GDT: Game 16: Czech Republic Vs United States | 1PM EST 7PM CET | USA 4 - 3 CZE OT

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
I agree, however, he has not had nearly as much PP time, and no first wave PP time. Zegers has been the exception to this though and has been playing amazing. Put Caufield in first wave PP for all the games and he could just as easily be at 5 goals. I do agree he does need to pick it up as if he is not scoring he has not been very effective this tourney.

Caufield was first wave PP on the last two PPs by team USA against the Czech. He was also first wave PP on about half PPs against Russia.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I missed the 3rd period and obviously a lot of drama. Glad to see Czechs get that point.

You’ve got to believe Russia is going to take a must win game against Germany.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
History would suggest 6-1 was a good call. So would the rosters. Toss in our backup and our Top 2 Centres out of the game and 10-1 was likely. I've never been so happy with an OTL ... just wish it had guaranteed us the Quarters. the 2 points wouldn't have guaranteed one either to my knowledge.
2 points would have - we'd have been at five points. In that situation:
Russia wins in regulation (6 points) - we're fourth, Germany out.
Russia wins in OT (5 points, Germany 4) - we're third, Germany out.
Germany wins in regulation (6 points) - we're fourth, Russia out.
Germany wins in OT (5 points, Russia 4) - we're fourth, Russia out.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It is if the puck was going in either way. I’m fine with the call, but that’s what it was.

It's still goaltender interference, because you're not allowing the goaltender the opportunity to make the save. That doesn't make it a technicality. It's clear-cut goalie interference.

We've seen enough improbable saves to know that an opportunity to make the save is sometimes all a goalie needs. If it still goes in, it still goes in, but the goaltender is supposed to have the opportunity to try.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2 points would have - we'd have been at five points. In that situation:
Russia wins in regulation (6 points) - we're fourth, Germany out.
Russia wins in OT (5 points, Germany 4) - we're third, Germany out.
Germany wins in regulation (6 points) - we're fourth, Russia out.
Germany wins in OT (5 points, Russia 4) - we're fourth, Russia out.
Dekuju!

Still not mad we lost in OT... once you eliminate Jenik and Lauko... US had the 10 best forwards on their bench... 3 on 3 suited them. The final goal was gorgeous too. Honestly, while not noble, we should've stalled as we had better chances in shootout... but, again, US is one first rounder sniper after another.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
It's still goaltender interference, because you're not allowing the goaltender the opportunity to make the save. That doesn't make it a technicality. It's clear-cut goalie interference.

We've seen enough improbable saves to know that an opportunity to make the save is sometimes all a goalie needs. If it still goes in, it still goes in, but the goaltender is supposed to have the opportunity to try.
100% goalie interference and I take your point. To me it looked like Knight just didn’t see that one through a higher screen, and I doubt he even reacts to make a save either way.
Fwiw I don’t think either team got screwed over by the refs. I just think complaining about the stick play is cheap given the circumstances

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
100% goalie interference and I take your point. To me it looked like Knight just didn’t see that one through a higher screen, and I doubt he even reacts to make a save either way.
Fwiw I don’t think either team got screwed over by the refs. I just think complaining about the stick play is cheap given the circumstances

Yeah, that's fair. I just view the stick play as a missed call in real-time. It happens. Hell, it happens a lot. I also don't think the US players did themselves any favors by not trying to immediately get a stick to the defenseman.

The US team didn't put in a particularly good performance. Win or lose, I think there are a lot more things to focus on than this one incident.

Reactions: Lemmiwinks

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Let's not count Russia out, btw. USA had a lot of puck luck to beat them. They had, by far, the single most dominant game of the tourney.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them in the medal round.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
the single most dominant game of the tourney.
Are you referring to this game? Have you seen some of the other pool scores? Eg. Finland/Kazkhstan was 8-1? Or, in our pool, Russia 6 and Canada 0.

As far as semis.. to my knowledge this win makes US avoid Finland/Sweden in quarters... so definitely a heavy favourite for Semi's.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Not really, you're just mad that I liked your prediction posts where you wrote about routinely destroying the Czechs.

For the record, I also thought the US would win in a blowout.

I don't think I'll ever be the same, you've cut to the core of me, my friend.

I'm going to have to spend some time in seclusion to ponder your thoughtful discourse on my character.
These WJC GDTs can be a lot of spirited fun, or an embarrassing shit-show, depending on who shows up.

This one was excellent, for the most part.

Edit: I confess to a few ass-clown posts in these threads in the past. They were USA-Canada games though. Do I get a pass?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
These WJC GDTs can be a lot of spirited fun, or an embarrassing ****-show, depending on who shows up.

This one was excellent, for the most part.

It was an exciting game with a lot of drama, a lot easier for neutrals to watch I imagine.

Americans were the better team for long stretches as I pointed out repeatedly, but the Czechs hung in there and made their lives immensely difficult.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Are you referring to this game? Have you seen some of the other pool scores? Eg. Finland/Kazkhstan was 8-1? Or, in our pool, Russia 6 and Canada 0.

As far as semis.. to my knowledge this win makes US avoid Finland/Sweden in quarters... so definitely a heavy favourite for Semi's.
I meant the Russian dominance of Canada, and that it wouldn't surprise me if Russia makes the medal round.

Yes, USA has clinched 2nd place, probably avoiding the Nordics in the quarter-final.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It is if the puck was going in either way. I’m fine with the call, but that’s what it was.
That's not how it works. The standard is whether a play impedes a goalie's ability to make a save. It has nothing to do with subjective impression's on a goalie's positioning and awareness. It's just as easy to conjecture that if he hadn't gotten hit in the head he could've reacted in time to make the save as it is to say he couldn't have.

Objective standards and technicalities are not the same thing. The goalie not only had his face completely covered by the contact but had his head moved from where it would have been had it not been for the contact. That's goaltender interference which is a rule. Not a technicality.

Last edited:

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Game winner brought to you by UW, amirite?
LOL! Tony Granato is proud. Speaking of Granato, interesting that Tony's sister Cammie is married to Ray Ferrero (Canadian color commentary guy for TSN). When US plays Canada, what's the vibe in their family? I presume the husband/wife support their native country, but what about the kids? Which country do they root for?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think the Czech's are going to lose the relegation series because Kazakstan is terrible, but in another year where the worst team in the other group was a little better, losing your two best forwards is a good way to get relegated against an inferior team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think the Czech's are going to lose the relegation series because Kazakstan is terrible, but in another year where the worst team in the other group was a little better, losing your two best forwards is a good way to get relegated against an inferior team.
Doesn't germany need to get at least a point vs Russia still?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad