Pre-Game Talk: Game 2 - Edmonton at Vancouver: Looking for a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Knoblauch is pissin' me off not gonna lie. Also why didn't he call a timeout last game?
What's a timeout

Which is why they riot when they lose in the finals. Very entitled group
Actually we joke about that but in many ways they likely are a very entitled group. Well above average. Never really thought about it that way before

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My guess with Draisaitl is back spasms. Just looking where Myers got him in the lower back and if that was the bump he took that set it off. Just a hunch but I think he might be out until game 3 or 4 at minimum.

But then again he also gets world class care us peasants don’t get.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
What's a timeout

Actually we joke about that but in many ways they likely are a very entitled group. Well above average. Never really thought about it that way before

Really to me it comes down to a few things. Sedin Era anywhere on the internet (here for example), and in person. They felt like it was just a matter of time that they would win a Cup. When it didn't happen, they rioted (and they did in 1994 beforehand). I've beat this drum a few times but it's not normal sports fan behaviour to riot with losses, typically it's with team success. Then the Benning era / rebuild, didn't do much to humble them unlike most fanbases (this one, for one has become one of the most humble and skeptical after the DoD IMO).

Small bit of success during the bubble was already starting to get crazy, but quickly failed and went back to being a lotto team. More drudgery. Throwing jerseys on the ice last year (I won't criticize that, this fanbase and plenty of others have as well), the Bruce fiasco, just general misery. The game I went to last January had a very angry vibe (in and around the Bruce firing, I think it was right after). It seemed like some humble pie might have actually been on the menu

Fast forward to the hot start this year, and Sedin Era 2.0 behaviour is quite apparent, complete with hyperbolic self-deception and willingness to ignore or pick and choose advanced stats to suit the narrative (human nature, to be fair). What really set it home for me was seeing the crazy celebrations after one win in the first round. It seemed way too exuberant for something that was just one game, felt more like a 'post series win' celebration. Then the fans yelling and angrily chanting "f*** McDavid" "f*** Hyman" etc. Now there are reports of Oilers fans being assaulted and their property destroyed in Vancouver after just one win. The brain trust on HFCanucks, Reddit etc also doing some heavy gaslighting after one win.

The level of anger and entitlement we see online and in viral videos, eye-witness reports has "riot coming soon" written all over it.

Guess we'll see

BlackDogg

Oct 3, 2015
Note that when the Oilers say Day to Day it’s a euphemism for Career Ending Amputation.

Draisaitl probably isn’t gonna be anywhere close to 100% if he comes back.
Was thinking when they were up 4-1, how they really need to win that game in case they needed to rest drai the next game.

Now they f***ed that up too.

For a team that had the rapid zombie fans angrily yelling and slurring at them, they certainly didn't have much for fight in them.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

2631af3b-3173-48d6-9fd4-2a7808f5c20d_text.gif

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Can’t let these guys destroy us like we did the Flames. Their fans don’t deserve it either and yes they’ll riot again if they make it far and lose yet again. They might even riot if we win this series..

Very superficial and shallow place, I love and hate Vancouver. There will be people ready to loot designer shit, sad to say.

I saw the first Nucks flag on a car just today. They had to wait until they won game 1 against us I suppose.

Edit: shoutout to my Canuck coworkers. Only the douche sales guy was overly cocky today and trying to rub it in, but he’s that personality type. Everyone else is pretty cool and they’re old enough to hate the dynasty Oilers. One guy even wore an Oilers hat last year and believe it or not he’s the most optimistic fan without being a crazy douche about it, guy just wanted to support another Canadian team and he’s a true hockey fan.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
My guess with Draisaitl is back spasms. Just looking where Myers got him in the lower back and if that was the bump he took that set it off. Just a hunch but I think he might be out until game 3 or 4 at minimum.

But then again he also gets world class care us peasants don’t get.
I’m wondering what the best strategy is. If he’s questionable and rest would help I think you sit him, hope the team guts out a win without him and get him back better in game 3. If he’s not great and plays there’s a good chance you lose the game anyways and then he might be worse off for game 3.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m wondering what the best strategy is. If he’s questionable and rest would help I think you sit him, hope the team guts out a win without him and get him back better in game 3. If he’s not great and plays there’s a good chance you lose the game anyways and then he might be worse off for game 3.
Not gutting out squat without Leon and no shots on net 97.

BlackDogg

Oct 3, 2015
I like regular season Nuge, but experiencing Mitch Hopkins in the playoffs is getting tiring.
I thought he played like Anthony, but that works too

Best strategy is needles full of anesthetics until game is over

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Fair enough but if you’re gonna lose with him gimping around the ice and make the situation worse you sit him.
You think the situation is worse if Henrique is out and Drai is limping around and you pull Gagner and maybe Erne in? Carrick should already be in to move Ryan out for size. I’m not trying to be negative but Drai out is a huge hole that they don’t fill or even have a plug to fill the hole partly (and I used that word purposely).

Drai on one leg 2 years ago was better than many players against Calgary . I’d take my chances.

Reactions: Messrules11

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Lack of timeout usage has pissed me off from the last three or four Oiler coaches. It's really a valuable commodity if used at the right time.
I remember a timeout from one of the recent previous seasons. Our young guys vs some old guys (Kings?) and the coach finally used a timeout for once, after the old opponents iced the puck late in the game. Our young guys did not need rest! The other team was huffing and puffing

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
See I don't get why these reports act so timidly. "Darnell as a group do you think you need to get back to more body checking?"

Why are they so scared to tell him straight up "is there any reason you only have 1 body check in 5 games?"

Reactions: Heavy Dee

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Here are my keys to the game in no particular order (that we have control over, won't mention goaltending):

1) Shelter Nurse and Ceci by eliminating them from participating in defensive zone draws whenever possible, get them any matchup other than the Nuck third line (any line that isn't as heavy on the forecheck). No more than about 15 minutes of ice is necessary.

2) Ban stretch passes, period.

3) Ban defensemen from passing when their feet aren't moving, period.

4) If Drai is hobbled, play him on Connor's left wing, move Janmark back to the 4th line, play Henrique at 2C if available, Nuge if not

5) Shoot the f***ing puck at all opportunities

6) Get the puck the f*** off the wall in the D zone. Rimmed pucks around the wall should result in a few shifts off at best, benching at worst.

7) If you have no option, punt the f***ing puck or eat the puck. Do not swing it around the wall, or stand on the wall looking to make a pass.

8) Get f***ing working

We basically did almost all of these things in the LA series, but I guess a week off caused us to go completely stupid again. These aren't complicated fixes, they just need to play like actual professionals.
I like it. But what is "eat the puck"? Pin the puck and hold on for support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad