Game #18: Kings vs. Sabres - 11/12/13 - Shootout Loss 3-2

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I'm not saying he played bad, he had a good game of course, but "stood on his head" to me means making several acrobatic saves. Especially considering our pop gun offense.

I saw him make several great saves. I mean even with our predictable shooting he stopped 43 shots, that alone shows he had an exceptional night. We may not have peppered him with a ton of high scoring % shots but the guy had to make several multi opp saves and stay on top of his game while being fronted by a team that looked absolutely awful. No Miller no win and worse a true beating. Did Miller have any "highlight reel saves?" I suppose that is debatable but my pov was that Miller had a huge game and was the only reason that the Sabres had any success tonight.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
After the performance the Kings showed after the first period I was glad to get a point.

Quick is going to get a much needed rest. Might be good for him come playoff time.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Eh, it's just like the Kings. I can count on all our stars to play great in all our big games and lay eggs against bad teams. It is hard to get up for these kind of games and I guess they just hoped their superior team strength will carry them through these kind of games which can work sometimes. It almost did tonight. I'm not angry. Just disappointed their team strength didn't make it a W tonight. Had it been the Kings being outshot 45-18 and looking listless, then that will be howling anger from me. Worst thing for me is Kopitar should at least act like he was trying tonight!

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Herby, using Lewis IS the message...

So the message couldn't have been sent by having Vey, a guy in his 3rd NHL game shooting over Kopi? It also would have given the Kings a more realistic chance of scoring.

I think it's just DS continuing to overuse and overplay his beloved bottom line grinders. Like I said, no different than having Stoll on the PP or Clifford on a scoring line.

Sadly we'll probably see it again when Clifford, Stoll and Carter come back. Carter will replace TT on the 2nd line, Stoll will boot Vey back to Manchester, Clifford sends Carcillo to the press box and then TT ends up skating on the RW with the two offensive black holes Stoll and Clifford. To bad because TT looks really good where he's at and Vey adds a much needed element of skill to the bottom six.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Because that's exactly what the bolded implies. It's really not that hard at all if you'd take five seconds to read what you write. It's a bad luck event and you state that is just our luck.

It's an expression. Do you actually know what the 'just our luck' or 'just my luck' expression even means? It's an expression when something bad happens. Quick got injured. Is that not something that is bad? In my books, yes it is.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Sure with Carter going 2nd...no Carter and you have to move him up...or at least use Brown or Williams or Toffoli...

He never had any intention of that, he was willing to sacrifice a point to make a point with Kopi and it's silly Farmer Darryl thinking.

Kings lose with Kopi sitting on the bench and no Carter...

Maybe. On the other hand, maybe Kopitar prefers that spot so he can study the goalie? I mean he's done well in that spot, maybe it's by mutual design?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
And it could've been worse. Like I said, they could've lost in regulation without that 2nd line then it would really be embarassing. Miller played his ass off tonight, he's no scrub. If the 2nd line allowed it to happen, we might as well blame Quick, too, for giving up two goals. Blame everyone. I'm just saying that there were certain guys on the ice tonight who were doing everything they could to get the win tonight. They don't deserve the blame for other guys taking the night off.

Sure, but there is no i in team. Win together, lose together, etc. etc.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I don't understand the line of thinking that Sutter was trying to get a message through to Kopi by putting Lewis in the SO, Kopi was still put in the top three to shoot!! If you want to send a message to Kopi, don't you not schedule him to shoot? Also, if you are trying to "send a message" there are still better players to do it with that don't severely limit the Kings chances at winning the game. I think that was an absolutely idiotic decision

KingKopitar11*

I don't understand the line of thinking that Sutter was trying to get a message through to Kopi by putting Lewis in the SO, Kopi was still put in the top three to shoot!! If you want to send a message to Kopi, don't you not schedule him to shoot? Also, if you are trying to "send a message" there are still better players to do it with that don't severely limit the Kings chances at winning the game. I think that was an absolutely idiotic decision

Idiotic if it wasn't a message.

If it was a message, he put one of the worst offensive player a turn ahead of him. That's a ***** slap if true to Kopitar. I think it's even worse that he put Kopi in the top 3, with Lewis ahead of him.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Wouldn't of mattered, no one got one passed Miller anyway.

They needed to score at least two.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Idiotic if it wasn't a message.

If it was a message, he put one of the worst offensive player a turn ahead of him. That's a ***** slap if true to Kopitar. I think it's even worse that he put Kopi in the top 3, with Lewis ahead of him.

Isn't that a slap in the face of everyone else who didn't shoot as well, a couple who played very good games? Toffoli played a very good game, and has three or four shootout goals in Manchester this year.

Wouldn't of mattered, no one got one passed Miller anyway.

They needed to score at least two.

That's easy to say when we basically only put out one shooter

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Isn't that a slap in the face of everyone else who didn't shoot as well, a couple who played very good games? Toffoli played a very good game, and has three or four shootout goals in Manchester this year.

That's easy to say when we basically only put out one shooter

I don't give a shi#$ who Sutter puts in shootouts, a team like the Kings shouldn't need them to beat teams like Buffalo...

I am more concerned with certain players constant disappearance in this type of games.

It looks like a concern to Sutter as well, Kopitar was benched at ES for a few shifts in the third.

KingKopitar11*

I think sending Kopitar a message is more important than putting Toffoli on.

I think he believes that one point is worth the sacrifice because if Kopitar is off the hook we can lose more than that in the near future.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Ugh. Just finished the DVR.

Somehow Dumbardi both traded the wrong goaltender AND while doing so failed to bring back the LW the club has needed since before he got here.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Did I miss something???

Where are you guys coming up with insertion of Lewis in the SO as a message to Kopi??? Wasn't Kopi the 3rd shooter but never got his turn???

I'm thinking Lewis was picked to replace Carter in the SO, probably because they had a practice SO drill like they do from time-to-time and Lewis probably won it.

Like I said, if I missed something, please enlighten me, but I don't think Lewis being in the SO was a message to Kopi or anyone.

KingKopitar11*

Did I miss something???

Where are you guys coming up with insertion of Lewis in the SO as a message to Kopi??? Wasn't Kopi the 3rd shooter but never got his turn???

I'm thinking Lewis was picked to replace Carter in the SO, probably because they had a practice SO drill like they do from time-to-time and Lewis probably won it.

Like I said, if I missed something, please enlighten me, but I don't think Lewis being in the SO was a message to Kopi or anyone.

Sutter probably thought we'd lose any ways because Scrivens just got off the bench any ways.

There's absolutely no reason why Kopitar would go after Lewis unless Kopitar is doing something DS doesn't like. My opinion. We would of lost the SO regardless and I think he took that opportunity to send a messagem

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
people please. Picking Lewis wasn't sending a message, it was Sutter being super dumb. If he was sending a message, why would he pick Richards and Kopitar to shoot aswell? Unless his message was, 'I feel like spewing some win equity away'. He has pulled stupid **** like this before in shootouts, it should be no suprise

jml87

Jun 27, 2011

Somehow Dumbardi both traded the wrong goaltender AND while doing so failed to bring back the LW the club has needed since before he got here.

And now we've reached the blame Quick point of the thread. I do believe I'm finished for the night.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

CeKWF.jpg

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

Junk like this is what gives those of us who bring-up legitimate concerns a bad name.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Anyone who doesn't think the shootout lineup wasn't a message to Kopitar didn't pay attention to the game. Kopi was drek tonite and with Carter out, they need more from him (and Brown). Kopi was easily our worst center tonite...Fraser was better and Richards was really good tonite.

He was the third shooter, there is no message to kopi. I really cant understand the love Lewis gets. If he's so great defensively then make him a d man. 0 points all year and he gets a shootout attempt is ********. I could understand if king got it but ****ing no O Lewis?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Junk like this is what gives those of us who bring-up legitimate concerns a bad name.

Pretty much this.

Team went full Pejorative Slur tonight. They didn't give a **** and didn't take te Sabres seriously whatsoever. I can't really blame them, either. That team is horrific.

It is what it is. Doughty was particularly crappy tonight. So was Sutter. Sending a message should never include giving points away. The scary thing is that Sutter would ice 23 Lewis's if he could.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Re-watching the game. Brutal situation for Scrivens.

And that Lewis attempt was textbook Lewis. Painful to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad