old and stale.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Honestly the only reasons I can have for wanting to watch the Penguins at this point is seeing how many points Crosby can get and how McGroarty does. Call it being overly negative but this team is old and stale.
Same, and if I'm being truly honest with myself, I'd rather see Crosby get traded and McG sent down. It's what would be best for the team in the long run, and for both of those players individually.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
That article yesterday about how Sullivan is an incredible teacher of the game who has done a ton of things we just don't understand has somehow already aged like room temp milk in the span of like 12 hours lol
I'd just love for one person with one critical thinking braincell to ask a follow up question.

"Name one thing you've taught that led to the teams overall improvement on the ice."

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The craziest part is how the Penguins acquired a generational defenseman and he looks like an absolute nobody.

I would say he's being bugged by whatever is ailing him plus missing a whole training camp but lol... what did he miss and this is how he largely looked all last year soooooooooo...

You'd think such a brilliant teacher would be able to get the most out of a guy with that much talent. Funny how that works.

But he DID teach him up last year... remember?!?

Surely you aren't saying that was to his detriment?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I get the frustration. I honestly do but I don't think it's a problem with Dubas's "vision". His "vision" is roughly the same as Hextall's, it's the one that I imagine every single GM would have for the Penguins as well. The reality is that we are destined to be in a middle-ground purgatory for a couple of years. This is the tax payment for 15 years of cup contention and having the privilege of having two all-time greats on the roster. We are half-in and half-out. Whether or not anyone agrees with that approach is irrelevant because that's what the organization is doing. They aren't going all in and giving up prospects and draft capital for win-now players and they aren't stripping it down to the studs and discarding guys like Malkin and Crosby. They are content with a balance. They will support Sid until he retires and then rebuild.

They are going to collect young players and picks to bolster the next generation. That is hardly controversial. It doesn't matter that McGroarty isn't the next Iginla. It doesn't matter is Pono isn't the next Malkin. It doesn't matter that Brunicke is back in Juniors. These aren't meant to be foundational players that you build around. They are meant to be support players. No different than Orpik, Whitney, Armstrong, and the slew of young guys they traded for and collected from 2000 to 2005. Then when you really suck circa 2027 and you get that 1ov and next big thing, you have the supporting cast to put around them. You want to be New York or LA when they add Laf/Kakko or Byfield. You don't want to be Chicago, who adds Bedard and surrounds him with absolute garbage, except for the fading mercenaries who are only willing to come to your hellhole because of money.

The Predators are an interesting example but I don't think it's a stretch by any means to say that's the exception not the rule. They gave up McD and Askarov. Those are two BIG assets. They gambled on Saros who is 29 (which is fine) and they gambled on being able to replace McD via FA in Skjei. Meanwhile, they added several guys who are well north of 30. The Pens and the Preds are NOT in the same part of their cycle. They are essentially where the Penguins were circa 2018/2019. If we added a 34yo and 30yo 40g wings, we all would have cheered. If they added them in FA this year, we would have all groaned (rightfully). But interestingly enough, we could easily be where they are next season. Trading Pettersson and Blomqvist out for 1sts and then adding Taylor Hall and Sam Bennett. But is that a better version for the team moving forward?

I am forced to take you off ignore and I see you're still laying down the same pile of shit posts that you were 8 months ago. Good. f***ing. Lord.

Please do everyone two favors: 1. Stop making GDTs and 2. Leave forever if you hate it this much.
I am going to ignore the last two paragraphs because quite frankly I don't know WTF you are talking about there.

Would we really all have groaned this summer had we signed Stamkos? That is a free asset, no picks or prospects surrendered. AND, he improves the power play instantly. What was the downside? Higher expectations? We will always have high expectations when you have Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson. That's just facts. Tom Werner said it is about Stanley Cups. Oh really? Then sign the best UFA on the market. You can STILL get younger that way, because you should have traded Eller, never acquired Hayes or Grz, etc. etc.

We would be so much better off right now without Grz, Hayes, Lizotte, Beauvillier and Glass, but with Stamkos, Brunicke, Puustinen and say one more healthy prospect from the farm.

Also, if Dubas is mirroring Hextall in any way, shape or form, how is that a valid argument?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad