GDT: Game 12: Rangers @ Columbus, 7 PM EST

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could be wrong, but a year in the AHL wouldn't be bad Yegor. He created minimal chances for his partners, one didn't score from his own, he plays poorly at the boards and he doesn't always play well without the puck. He has talent but like you write it`s too soon to play in NHL for him. Myabe it`s bad he didn`t stay in Avangard still one season. Because Bob Hartley wanted to work with him.

Chinakhov needs work in a few small areas but his board play has actually been impressive. I haven't noticed any issue without the puck - I frequently see him hard on the backcheck and picking up his man appropriately. It's more managing the puck that he has to work on.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
These are the things we’re disappointed or upset about? Have we forgotten what we all assumed about the team going into the season?

This, I get it losses sting, but the team has been overperforming all expectations and now they are even missing Laine & Domi, which is a big hit on the roster. Well, I guess we haven't seen that much of Domi, but the way he started the season he'd be a big help in the lineup.

Everyone knew the center depth was going to be what it is, though Sillinger has been awesome, but Roslovic has not, so they kind of balance each other out :) Now they are even lacking on the wing because of the injuries.

Reactions: Jan

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A player known for appearing passionless looks “tired” at the end of a back-to-back and he’s not cut out for his role?

If this was in reference to my comment on Werenski, I'm saying he looks different than he did before. His execution has suffered. I'd say he looks tired, not calm.

"Not cut out for his role" is your words, I'd say he is better off playing 22-24 minutes, not 25-27 minutes. Really that's true for a lot of D-men. The ones that play 25-27 minutes are often playing sloppy hockey (applies to all three who averaged 26 minutes last year, Chabot, Doughty, and Burns).

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Chinakhov needs work in a few small areas but his board play has actually been impressive. I haven't noticed any issue without the puck - I frequently see him hard on the backcheck and picking up his man appropriately. It's more managing the puck that he has to work on.
I think he sometimes had trouble playing without the puck, look at his play on defense. Besides, like you have written, he's not so good at playing around the boards now. As far as effort and forechecking, there's nothing to fault him for. Of course he`s better than Stenlund or Hofmann but what`s happen if Laine and Domi`ll return? Besides Bemstrom has very good chemistry with Jack maybe he could help him. Although we could move Yegor there too.
As for playing in small areas, that's not quite true. Look:

North American areas: CKA, Dynamo Moscow, Barys, Amur, Sochi - 14 games (Amur and Barys 4 games not 2)
Finnish areas: CSKA Moscow, Jokerit, Spartak Moscow, Avtomobilist, AVANGARD, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Dynamo Minsk, Sibir, Ak Bars, Neftekhimik, Vityaz, Severstal, Lokomotiv, Salavat Yulaev, Traktor, Kunlun
International areas: Torpedo, Dynamo Riga

Besides Bob Hartley prefers North American hockey. So he had some experiences before his arriving to Columbus.

Of course, Yegor is very talented and will be an asset in the future. But a year in Cleveland wouldn't hurt him now. To get used to being a leader.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think he sometimes had trouble playing without the puck, look at his play on defense. Besides, like you have written, he's not so good at playing around the boards now. As far as effort and forechecking, there's nothing to fault him for. Of course he`s better than Stenlund or Hofmann but what`s happen if Laine and Domi`ll return? Besides Bemstrom has very good chemistry with Jack maybe he could help him. Although we could move Yegor there too.
As for playing in small areas, that's not quite true. Look:

North American areas: CKA, Dynamo Moscow, Barys, Amur, Sochi - 14 games (Amur and Barys 4 games not 2)
Finnish areas: CSKA Moscow, Jokerit, Spartak Moscow, Avtomobilist, AVANGARD, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Dynamo Minsk, Sibir, Ak Bars, Neftekhimik, Vityaz, Severstal, Lokomotiv, Salavat Yulaev, Traktor, Kunlun
International areas: Torpedo, Dynamo Riga

Besides Bob Hartley prefers North American hockey. So he had experiences before his arriving to Columbus.

By "Small areas" I meant "little things" not small ice. Though I agree with you, the whole NA vs Euro Ice thing is a bit of a myth, especially with the KHL now shifted to smaller rinks.

And I was saying I liked his board play.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
The 1 minute meltdown in the 2nd period was a huge deflater, but there wasn’t much push-back after that and from that point on this is why we lost

Zone Exits
  • Watch how they clogged he neutral zone and most the time sent in a single forecheck that was designed to push the 1st pass to the neutral zone. The Defense showed how green they were last night by pushing that pass to the neutral zone to only get it intercepted or stolen.
  • Next when they tried a normal breakout they pressured the puck to one side and forced the defense to make a quick decision and they didn’t usually make the right outlet and the play ended up staying in our zone wayyy too long.
Shooting
  • Too many shots wide and high to allow any rebounds or puck retrievals in the slot or offensive zone
Bite/Physicality
  • No physical presence - hits
Skating
  • Tired or something because they quit skating - not entire lines but some forwards & some defensemen
Just my opinion - thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan and VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
By "Small areas" I meant "little things" not small ice. Though I agree with you, the whole NA vs Euro Ice thing is a bit of a myth, especially with the KHL now shifted to smaller rinks.

And I was saying I liked his board play.
Bob Hartley works with the players on the "little things". How to hold the stick right in different situations, how to stand right, etc, etc.
I know that Yegor still has a lot to learn and will be progress because he works hard, but he has to learn to be a leader too. And nobody learns that in the 3rd line with little ice time. That's why I'm in favor of him playing this season in Cleveland.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The 1 minute meltdown in the 2nd period was a huge deflater, but there wasn’t much push-back after that and from that point on this is why we lost

Zone Exits
  • Watch how they clogged he neutral zone and most the time sent in a single forecheck that was designed to push the 1st pass to the neutral zone. The Defense showed how green they were last night by push that pass to the neutral zone to only get it intercepted or stolen.
  • Next when they tried a normal breakout they pressured the puck to one side and forced the defense to make a quick decision and they didn’t usually make the right outlet and the play ended up staying in our zone wayyy too long.
Shooting
  • Too many shots wide and high to allow any rebounds or puck retrievals in the slot or offensive zone
Bite/Physicality
  • No physical presence - hits
Skating
  • Tired or something because they quit skating - not entire lines but some forwards & some defensemen
Just my opinion - thoughts?

They were pretty dead from the three goals against onward, but then perked back up after the Texier goal. I could see it being a combination of being tired after skating their butts off in the 1st period (the Jackets dominated and were unlucky not to get a lead out of it), and just lacking confidence and feeling nervous after the goals against.

More broadly I want the team to keep skating and playing aggressively and not worry too much about goals against. They might burn teams or get burned playing aggressively, it can go either way, but they've got no chance if they aren't pushing. This isn't the Islanders.

Reactions: Jan, LJ7201 and VT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't think I would say it, but I'm missing the big shot presence of Laine.

I'm mostly missing the psychological effect he has on other teams. Laine hasn't been shooting much for us, but they don't know that yet and that opens up space for other Jackets.

Reactions: koteka

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm mostly missing the psychological effect he has on other teams. Laine hasn't been shooting much for us, but they don't know that yet and that opens up space for other Jackets.
Do you think coaches of opponents aren`t video or don`t watch our games? They know it. But they know too if their player get more space to Patrik it could be a very big problem for them. Besides don`t forget Laine now isn`t Laine in the past. Like @Jan has written, it`s his the best season (to injury minimum) because he played like a power forward with very good defense (one of the best), play without the puck, created chances for partners.
But I think Domi is underrated too. He can feed partners quickness, he knows how to time a pass, one`s fast. It`s very important in transition. You can't make up for this by just skating.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you think coaches of opponents aren`t video or don`t watch our games? They know it. But they know too if their player get more space to Patrik it could be a very big problem for them. Besides don`t forget Laine now isn`t Laine in the past. Like @Jan has written, it`s his the best season (to injury minimum) because he played like a power forward with very good defense (one of the best), play without the puck, created chances for partners.

The coaches watch the games but if you're a penalty killer out against Patrik Laine it is still going to get in your head.

I agree it is Patrik's best season, so far, but knock it off with this power forward business. I guess everyone has a different idea of what a power forward is but to me Patrik Laine and power forward are two very different things.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The coaches watch the games but if you're a penalty killer out against Patrik Laine it is still going to get in your head.

I agree it is Patrik's best season, so far, but knock it off with this power forward business. I guess everyone has a different idea of what a power forward is but to me Patrik Laine and power forward are two very different things.
He is starting to use his body more, winning battles around the boards and so on. To avoid having to write it all , I use the word power forward. So it's laziness on my part... . ;)
It's not just about psychology, it's about the qualities of the player. They know what can happen if they're not careful. Or do you think he wouldn't improve in shooting as well? But after the injury... I don't know. We'll see.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I agree Jack needs new wingers. But maybe he could be HS 2-3 games. Boqvist could be although he didn`t deserve it.
Does Jack need new wingers or does his wingers need a new center? :sarcasm:
(Of course I assuming Stenlund will/should be a HS)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Isnt that the exact same thing? The threat of his shot either forces the D to cheat to him effectively creating a 4 on 3 on the rest of the ice or dont respect the shot and run the risk of having one of the best one timers in the game launching freebies on your goalie

Reactions: thebus88 and VT

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
That’s exactly what I meant by presence. The thought of it — not that he’s used it at the level we need this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad