GDT: Game 17: Coyotes @ Penguins - 5PM - FSAZ

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Agreed. A little too eager sometimes perhaps, but he was head and shoulders above any other d-man on the team. That should be the case every night. Hopefully it continues.
I thought he was fairly solid last game too. Game losing gaff of course, but I'd rather the mistake be trying to do to much over looking like he was thinking about how to lower his handicap

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Well, went as expected. On the plus side, Raanta and OEL had a solid game. Domi tries hard but he's starting to hold his stick too tight. You can feel the frustration.

I'm not a big fan of Stepan.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
If you want to play fast, you have to think fast. Unfortunately, we don't have many on the roster that are capable of the latter. Ironically, probably our highest hockey IQ player is in Tucson.. but he's there because he can't play fast. #JustCoyotesThings

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not sure what we need most. Seems like our goaltending situation is now tolerable. We need an upgrade on D, our transition game is no good and OEL seems like the only one capable of making a good outlet pass. But even when the pass is good, most of our offense can't handle it and the play immediately breaks down. 90% of our players' decisions with the puck are just plain dumb. Stepan keeps making no-look plays that don't connect. Every odd man rush outside of Domi / Keller gets broken 3 feet after crossing the blue line. And don't get me started on penalties.

How do you fix stupid?

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
Step looks pretty tired.. What if we give him a game off and let Strome have his icetime and linemates?

Just want to see what would happen; he couldn’t possibly be any slower. A game wouldn’t hurt!

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Stepan is awful. I was a big believer bringing him in. What a waste.

I expect to lose every night, so no big deal there. It’s when we win that I’m caught off guard.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Stepan has been a total ****ing dud so far.
Yeah I hate him. It's one thing to just not produce, and another to not give a shit. If Mr.5% effort is one of our main leaders no wonder we suck so much. If he gets the C I'll f***ing vomit.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah I hate him. It's one thing to just not produce, and another to not give a ****. If Mr.5% effort is one of our main leaders no wonder we suck so much. If he gets the C I'll ****ing vomit.

It makes all those articles as camp wound down about how Stepan was taking the lead for the captaincy seem really weird in retrospect. Maybe it was a media play to tell OEL to get crap going. Or maybe it was just agitprop I dunno :laugh:

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
It makes all those articles as camp wound down about how Stepan was taking the lead for the captaincy seem really weird in retrospect.

Not only that, but Stepan f***ing dominated pre-season. Keller and Domi were feeding him goals all god damn day, and as soon as the regular season started he just vanished into thin air. I'm incredibly disappointed.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It makes all those articles as camp wound down about how Stepan was taking the lead for the captaincy seem really weird in retrospect. Maybe it was a media play to tell OEL to get crap going. Or maybe it was just agitprop I dunno :laugh:
Maybe they aren't weird because he has taken the lead The team sure is playing like they're following his example:sarcasm:.

Also I had to google agitprop, fun word.

Not only that, but Stepan ****ing dominated pre-season. Keller and Domi were feeding him goals all god damn day, and as soon as the regular season started he just vanished into thin air. I'm incredibly disappointed.
The coyotes trade for a 1st line center only to have it end in crushing disappointment and epic failure. What an unusual occurrence :sarcasm:

Reactions: Muppet and SniperHF

cobra427

May 6, 2012
IDK boys, Stephan had an incredible defensive game tonight and it's been strong thus far as in general.
Yep, Stepan has been solid on D, was so tonight too. Our goal tending and D was pretty good again tonight and not too many turnovers. We were down by a goal for a while. We didn't get blown out and Pitt is a far superior team. Still a work in progress but the team looked better than 4-5 games ago. We have to limit the penalties though.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
IDK boys, Stephan had an incredible defensive game tonight and it's been strong thus far as in general.

Problem is we need him to be better given what we gave up. He's not bringing it consistently enough offensively to have the impact worthy of giving up #7 at this point. I was and remain in favor of the deal at the time but the final determination on whether it worked or not will come down to how much his line can be consistent offensively. If Keller isn't having a great game we haven't seen Stepan raise his game and provide much without him. Conversely in a few games when Keller was on line 2 he still looked pretty good so I don't think he's stealthy enabling Keller either.

In lieu of 75% Hanzal who misses 22 games a season and has 1 point in 12 this year? Yeah we're ahead. But I'm not seeing how Stepan is helping this team's development environment as of yet and that's a big part of the reason I was in favor.

Reactions: Muppet

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Maybe they aren't weird because he has taken the lead The team sure is playing like they're following his example:sarcasm:.

Also I had to google agitprop, fun word.

The coyotes trade for a 1st line center only to have it end in crushing disappointment and epic failure. What an unusual occurrence :sarcasm:
Who ever considered Stepan a "first line center?"
I couldn't believe the accolades when the Yotes took this overpaid third line center off the Rangers hands.
He's a decent player but that's it.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Who ever considered Stepan a "first line center?"
I couldn't believe the accolades when the Yotes took this overpaid third line center off the Rangers hands.
He's a decent player but that's it.
Chayka did. Iirc his quote was something like we got our number 1 center and goalie in one trade.

I've always considered him more of a high end 2c, borderline 1c guy, but he hasn't even been that here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00