GDT: Game 14: Bruins @ Avs | Sunday, Nov. 13, 5pm MT | The Bear Went Over The Mountain

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Maybe Roy was right after all. I thought new coach could get more out of this group, but now I see it. This is just poorly build team and Roy knew this was never going to end well.

Outshot 45-20 in this game and our coach says that he likes analytics. I'm really wondering now if the players are actually upset that Roy left. It's entirely possible that the core players were siding with Roy and not with Sakic/management.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Outshot 45-20 in this game and our coach says that he likes analytics. I'm really wondering now if the players are actually upset that Roy left. It's entirely possible that the core players were siding with Roy and not with Sakic/management.

The core players and their attitudes are not the problem. Almost every other player is.

Whatever we're trying to do offensively also is part of the problem because it's obviously not working at all. (Edit: This includes the core and especially MacKinnon and Barrie. It's also not what Bednar wants them to do.) And please get rid of Tyutin and Gelinas asap, Avs. They make me want to cry almost every time they're on the ice.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If they could get something for those guys (Tyutin, Gelinas) , please do.

It's hard to say it's the core when they haven't gotten a goal from anyone other than Rene and colborne night one. It just goes in cycles. The rest is crap so all the pressure and defensive focus goes on the top guys. Maybe they aren't good enough to carry it themselves but they get no help either.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

Several millions of dollars earning pro athletes are not that vain

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Are we really making excuses for Nathan "2 goals in 14 games" MacKinnon?

All the pressure goes on the top players anyways, at least for the most part. The other team can only play 5 skaters at a time, it's not like they can play 3 lines at a time against MacK and then just not play when our 4th line is out there

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't call it an excuse, it's an explanation of what's happening. I don't believe guys can just will themselves to get goals. Mack needs to expand his bag of tricks no doubt but there's more going on there.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I wouldn't call it an excuse, it's an explanation of what's happening. I don't believe guys can just will themselves to get goals. Mack needs to expand his bag of tricks no doubt but there's more going on there.

I see players around the league do it nightly

But I agree, I don't believe OUR guys can just will themselves to get goals

:cry:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well we traded a 3rd for him last year. You want to give up on him already?

THere's nothing to give up on...he's not an NHLer and never was. Bad trade from the start.

So, the sided with the guy that wanted to break them up and are sticking it to the guy that believes in them? Yeah, that's not it. Core is fine it's everything else that's the problem.

The only thing I'll even remotely entertain regarding O'Reilly is the idea that trading Duchene would have been better.

One of them was leaving this team

Why? If you paid ROR what he asked, he would've stayed. It's not like they hated each other.

The ROR trade is one of the best things they've done in the past three years. The drafting has been better, it's the needlessly throwing away picks and letting assets walk has been more the culprit.

I wouldn't say they were just getting third liner play from Greer tonight. Maybe he is if they had a real top 6 but I think he showed enough to not peg him there just yet.

Let's not kid ourselves. The avs lost the best player in the deal. He along with Duchene would be our best player.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Blaming MacKinnon and Landeskog is just convenient. We actually know they will contribute in the long run and if there is any kind of supporting system they will contribute a lot. Now they're going head to head against the best every night because the coach can't trust anyone else. Holding their own against Bergeron & Co is fine but when you have to not only do that but also score a bunch of goals not to let down your team you are being put in an impossible situation.

Trade a core player and the other 12 complementary skaters will start going? Is that the basic idea?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
It's convenient because it's true and the results show it. We have other problems, no doubt, but it's honestly mind boggling to me the mental gymnastics some folks will go through to defend the top players and their massive potential

And I never said trade them lol. Do whatever you want to fix this, I'm pretty sure there's nothing to be done

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's convenient because it's true and the results show it. We have other problems, no doubt, but it's honestly mind boggling to me the mental gymnastics some folks will go through to defend the top players and their massive potential

And I never said trade them lol. Do whatever you want to fix this, I'm pretty sure there's nothing to be done

If you are going to call people out for "mind boggling mental gymnastics" then you can't say do whatever to fix this, I don't know.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Another poor and pathetic showing by this Avs team. I'm willing to give them to the end of the month to get it together before completely writing this season off... but this is just downright ugly hockey to watch.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

This is the problem - we've several guys in the past that could do this game in game out. We don't anymore.

No, the idea is to trade our loser core player for someone else's winner core player somehow.

Sounds like you have someone in mind

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Blaming MacKinnon and Landeskog is just convenient. We actually know they will contribute in the long run and if there is any kind of supporting system they will contribute a lot. Now they're going head to head against the best every night because the coach can't trust anyone else. Holding their own against Bergeron & Co is fine but when you have to not only do that but also score a bunch of goals not to let down your team you are being put in an impossible situation.

Trade a core player and the other 12 complementary skaters will start going? Is that the basic idea?

The supporting cast needs to be better, there is too much dead weight.

In saying that, a player like MacKinnon has to figure out how to play against the top players every night, since he's going to have to for the rest of his career. If he continuously gets shut down by other teams' top lines, whether it's their checking abilities or MacKinnon's inability to think the game well, it's going to cost us.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Another poor and pathetic showing by this Avs team. I'm willing to give them to the end of the month to get it together before completely writing this season off... but this is just downright ugly hockey to watch.

Yah I dont have much faith we are competing this season. The only reason im watching games now is for Zads and Rants. Guys like Tyson Barrie, Colbourne and Fedor Tyutin have nearly destroyed my enthusiasm to watch but Z and Rants keep me coming back.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The supporting cast needs to be better, there is too much dead weight.

In saying that, a player like MacKinnon has to figure out how to play against the top players every night, since he's going to have to for the rest of his career. If he continuously gets shut down by other teams' top lines, whether it's their checking abilities or MacKinnon's inability to think the game well, it's going to cost us.

Mackinnon needs an RNH and Nurse needs a Tyson Barrie. Something something call Pete.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
The fourth liners aren't stopping MacKinnon Landeskog Soderberg etc from producing.

Yes the team lacks depth. But that doesn't excuse lack of production from the core players.

If they replaced the bottom six with better players would MacKinnon be on a 70 point pace? Doubtful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad