GDT: Game #18: St. Louis Blues @ Boston Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
There's a few guys in here that I feel might not be happy if they won 70 games just because of the twelve they lost.

Should of won. All the time. Every time. Good teams dont lose.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Wasn't the Blues best game, but it wasn't a horrible game either. They gifted Boston one goal and the second came off what looked like a body deflection against the 4th line. The rest was a bucket of squandered opportunities by both teams.

Thought the Blues had the better transition play, and the Bruins the better interior play. Refs let a ton of crap go, and I think Boston did a better job of taking advantage of that.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Meh. Whatevs. Just lost the majority of puck battles and were brutal in the dot, but we can play with the Bruins. I always feel like they come out tentative against them. I remember last year when we won in Boston, it was a bad game but fortunately, we put a few away and (I think) won in a shootout. They let Boston get their forecheck going early...which is never good. Then again, when teams let us do that, we usually dominate the game too.

Excited for Montreal. Have enjoyed this match up over the years.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Thought Tarasenko did a really good job, creating his own chances again tonight, Rask made some really good saves against him tonight.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I believe the Blues got out coached tonight. It's not like our play was bad per se, it just wasn't effective.

Boston knew we don't do well with shots from the outside. They collapsed down and took away penetration to the net. The Blues had no answer, just as they haven't had a answer for other teams that play that defensive strategy. It's one of the reasons we can't seem to beat LA.

Another thing that Boston did was take away the drop pass with a strong positional man-on-man strategy. Because we don't seem to move the puck in the offensive zone without half-wall/corner cycles, drop passes, or funneling the puck to the D, they were able to keep us from spreading out the D and moving to the center of the ice.

Finally, they used their size advantage and the uncalled picks and holds to their benefit. Boston went out of their way to finish checks and it rendered our guys timid with the puck. Plus, when we were trying to skate the puck we had no where to go because we couldn't create space on the cycle (finished checks and holds), could we make drop passes (bodies in lanes), nor could we cross ice or penetrate center (collapse into tight box).

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
It points to the same old problem: we can't beat the teams that play like us.

I hope we figure this out before March and April roll around.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I believe the Blues got out coached tonight. It's not like our play was bad per se, it just wasn't effective.

Boston knew we don't do well with shots from the outside. They collapsed down and took away penetration to the net. The Blues had no answer, just as they haven't had a answer for other teams that play that defensive strategy. It's one of the reasons we can't seem to beat LA.

Another thing that Boston did was take away the drop pass with a strong positional man-on-man strategy. Because we don't seem to move the puck in the offensive zone without half-wall/corner cycles, drop passes, or funneling the puck to the D, they were able to keep us from spreading out the D and moving to the center of the ice.

Finally, they used their size advantage and the uncalled picks and holds to their benefit. Boston went out of their way to finish checks and it rendered our guys timid with the puck. Plus, when we were trying to skate the puck we had no where to go because we couldn't create space on the cycle (finished checks and holds), could we make drop passes (bodies in lanes), nor could we cross ice or penetrate center (collapse into tight box).

This is a really good assessment. Our bigger bodies need to come through and open up the ice physically. Either that or they need to learn to skate like the STL line. Oshie can do this if he doesn't fall down after every two steps. He was in super baby giraffe mode tonight. What is he doing to correct this? It's easily the #1 factor holding him back from "the next level". We need that come playoff time.

Berglund MUST learn to finish (not just looking at this game; there were good reasons on some of the missed opportunities). This is his "next level". What is he doing to get there?

Can Backes play with the big boys? He seems to have lost his ability to deliver explosive hits. Stastny gets a pass (even though he doesn't connect any; rimshot).

Lindstrom looked better tonight, and that's all we can ask for now. Steen and Staz just need to click, and that will happen once Staz is 100%.

Pietrangelo actually looked better tonight (3rd period). Same goes for Bouwmeester. Cole and Jackman decided to make tonight their collective bad one, but, hey, if it's going to happen, tonight would have been the night to do it.

Overall, not that bad of a game. Without the gimme goals in the first and second, this would have been an entirely different game, and maybe outcome. Things started working in the third, once we decided to be more aggressive and work for the center of the ice and along the boards. We need to understand that when the defense is structured like that, we shouldn't be doing drop passes and cross-ice needle threading. Occasionally trying this out against a tired shutdown line is acceptable, but we have to adjust to working the middle (I'm looking at you, BOB). You've got to make them break their man-to-man and then pas to the point when they collapse. This was the Backes' line/ defensive pairings' game to win.

Onward to MTL. Not every game canbe a winner, but we need to use this as a measuring stick for where our team stands when the STL drop-pass fancy **** gets shutdown.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Like Hitch said, Boston kept us to the perimeter and that's why we lost. We had a lot of shots on goal but none of them were that great, and we had no 2nd or 3rd chances. Just one and done. Unfortunately, this is a recurring theme against teams like the Bruins, Kings, and Ducks it seems. Physical d-men CAN make a difference. You can't have all skilled guys back there. I still think we could use someone of a different mold than what we have, but I'm not arguing that our defense isn't good. I'm not worried about Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester. They know how to play. But, we could use somewhat of a more physical force back there and I've thought that for a while. Guys like Matt Greene have long kept our guys to the perimeter. Last night, Matt Bartkowski? He had a game for himself. No they aren't near as good as our top 4, but they still serve an important role that gets overlooked by our fanbase, IMO.

I do have hopes that everyone (Stastny, Steen, etc) will kick it into gear, EXCEPT the one player I am somewhat worried about is Backes.

Backes has played okay, but I still can't ignore the difference in his game between now and 8 months ago. It's an alarming difference to me because he looks like a different guy. At the end of last season he was still a machine out there. Now, in just a mere 8 months, he looks like he has aged about four years and simply isn't as strong on his skates or with his body anymore. That's concerning to me. I'd hope the Seabrook hit didn't do THAT much damage by itself.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm worried about Backes too, and as you said, there looks to be a physical difference...not just an "effort" factor

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
In Valen's name...

Nice reference.

My poor dogs didn't get any treats since the Blues got shut-out. And to make it worse, it was a road game so they heard the goal horn and looked at me expectantly. But I'm a firm master, so they have to wait for next game.

I think I'll go fix up a bowl of fresh spoo.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
So for some reason, ESPN is the only place that has the shot charts for the games, but it's a good thing to post after games like these.

P1
cseRbii.png

Shots in scoring areas: BOS: 5 STL: 4

P2
NIPGP4Q.png

Shots in scoring areas: BOS: 3 (Boston goal outside) STL: 4

P3
7uf9zhx.png

Shots in scoring areas: BOS: 2 STL:4

Totals: BOS: 10(+1) STL: 12

This game wasn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. No, we didn't get the second or third chances that we need to get against these types of teams, but on the defensive side, neither did they. There was obviously the one error by Cole, then what looked like a fluky deflection off a tired 4th line. These are things that you hope to be able to make up for and can if you penetrate the middle or get some bounces, but it just didn't happen. It won't happen every game over an 82 game season, and that's alright.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's a game like this against an elite goalie that just emphasizes the fact that we can't solely rely on Tarasenko and STL.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't think Steen has been as bad as people are saying he has been. He made a bad pass when we had the empty net but the guy is a one man show on his line right now. Stastny is either still hurt or forgot how to play hockey and Lindstrom is a player that will only succeed if his linemates are playing well.

The two players that worry me the most are Stastny and Pietrangelo. As much as I love Shatty, he cannot be our best defenseman come playoff time.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
It's a game like this against an elite goalie that just emphasizes the fact that we can't solely rely on Tarasenko and STL.

This says it all. When will others start producing? I won't hold my breath.

Bruins kept the Blues on the perimeter, where the 'note obviously struggle to score.

Nice gift Cole to Bergeron. Only good thing about this game was elite goalie Rask getting a SO for my HF's 14-15 team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This says it all. When will others start producing? I won't hold my breath.

Bruins kept the Blues on the perimeter, where the 'note obviously struggle to score.

Nice gift Cole to Bergeron. Only good thing about this game was elite goalie Rask getting a SO for my HF's 14-15 team.

Those guys will produce, but they aren't talented enough to beat an elite goalie when that goalie is on.

We probably won't get a gamebreaker that can do it on his own, that's just unrealistic, but we need another pure goalscorer that can beat a top goalie when they are on and also to benefit Stastny.

Steen has played well, but I think it's clear he over-performed last season and he can't play that goalscorer role. He's a great 2-way winger that works his butt off, he just isn't the 30+ goal scorer that we need to go deep in the playoffs. It's not a knock on Steen at all, just that I don't think he can properly perform his current role.

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
Boston here. Your team is sharp and play a very admirable style of hockey. I think our clubs have a lot in common and if they play 10 times, the results wouldn't be far from 5 to 5 with very exciting games. I hope you guys lay waste to MTL.

inglouriousbackes

Mar 11, 2011
Bellevegas, Illinois
i only listened to the game through the radio so I didn't have any insight on the gameplay besides the commentary. It is one of those games where it is a wake up on call in terms of differences in styles of play. I think Boston is pretty similar to us in terms of Physical play it was just a bad night.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So for some reason, ESPN is the only place that has the shot charts for the games, but it's a good thing to post after games like these.

P1
cseRbii.png

Shots in scoring areas: BOS: 5 STL: 4

P2
NIPGP4Q.png

Shots in scoring areas: BOS: 3 (Boston goal outside) STL: 4

P3
7uf9zhx.png

Shots in scoring areas: BOS: 2 STL:4

Totals: BOS: 10(+1) STL: 12

This game wasn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. No, we didn't get the second or third chances that we need to get against these types of teams, but on the defensive side, neither did they. There was obviously the one error by Cole, then what looked like a fluky deflection off a tired 4th line. These are things that you hope to be able to make up for and can if you penetrate the middle or get some bounces, but it just didn't happen. It won't happen every game over an 82 game season, and that's alright.
Good post. I'd definitely like to see more of these - especially against the top teams - Boston, LA, Anaheim, etc.

Those charts make me feel a little better, and maybe we should just give Rask credit.

We didn't play bad, we can obviously compete with them. So hopefully we can come back with a big win vs. Montreal.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I don't think Steen has been as bad as people are saying he has been. He made a bad pass when we had the empty net but the guy is a one man show on his line right now. Stastny is either still hurt or forgot how to play hockey and Lindstrom is a player that will only succeed if his linemates are playing well.

The two players that worry me the most are Stastny and Pietrangelo. As much as I love Shatty, he cannot be our best defenseman come playoff time.

My problems with steen isn't his willingness to dig or get the puck out of corners. It's his decisions and executions with the puck that make me see a much worse player than he was before he went on that scoring stream last year. He's consistently not finding his linemates when they are open,making bad passes into defensemens' sticks, and taking low % shots that are off target or in the breadbasket that kills the play. He is counted on to be a leader on this team in both ends, but hasn't been contributing well enough in the offensive end, especially when 5 on 5.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
My problems with steen isn't his willingness to dig or get the puck out of corners. It's his decisions and executions with the puck that make me see a much worse player than he was before he went on that scoring stream last year. He's consistently not finding his linemates when they are open,making bad passes into defensemens' sticks, and taking low % shots that are off target or in the breadbasket that kills the play. He is counted on to be a leader on this team in both ends, but hasn't been contributing well enough in the offensive end, especially when 5 on 5.

I can't say I agree, Steen had the nice set up to Bouwmeester in the third last night where he pulled up and looked for the late man. I personally think he's been fine, we all knew he wasn't going to replicate last season's performance, I think he's been playing up to what's expected from him.

There are many more players to criticize on this team before Steen, and one of those players is getting paid 7M a year.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
It points to the same old problem: we can't beat the teams that play like us.

I hope we figure this out before March and April roll around.

Give me a break, we beat them both times last year, and had won 7 straight in Boston at that point, they got a couple of bounces, and Rask made some real good saves. With a little puck luck, minus Cole's brainfart we could have just as easily won that game.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Those guys will produce, but they aren't talented enough to beat an elite goalie when that goalie is on.

We probably won't get a gamebreaker that can do it on his own, that's just unrealistic, but we need another pure goalscorer that can beat a top goalie when they are on and also to benefit Stastny.

Steen has played well, but I think it's clear he over-performed last season and he can't play that goalscorer role. He's a great 2-way winger that works his butt off, he just isn't the 30+ goal scorer that we need to go deep in the playoffs. It's not a knock on Steen at all, just that I don't think he can properly perform his current role.

Come on, no one scores every night, even Crosby, Malkin and the Pens get shut out when playing a hot goalie. Some times these games just happen, Frank had at least 2 shots, that might have been goals against anyone else. Our team is fine as it is, if Steen, Stast, Backes, Oshie, Bergy, Lindstom still aren't producing when the new year hits, then I'll start to worry. But shutouts happen man, that doesn't mean we don't have enough of the "right players."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad