Post-Game Talk: GAME 1 - Swampkittens 6 BRUINS 4

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Completely disappointed this morning. If you're going to lose fine just rack up a hundred PIM making them pay a price for it. When Tkachuk wouldn't drop his gloves Frederick should have unloaded on him anyways. Make him defend himself instead of getting made a fool of.

That's all I have to say on this game. Burn the tape, get mad and take it out on Montreal...and then be prepared for Florida again next week.
I mean Tkachuk fought Pasta and Bennett knocked Marchand out last year then assaulted Korpisalo. What more do these guys need to pull a Wi-Fi on Pare we saw this preseason? You had quite a few guys making their debut and could have endeared themselves in a 6-2 hockey game. It’s just amazing that all these physical guys seem to put their nuts in a jar on the kitchen shelf like a dude married for twenty years when they play for Boston….. And thirty for me and yes I look at my nuts every time I reach for the Xtra toasty cheez-it’s

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Im not buying its Monty for lack of physical response.

To me when Korpi was run it should be instinctively responded to. No matter what. You just go. Emotion alone should have kicked in and someone snap.
Disagree; Monty seems to instill a reluctance to initiate in the players.
Hathaway, Orlov, Maroon, and a bunch of other players who have won
using certain, shall we say "questionable" tactics come here and become
confused as to what to do when, in natural instances they would usually respond
or initiate to take control of the situation.
Now we have this group (and it's "only" one game) but Jones et al
are basically following a pattern that leads back to, and spotlights the coaching.
Montgomery IMO is the common denominator.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Boston has got to have someone do what Kassian did to Tkachuk. He gave him a good smack down in their fight and also rag dolled him on another occasion.

Step up some of you so called tough guys and get the job done.

Babajingo

Would like to see Thursday be a statement game. If they come out soft I think we’re going to start having a lot of doubts.
Will probably be a good game. After all, its against the team that had the 4th worse record last year. EDIT: and MTL will be playing the second game in a back-to-back.

I'm really interested in seeing the Leafs. If Berube can work with the stars, I feel they will be another FLA.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
are basically following a pattern that leads back to, and spotlights the coaching.
They take the high road and want the PP. analytics? It isn’t working. I know a couple of guys in Providence that would be perfect for the next tilt.
Oh wait…..

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
They were like this under Cassidy too

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I mean Tkachuk fought Pasta and Bennett knocked Marchand out last year then assaulted Korpisalo. What more do these guys need to pull a Wi-Fi on Pare we saw this preseason? You had quite a few guys making their debut and could have endeared themselves in a 6-2 hockey game. It’s just amazing that all these physical guys seem to put their nuts in a jar on the kitchen shelf like a dude married for twenty years when they play for Boston….. And thirty for me and yes I look at my nuts every time I reach for the Xtra toasty cheez-it’s
Common Denominator?

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Once again it mystifies me with all the crap that Florida pulls the opposition gets the most penalties.
Geekie is totally cross-checked in front of the net on the scoring chance....zero call .
The Panthers are the Kansas City Chiefs of the NHL.
Retaliation. League doesn’t like that in case it “escalates” (like how dancing sometimes leads to marriage). All the more reason to instigate instead of retaliate. But, nah.

It is quite distasteful the NHL and the media rallies around the cowardly Tkachuk when there is a better and more likable one in Ottawa, let alone Barkov on the same team....
Bennett you mean not Barkov.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
They were like this under Cassidy too
I'm gonna get flamed for this but WTF!
So then the orders come down from the front office. If that's the case they can find what retirement home Don Cherry is in and neuter him and stick him behind the bench. It seems that they (may be) telling their head coaches to "coach" this way, if so we'd better get ready for MOT (More Of The Same).
It's okay though in a dollars and cents aspect.
Monty did lead the Bruins to two very good seasons, I'll give him that.
Jacobs made as much dough as they possibly could, that's nice.
And, as usual, they spent TO THE CAP from day one of the Cap.
But, if we're to sniff another Stanley Cup, this isn't the recipe to do it.
I LOVED that Sweeney went out and got some true grit and speed.
LOVED IT.
But, seemingly putting limits in the players minds to hold back from initiating
and/or playing with all out passion must be very confusing for professionals who didn't seem to do that with their former teams.
There's a natural inclination that's been missing. In the past they had more skill
but lacked enforcers. Now, we have enforcers who aren't enforcing (okay it is ONE game FFS Gordoff don't lose your f***ing mind) and they initiate at the wrong time.
Yes, it was basically the same way under Cassidy but when Cassidy left he
umm won the Stanley Cup in his first year away from here, and the Bruins Front Office.
What are they telling these coaches?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Retaliation. League doesn’t like that in case it “escalates” (like how dancing sometimes leads to marriage). All the more reason to instigate instead of retaliate. But, nah.

Bennett you mean not Barkov.
Barkov in that the NHL and media have a legitimate beloved player to hype and advertise instead of Tkachuk the coward. Yet it seems it is Tkachuk's face all over the media articles with the ridiculous mouth guard act instead.

Would like to see Thursday be a statement game. If they come out soft I think we’re going to start having a lot of doubts.

If this team gets bullied by Montreal, win or lose, after the soft soft effort Tuesday it will be insulting but perhaps not very surprising.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Barkov in that the NHL and media have a legitimate beloved player to hype and advertise instead of Tkachuk the coward. Yet it seems it is Tkachuk's face all over the media articles with the ridiculous mouth guard act instead.

If this team gets bullied by Montreal, win or lose, after the soft soft effort Tuesday it will be insulting but perhaps not very surprising.
Ahh, gotcha. Agreed.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
They don't initiate because they play for the powerplay. It's the same story since Cassidy was the coach. They have problems with other teams' conduct but ask them politely to a joust instead of doing anything about it. Bennett and Tkachuk should have been hit everytime they touched the ice. What's the point of icing a big team if the only benefit is the team using their bigger frames to control possession? What ever happened to physicality, boxing players out, protecting the net, etc.?

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
They don't initiate because they play for the powerplay. It's the same story since Cassidy was the coach. They have problems with other teams' conduct but ask them politely to a joust instead of doing anything about it. Bennett and Tkachuk should have been hit everytime they touched the ice. What's the point of icing a big team if the only benefit is the team using their bigger frames to control possession? What ever happened to physicality, boxing players out, protecting the net, etc.?
After watching the playoffs and last night I think the panthers are just that much stronger physically. I saw a few times last night guys like Coyle/Carlo being easily out muscled by guys like MK and Reinhart. That damn ballsack named kid was pushing zads in the crease at one point. They need to hit the weights.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Players can absolutely get more aggressive and play smarter. They can work on skills too.

I’m not guaranteeing anything, but let’s not say the roster is doomed after one game against the reigning Champions. Florida is a great team. I’m glad most around here seem to be coming around to this reality after they won a championship. I was getting a little tired of years of hearing how the Bruins were “clearly better” if only they put in an effort.

Regardless of style, the roster on paper does have some changes and it may take some time to really figure out what kind of identity this team has in light of those shifts.
Boston has had a tremendous amount of skill, speed and grit depart up front in last two seasons. Bergeron, Krejci, DeBrusk, Hall, Heinen & Foligno. They have added Lindholm & Zacha to replace those players. Add in an out of shape Marchand and better chance than not goals will be hard to come by this year.

Reactions: BMC

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
Everyone clamoring for blood is looking past the bigger issue. What the team should be more concerned about is the fact that the lopsided shooting totals continue into this season (at least for game 1). Last year you have two stud goaltenders to help bail you out. This year, you're going to have Swayman having to keep his form and play 60+ games. Otherwise, you're going to have to sweat it out with Korpisalo's questionable rebound control for a good chunk of the season. I'm not sure if it's a skill or speed issue, but this team gets hemmed in their zone and seems to really generate their top scoring chances on the counter attack. Going to be tough playing that way if Swayman falters or gets injured.

Also, it's tough to dummy people when you give up 4 goals in the first. A couple of runs at some guys would be good, but a bloodbath in game 1 with a bunch of new guys doesn't seem like a reasonable game plan.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Has anyone seen the goal simulations on NHL.com? Its actually kind of interesting to see. This is a screengrab, but each goal shows how everyone was moving on the ice

1728496904369.png

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
Taking a deep breath here. Reminding myself it's game 1 of the season and not of a playoff round, thank goodness. The upcoming Habs, Kings games will be telling, but Monday when the Cats come to the Bruins house it damn well better be a different team that hits the ice.

Some sort of steady lines need to be established, this plug and play crap has proven to be a failure. I hope they play Sway for the home opener and sit him for the Kings, he needs to show something Monday. The big names need to be heard from the announcers, I'm tired of wondering in the 2nd if certain players even dressed for the game. That happens too often.
The Bruins need to be instigators, finish every hit, skate like their lives depend on it and take some shots.

Show some damn pride and send the Panthers out of town wondering about their ability to play their game against this Bruins team going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad