GDT: Game 2: Lightning at Blackhawks | Oct. 5, 2013 | 7:00 PM CT | CSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Exactly. I can honestly understand casual fans, especially those in other cities, not recognizing the value that Toews brings to the Blackhawks …. But for a Hawk fan to come on here and compare the 2 players quoting offensive stats speaks volumes of their knowledge of the game. I apologize for being so blunt. There’s no doubt that Kane did come through in the finals with some fine play but the team would not have even been there without Toews leadership and some gritty play by many - especially when Wings had us in a deep hole in the 2nd round. Then in the finals it was Toews and sometimes Bickell who led the way physically, taking on Chara in the blue paint and allowing Kane to do his thing…. with Crawford once again holding his own between the pipes.

As for the CS Trophy. I was tough to pick, just as it was in 2010. The most consistent Hawk throughout the playoffs was Crawford, and in the end I thought it would be a toss-up between he and Kane for MVP, with honourable mention to Bickell, Toews and Seabs (because of his clutch goals and leadership). But as cliché as it sounds, it was a true team effort in capturing what’s important, the Stanley Cup.

And the team wouldn't have been there without Kane's offensive contribution either...nor would they have won without his offensive contribution in 2010. The fact he is not a great player defensively and is not particularly physical does not diminish the immense contribution he makes to the team. The fact he won the CS in 2013 says that I am not as lacking in knowledge as you claim. And whether you agree with me that he deserved it in 2010, I am certainly not the only one who feels that way.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I also would've given it to Keith in 2010, but didn't really have a problem with Toews winning it.

Just a shame that it kept Keith from getting the clean sweep in 2010. Olympic gold, Norris, Stanley Cup, and Conn Smythe. That's a career's worth of accomplishments in one year. But that's still true even without the Conn Smythe.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Toews had 1 more point than Kane and pulled a disappearing act in the final round. Like in 2013, Kane is the guy who turns up when it matters most.

Toews was up against the best Dman in the league, Kane was sheltered far more than Toews. Disappearing act? Only if you don't understand hockey, at all.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Toews was up against the best Dman in the league, Kane was sheltered far more than Toews. Disappearing act? Only if you don't understand hockey, at all.

and was shutdown by then. i don't know how you could have watched the final in 2010 and thought he looked great in it. the earlier rounds maybe, but he wasn't great in the final. sorry.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
IMO there was no standout for the Conn Smythe. Crawford was very good, but was probably more a product of how the team was playing in front of him than anything else. I don't think we can even point to a game that he stole in the playoffs. Maybe OT of game 1 of the SCF...but even then Rask was the better goalie in regulation.

This cup win was a major team victory with no real standouts. If I had to give it to anyone besides Kane, I'd probably go with Bickell. But I'm fine with Kaner getting it. Hammer was actually one of the best players in the playoffs, but they don't give those awards to SAH defensemen.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
and was shutdown by then. i don't know how you could have watched the final in 2010 and thought he looked great in it. the earlier rounds maybe, but he wasn't great in the final. sorry.

Kane would of too, fortunately for him, he got dream matchups compared to Toews. Toews drawing the best Dman from the other team certainly helped Kane just as much as Kanes scoring helped the Hawks.

Kane wasn't even 2nd on my Conn Smythe vote.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Debateable, but yes, Keith was definitely up there with Pronger.

In 2010, I had Keith as the CS trophy winner, with Toews a very close second. After all, he lost half of his teeth for that SC. But seriously, Keith had a great PO series. I think we'll look back one day and say that was Keith at the pinnacle of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad