Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - Edmonton at Vancouver: Looking for a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Hiller shutdown LA when he buried that team in 1-3-1 assignments and insisted on it. The only times Kings played well and with a bit of gusto was when they were trailing multiple goals and the coach let the players play. That said all you had to do in the Kings series was stop, That was it, that was all. No other forward was scoring shit. On the whole club.
Vancouver is just a younger, faster, more skilled team than LA. I'd say they skate better than the Oilers and they are aggressive. Also it is very difficult to sit back on the lead in today's NHL. Dallas also blew a big lead in game 1 against Colorado and is now barely holding to a 1-goal lead after being up four goals with less than 20 minutes remaining.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Draisaitl's injury was a big factor. In addition to other things, it unsettled the team when it was already in the defense-first mode. Skinner, Nurse, and some other players did not have a good game.
Drai and Henrique are the two best transition forwards the Oilers have. Their transition game pretty much disappeared without them. Both are premium at outs and setting up the NZ rush. You can lose one of those guys but losing both is a huge gutcheck.

Vancouver is just a younger, faster, more skilled team than LA. I'd say they skate better than the Oilers and they are aggressive. Also it is very difficult to sit back on the lead in today's NHL. Dallas also blew a big lead in game 1 against Colorado and is now barely holding to a 1-goal lead after being up four goals with less than 20 minutes remaining.
Not more skilled. Not on paper. Just that Nucks play a far better system and a system much more likely to give us some problems.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pretty much for the regular season Skinner is a league average goalie. Come playoff time everything notches up, everything.

In 18 playoff starts he now has a 3.34 GAA and a .888 SV%. Which quite frankly is not close to good enough to win a cup.

The Oilers have to either
A) Play perfect in front of him which we all know happens maybe 1 out of every 5 games or

B) Outscore the opponent which the ability to do so has put this team in the playoffs for multiple years but doesn't work in the playoffs nearly the way it does in the regular season.
So far the only clubs we've beat in playoffs the last number of years with either Smith or Skinner as starter is LA and Calgary. I hope we add Vancouver to that list. Against primo clubs you can't have your starting goalie just folding in games. Well the AV's can but they are dangerous no matter what.

As I type this Dallas shitting the bed good and proper. Man, two games in a row where they've given up big leads at home. The fans are stressed..

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Drai and Henrique are the two best transition forwards the Oilers have. Their transition game pretty much disappeared without them. Both are premium at outs and setting up the NZ rush. You can lose one of those guys but losing both is a huge gutcheck.

Not more skilled. Not on paper. Just that Nucks play a far better system and a system much more likely to give us some problems.
The Nucks are quite good at taking away space, intercepting passes, and counter-attacking with speed. But I wonder what would happen if the Oilers were not so sloppy defensively. The 2nd and 3rd and 5th goals were completely unnecessary.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100% blowing a 5-4 lead. Obviously.

This team just showed they could play bad and almost win the game without the best player in the league even playing a factor. They literally played their worst game of the playoffs and had a 3 goal lead halfway through the game.

Losing 5-1 shows you didn't even stand a chance.

God this place gets toxic after a loss. Dallas blew a 3 goal league to lose their game 1 at home, do you think they're also screwed?
Dallas very nearly got screwed for a 2nd loss tonight at home. They completely folded in third, gave up 3 goal comeback again. Barely escaped with the victory.

You should never want to show a team in a playoff round that they can comeback on you 3 goals. Thats a real bad idea.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Dallas very nearly got screwed for a 2nd loss tonight at home. They completely folded in third, gave up 3 goal comeback again. Barely escaped with the victory.

You should never want to show a team in a playoff round that they can comeback on you 3 goals. Thats a real bad idea.

That's one perspective. Seravalli's perspective is that's the kick in the balls this team needs to smarten up and start taking themselves seriously. He also agrees that we can't give freebies to Dallas or Colorado but this came at a perfect time because we can come back from this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's one perspective. Seravalli's perspective is that's the kick in the balls this team needs to smarten up and start taking themselves seriously. He also agrees that we can't give freebies to Dallas or Colorado but this came at a perfect time because we can come back from this.
Well hopefully. I agree its better for this to happen against Nucks then against real contenders but giving a game away is rarely a good idea.

Still think we win but why make it much harder?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Well Dallas are probably screwed ultimately. Very much the same as when they gave up a 3 goal lead to the Oilers in 1997 and lost game 3. It doesn't kill you immediately, but it does in the long run. Its always in your head that no lead is safe. The doubt from that point doesn't go away.

Against peak clubs like Colorado losing games you should've managed to win is no recipe for success. If Colorado manages one more goal in the last few minutes shit could be hitting the fan again. AV's really would be in Stars heads by now. No lead is safe. Not even a 4-0 lead. Dallas can't feel good about that.

edit. Dallas very nearly f***ed it up again. AV's scored 3 goals in third period and had 4mins left to get a tying goal. Dallas Stars players literally shitting themselves on ice buttclenching the barely obtained win. Dallas look f***ed. No lead is safe.
Dallas is a tricky team. They are extremely resilient. Lost 2 games to Vegas at home but ultimately prevailed. That series will be difficult for both teams.

Reactions: Mr Positive

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
giphy (3).gif

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm sure Fart Spector is jerking off with glee about it.
Spec is such a divisive dude. Hated as a homer and kiss ass for his ridiculous homer fluff pieces, yet hated by his own fans and some players for his way of coming across as a massive dick in scrums.
The vitrol he spewed last night towards your team in the scrum took me by surprise

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I wonder a bit about the preparation for last game with the layoff.

The team just hit a wall in the second period and one guy even cramps up (if that's the whole truth of course).

Makes you wonder if they mishandled their recovery and buildup.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Dont think they beating them self twice in a week. Its a much better team then earlier years 2 mans shows.

The worst is that you fears that Stu get injured, even after last games shitshow.

Hope they coming out hard and not back off on leads.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Saw this from Jonathan Willis- yesterday, Knob mainly matched Ekholm Bouchard against the Miller line, Kulak and Vinny against the Petterson line, which left Ceci and Nurse with the 3rd line of Lindholm, Joshua and Garland. That line outchanced them 12-1 and scored 3 goals on them to boot. They can't even handle 3rd pair competition.
Nurse.gif

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Saw this from Jonathan Willis- yesterday, Knob mainly matched Ekholm Bouchard against the Miller line, Kulak and Vinny against the Petterson line, which left Ceci and Nurse with the 3rd line of Lindholm, Joshua and Garland. That line outchanced them 12-1 and scored 3 goals on them to boot. They can't even handle 3rd pair competition.
Nurse-Ceci pairing killed this team two playoffs in a row. How Holland decided to not improve on that is inexcusable.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

It’s the Oilers way to shoot themselves in the foot.

That said even with 29 not at 100%, if McDavid is playoff McDavid, they tighten things up defensively, Skinner plays like Game 4 LA Skinner and Nurse / Ceci grow brains we should still win in 6.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
someone mentioned it but I wonder if going from such a passive system in LA to a much more aggressive system in Vancouver was a shock to them....hopefully they've found a way to adjust
Last game wasn't aggressive at all. Both team were sleeping except one team decided to shoot the puck

Reactions: frag2

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
So far the only clubs we've beat in playoffs the last number of years with either Smith or Skinner as starter is LA and Calgary. I hope we add Vancouver to that list. Against primo clubs you can't have your starting goalie just folding in games. Well the AV's can but they are dangerous no matter what.

As I type this Dallas shitting the bed good and proper. Man, two games in a row where they've given up big leads at home. The fans are stressed..
Huge difference as well Dallas has given up big leads at home, we gave it up on the road. Like most say we had a decent game. We just sat back on a lead trying not to loose instead of trying to win which in turn lead to an abysmal 5 minute stretch that lost us the game

I assume Draisaitl injury in the second has something to do with the game plan changing and focusing on trying to protect the lead.... which as we found out didn't fking work lol

And Dallas has an elite goalie in ottinger to boot 🤦

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I wonder a bit about the preparation for last game with the layoff.

The team just hit a wall in the second period and one guy even cramps up (if that's the whole truth of course).

Makes you wonder if they mishandled their recovery and buildup.
It's more then cramps let's be real, cramps don't keep you off the ice the next day for practice. Prime time to test out what ever was ailing you.

See if he is on the ice today

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Hmm I thought he said it was cramping and equipment. Doesn't look good for Drai. I still think we beat the Canucks in 6 or 7 but I honestly dont think it matters because we are not good enough to get past the Avs or Stars, likely the Avs.
I think the Stars squeak it out

Spent a 1st+ on 2 guys for the playoffs and one’s injured (and only okay) and the other isn’t dressed.

Nurse and Ceci shit the bed and Stecher won’t even sniff play time.

This orgs love for Nurse and Ceci is going to be its downfall.
Plan C baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad