Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - Edmonton at Vancouver: Looking for a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Unfortunately predicted. Desharnais can't quick decision at this level against speed forecheck. If he has time he can look like an NHL D and even make passes. But he's slow footed, and his playoff game is increasingly limited to just trying to bang puck out to nowhere. Just so the quicker Canucks retrieve it and come back endlessly. The amount of times our D just gave the puck away in game one is concerning. Only Ekholm and Booch pair were making plays and using their skill to get good outs.

VD is decent on pk. He's not bad without the puck, or boxing out. With the puck he tends not to be much.
Agreed on all of that.
Kulak gets a pass to me because he didn't look bad even with having to cover for Desharnais constantly. Dude is a different player in the playoffs.
Maybe Kulak-Stecher should be our second pair for a bit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think old Perry would have bee fine in the mid 90s to early 00s but the NHL game is predicated on speed more than ever especially in the playoffs and he's falling woefully behind. His vet leadership is valuable but you can't lead if you're constantly behind the play.

The Oilers lineup in general is just not fast enough and a lot of the fast players lack a hockey brain. The only real plus skaters the Oilers have are McDavid, McLeod, Foegele, Holloway, Nurse and Kulak. There are others that can rev it up like Drai and RNH, Hyman is fine too once he gets going, Janmark occasionally will flash but in general they don't play with lots of pace. The right side D in particular is a real issue. You've got Bouchard who is an average skater then two guys who skate in cement in Ceci and Desharnais. The goalie is slow too. It's an issue that was never really addressed.
Remember all my slow and old comments? The primary thing Vancouver has over us is pace. How they use this effectively against us is they flood to pucks in coverage. When Nucks don't have puck they outman immediately to get it back. The Oilers look constantly surprised as Nucks are quick to pucks. Even McD getting stripped lots of times.

How they Oilers have to counter this is using their skill on pucks to make plays, to get pucks to players beyond the Nucks coverage. To find the open player outlets. Nucks will attack in force outmanning with 3.4 players in area. You have to work puck through that contain. Its how you beat what Canucks are doing. Oilers haven't been doing that. They can. My worry is this Oilers team in the past have had some difficulty picking this kind of pressure scheme. We can't skate with the Nucks but our talent should be able to move pucks quicker with skilled passes and skilled puck possession.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
McDavid needs to show up for the rest of the series. With Draisaitl injured, and only Hyman doing anything of value up front, AND our bottom 4 defense not being able to handle simple forechecks and breakouts, AND Stu rotating in 4+ GA stinkers every few games... how much McDavid brings might be the deciding factor in how far we go here.

Be nice to see our actual offense tonight on their toes. Tired of this sit back and hope strategy with the lead. You need more than 15 shots a game, jeebus.

Reactions: sepHF

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
We cannot afford anymore skinner shitting the bed games. Lose tonight and it’s over imo. Yes I am still bitter at them blowing a 4 to 1 lead and skinner being terrble
They were only ahead because Vancouver's goalie gifted them the lead

Whole team needs to be WAY better. They got embarassed by Vancouver last game, it wasn't on Skinner.

Reactions: PuckG

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

Whole team needs to be WAY better. They got embarassed by Vancouver last game, it wasn't on Skinner.
It doesn’t matter how they were in the leadI. The lead.. at all. They were period

It 100 percent was on skinner for 3 bad goals. We never gave them much despite the lack of offense. No one wins with goaltending like that and it kills momentum

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really love this channel, and this analysis of game 1:

I mean, we all know we played like shit and have more to show, but it's still an interesting analysis.

The analysis on how aggressively Nucks pressure in Ozone with different levels, just to outnumber matches my own. The Oilers weren't reading this and had options taken away. The Oilres also guilty of assuming puck out and not being ideal puck support. Getting outmanned in areas in ownzone leads to turnovers. Still, so many plays if the Oilers just got the puck out of the pressure they would have an odd man rush. So frustrating they weren't hitting those after the first period.

The analysis is right. Nucks are suspect and pasive in own zone. The key is to make them play there. But the Nucks whole scheme focuses on pressuring so much in Ozone to keep pucks there. Defending through offense and having the puck if you will.

For the Oilers team though its a fail to let the Canucks have more puck possession and more ozone time. Nucks won both those battles in game one. That can't happen.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
No one has seen this team's best yet, or even close to it. I suspect they are feeling their backs against the wall a little bit and they will come out and torch the Canucks, who are breathing deeply of their hype. If Draisaitl is in tonight, I predict the Oilers will stomp the Canucks into the ground. We're going to see a totally different team.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Don't know about this either. Maybe its different if you live here. Albertans tend to despise Vancouver, lower mainland even for reasons not even remotely hockey. Can't get into that. Hell most of BC interior dislikes the lower mainland. So getting kicked in the sack by the sorry canucks every game in season and the way we lost in game 1. f*** man, any reaction to that is valid. That was a shitshow.

Do I think Oilers win? Sure. Do I think they can get a 1 or 2 goal against game(s) sure. But it sure is time for the team to wake up and we don't know that happens till we see it.

Losing 5 games in a row, every game to Vancouver, is as bad as if it were Calgary. Just the way I feel. I despise the Canucks.

To add losing to team VanEurope is disgusting as well. Oilers are Team Canada with the most Canadian players. I expect a lot better.
we all expected a win and it was looking like that for a bit. Titantic had a smooth start to its maiden voyage as well and encountered problems. We are not the Titantic, hopefully they have seen the iceberg well in advance and we can correct the problem.
Lets face it, we stopped playing the last 1/2 of the game. After Nuge missed that chance, it went down hill. I gotta get pregame nap for this one. Im into a stretch of working 8 straight, starting today. Be working some nights so I'll be able to watch no problem. I'll be a zombie tomorrow

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
The two things that are overly concerning:

1. Drai is injured
2. they haven't beat them in 5 games
3. Skinner

I guess that is three

Eliminate those three issues, and they can win.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Except Vancouver won with shitty goaltending because their skaters actually showed up.

Everyone, including Skinner, was bad.
Nothing u says changes that with average goaltending we win… we held them to nothing they scored on bad outside shots that should have been stopped

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
we all expected a win and it was looking like that for a bit. Titantic had a smooth start to its maiden voyage as well and encountered problems. We are not the Titantic, hopefully they have seen the iceberg well in advance and we can correct the problem.
Lets face it, we stopped playing the last 1/2 of the game. After Nuge missed that chance, it went down hill. I gotta get pregame nap for this one. Im into a stretch of working 8 straight, starting today. Be working some nights so I'll be able to watch no problem. I'll be a zombie tomorrow
We've hit an iceberg every playoffs and been sunk. I don't think Vancouver is that but the Conference final sure has some foreboding looks. Again if one is watching these other teams they are playing a more playoff unpacked game than the Oilers are.

Difference in our reactions to game would be you are busy working and I'm retired. I have more time for idle hands in to think too much about the game and stuff. haha. This was not a good game to watch being retired. Let me tell you. haha

Maybe due to the one week break and other scheduling problems late in season but the Oilers don't have that playoff step. They had it for a couple games in LA series and now have played 3 underwhelming playoff games in a row.
Kudos to you though being an East Coaster and referencing Titanic. Never forget going look around the Cemeteries in Halifax and seeing interned from the Titanic or learning more about the massive Bedford harbor explosion. The single biggest detonation in world history until Hiroshima.

The two things that are overly concerning:

1. Drai is injured
2. they haven't beat them in 5 games
3. Skinner

I guess that is three

Eliminate those three issues, and they can win.
4) If the Oilers score more goals they will win. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Except Vancouver won with shitty goaltending because their skaters actually showed up.

Everyone, including Skinner, was bad.
Nailed it.

Skinner sucked, yes. But so did the entire team in front of you when the Canucks possessed the puck the entire second half of the game and you put 4 something shots on their net.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
We've hit an iceberg every playoffs and been sunk. I don't think Vancouver is that but the Conference final sure has some foreboding looks. Again if one is watching these other teams they are playing a more playoff unpacked game than the Oilers are.

Difference in our reactions to game would be you are busy working and I'm retired. I have more time for idle hands in to think too much about the game and stuff. haha. This was not a good game to watch being retired. Let me tell you. haha

Maybe due to the one week break and other scheduling problems late in season but the Oilers don't have that playoff step. They had it for a couple games in LA series and now have played 3 underwhelming playoff games in a row.
Kudos to you though being an East Coaster and referencing Titanic. Never forget going look around the Cemeteries in Halifax and seeing interned from the Titanic or learning about the massive Bedford harbor explosion. The single biggest detonation in world history until Hiroshima.

4) If the Oilers score more goals they will win. ;)
At 15 shots a night or whatever they have been doing, this is not even possible? They have to win some other way...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nailed it.

Skinner sucked, yes. But so did the entire team in front of you when the Canucks possessed the puck the entire second half of the game and you put 4 something shots on their net.
Skinner allowed 4GA in 24mins while seeing only one HDSC in that timeframe. Sure the Canucks had puck a lot. They were not getting inside and were not getting into dangerous areas. The only difficult one was the Miller goal, brilliantly executed. Goals 1, 2, 4, 5 were weak.

You think the Rangers throw wins back when they get outplayed all game by CArolina in two games? They won both those in OT because Shesterkin standing on his head making 50 stops in a game. In a game that wasn't even close. In a game that Canes threw so much at net they tired themselves out like Foreman against Ali. Rangers just said thanks for having god in net and took over game in OT and bagged another W.

If the oilers play like that ever its guaranteed loss time and not even close.

The whole job of a goalie is to stop pucks. To make quality saves. Skinner is allowing more goals than making quality stops. Again on 11 nuck scoring chances they pumped 5 goals, 2 goalposts and another shot that somehow hit Skinners stick shaft instead of going in empty net. That ain't good.

The players started playing scared soon as it was 4-2. Both teams got a look at Skinner being shaky in net. It unravelled us. Players were scared of making turnovers so not making any plays. Oilers played as if they were scared of even allowing shots and one could see why.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
My 3 concerns.

1. Draisitl is likely compromised. even if he plays he was a shell of himself after the injury. Was our best player before hand. And unfortunately.. (looks at McDavid) it wasn't even close.

2. Pressure. This team has not shown the ability to deal with pressure. They lose overtime games. And they were obviously intimidated by the Vancouver crowd imo. They played scared Wednesday imo. Hence the poor decisions, bobbled pucks, and brutal passing.

3. Vancouver. They have yet to play a single game against this team and not looked like a pile of shit. I don't know how anyone thinks the Oilers were playing anything close to what they were capable of even after the 4-1 lead. Is Vancouver just too fast for this team? Because we looked sloooooooooow.

Oilers can win but they HAVE to match the heart and commitment of the Canucks. They haven't done that once this year.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad