Post-Game Talk: GAME 1 - Swampkittens 6 BRUINS 4

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The Pasta hate is absolutely ridiculous. He was not the problem last night.
You have lived here basically your entire life you should just yawn at this stuff by now

Boston fans/followers love to hate their players especially their stars

You would not have believed the hate Yastrzemski got

Don’t ever try and figure out why another person thinks a certain way lol

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

A potentially deadly hurricane about to hammer into the west coast of Florida, the Bruins opened their season Tuesday night in Sunrise, just inland from the Fort Lauderdale shore, and suffered a storming at the hands of the defending Stanley Cup champion Panthers.

Final score: Panthers 6, Bruins 4.

As bad as that score may look, it was all of that, and could have been considerably worse given Florida’s lopsided advantage in possession and puck control. The Panthers moved out early to a 2-0 lead, piled up 14 shots on net before the Bruins could land their second, and looked every bit the stout, burly group that ushered the Bruins out of the playoffs each of the last two seasons. With the Florida lead up to 6-2 late in the third, goals by Trent Frederic and David Pastrnak finally fed some oxygen into the Boston offense, but it ended there.

Newcomers Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov, the big free agent signings in the offseason, were of marginal impact, though Zadorov did land a team-high six hits.

The heavy, uptempo redesign, made in large part to go head to head with Florida, did not generate the desired flash and dash.

The Bruins too often were slow, late arriving to pucks, and Joonas Korpisalo didn’t provide the kind of No. 1 netminding the Bruins became accustomed to the last three seasons with partners Linus Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman.

▪ Just an ugly first period for the Bruins. They showed little or no sign of a hoped-for improved forecheck, which was a point of emphasis in July when general manager Don Sweeney brought in some big forwards to lead the charge. No charge in the first. Barely a whimper.

▪ The Bruins were down by a pair, 2-0, at 7:31 and also dramatically underwater on shots, 11-1. One of the few good moments was the Pavel Zacha shorthander, with help from Elias Lindholm, that briefly cut the Panthers’ lead to 2-1. It’s the closest the Bruins would be to pulling even for the rest of the night.

▪ Korpisalo, picked up in the swap that sent Ullmark to Ottawa, gave up the third Florida goal only 3:01 after Zacha’s strike, Sam Reinhart responding with a shorty for the Panthers. It was a clever shot from the left circle — Reinhart routinely makes clever bids — but Korpisalo could have and should have made the stop. File under: giant buzzkill.

▪ In Jim Montgomery’s first two seasons behind the bench, the Bruins became accustomed to red-hot starts, helping him to compile a dazzling 112-32-20 (.744) regular-season mark.

In 2022-23, the Bruins opened 10-1-0, improved to 20-3-0, and stood 32-5-4 at the midway point.

Last season, the Bruins again opened hot, losing only once in regulation (14-1-3) prior to the Thanksgiving break. By the 20-minute mark in Sunrise, they already had matched that one regulation defeat.

▪ Tough night for sophomore Mason Lohrei, who rode most of the time with veteran Brandon Carlo on the Bruins’ No. 3 defense pairing. When the Panthers boosted the lead to 5-1 midway through the second, Lohrei had an ugly minus-3 next to his name. Until he builds more solid defense into his game, Lohrei might be spotted against clubs not as heavy on the puck as the Panthers.

▪ Montgomery easily could have justified yanking Korpisalo with the deficit at 4-1. But Swayman, the backup, only signed his contract on Sunday and practiced with the full squad for the first time on Monday. Had Korpisalo been injured — beyond a bruised ego — Montgomery would have had no choice but to turn to Swayman.

During his protracted contract talks, which culminated in a $66 million/eight-year deal, Swayman stayed in shape with extensive workouts at Boston University. “Honorary Terrier,” a smiling Swayman, the ex-Maine Black Bear, kidded on Sunday. He’ll undoubtedly make his first start of the season on Thursday when the Canadiens come to Causeway Street.

Swayman, like Ullmark, told Sweeney that he wants to play in 55 games or more — the workload of a true No. 1. If Korpisalo isn’t sharper than he was in Sunrise, Swayman’s workload could approach 65.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Major issues with their game last night. Their breakout looked like everyone was operating on an island, there were no outlets for the D making it easy for the Cats to generate turnovers in the neutral zone. Players looked slow and lost defensively. They’ll figure it out but so far I haven’t liked how they have played at all this season (obviously including preseason). It’s almost like Montgomery hasn’t adjusted to a bigger but slower roster.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The Panthers came out attacking and putting pressure on the Bruins defense but they were doing this with probably the best top 9 in hockey

The Bruins were reactionists ~ they weren’t skating and slow decision-making
We are spending top dollar on our d corps, they should be able to counteract Florida's top 9.

That said D and goaltending usually start out slow around the league as teams are a bit rusty still. I'm sure they'll come around in some time, but I stand by that Monty (or these players) have a tough time being prepared for the start of the game, it's a concerning pattern IMO

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Game really got out of hand when McAvoy looked like 2 million dollar defenman on the panthers short handed goal. I’m sure he will be allot better.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
How many new Bruins last night, 6?

Give it time
The Carlo/Lohrei pairing was familiar and looked awful

The worst line of the night was Jones-Freddy-Brazeau--- Caved in.

We are spending top dollar on our d corps, they should be able to counteract Florida's top 9.

That said D and goaltending usually start out slow around the league as teams are a bit rusty still. I'm sure they'll come around in some time, but I stand by that Monty (or these players) have a tough time being prepared for the start of the game, it's a concerning pattern IMO
Florida spends a little over 19mil on their D core and the Bruins sit at about 30. They need to and prob will be much better as the season goes on

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Game really got out of hand when McAvoy looked like 2 million dollar defenman on the panthers short handed goal. I’m sure he will be allot better.
Maybe McAvoy is still in playoffs mode ,could be said of entire team ,an aggressive forcheck turns them into the Key Stone Cops ,and what exactly does Bennet have to do to get a real response from this team.And why do the Bruins keep wasting their time trying to get Tkachuk to fight,he’s the NHL poster turtle boy and highly protected by the refs.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Terrible performance by pretty much whole team but lets give it sometime before we write them off. One game is not a season makes. If we sre 10-15games in and we still have issues then stsrt to panic

Agreed.

B's were undefeated vs. Florida last regular season, I believe, and what was the end result?

It's a long season and nothing that happens in October ultimately matters in June. There's going to be games where they look like cup champions and games like last night.

If anyone didn't expect the Panthers to come out flying after raising the banner, I don't know what to say.

The B's looked like a team that needs some time to get familiar with each other.

They'll be okay -- all that matters is how you're playing in April, May and June.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Pretty much says it all.

“f*** plays. Pound their f***ing D”.

I mean it’s not rocket science. But for these guys maybe it is. But it’s also precisely what Sweeney tried to address. So execute.

SUNRISE, Fla. — The Panthers ran their Stanley Cup banner to the Amerant Bank Arena rafters Tuesday night and then promptly ran the Bruins right out of the rink.

Boston looked a day late and a dollar short for long stretches of its 6-4 opening-night loss to Florida in a game that wasn’t close to being that close.

The Bruins scored a pair of late goals to cloud the competitiveness of this one.
Unable to consistently generate chances early, the Bruins fell behind early and then got lost in a fog of Florida’s ferocious

“Their execution was really good. Our execution was really poor,” said Bruins coach Jim Montgomery. “I can’t pinpoint why we looked slow, but we looked slow the entire game, not just the first 10 minutes, in my opinion.”

Making his first start with the Bruins, Joonas Korpisalo (29 saves) was peppered with shots early and then physically pummeled later when Sam Bennett ran him over after Florida’s final goal.

• “Korpisalo was not a problem tonight. It was the people in front of him. You can’t give up four backdoor tap-ins and expect your goalie to make save after save,” said Montgomery. “He made a lot of saves on breakaways. He was good tonight. The players in front of him, the rest of the team, and the coaching staff. We weren’t good enough.”
Korpisalo was under siege almost immediately and he held up well for the first five minutes, making a big right pad save on Carter Verhaeghe after a sloppy giveaway at center ice while the Bruins were changing. He denied Verhaeghe on the doorstep moments later.

The Bruins, meanwhile, didn’t land a shot on Sergei Bobrovsky until five minutes had elapsed.

The first fisticuffs of the season came when Mark Kastelic dropped ‘em with ex-Bruin A.J. Greer, who had taken exception to Kastelic’s hit on another ex-Bruin, Jesper Boqvist.

Greer rapped his stick on Kastelic’s legs and the two went at it, exchanging a couple of nice blows. Greer, mysteriously, escaped an instigator minor.

Trent Frederic tried to spark his mates by challenging Matthew Tkachuk, but the Panther wouldn’t oblige — just like last season’s playoffs — and Frederic was hit with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Tkachuk’s unwillingness to match up surprised Frederic.

“He said yeah, and he didn’t [drop his gloves], so it’s kind of hard when someone says, yeah,” said Frederic. “He actually asked me because I was asking him and then he didn’t, so it’s hard to read that.”

“I mean, the game was 4-1 after first, so not too happy with that,” said Korpisalo. “A couple weird bounces. Four go in in one period. It doesn’t matter how many shots you got there. It’s pretty tough to climb back there.”

The Bruins showed a little life as the second opened but couldn’t cash in on their chances.

The Panthers upped the advantage to 5-1 and this time it wasn’t the usual suspects. The fresh faces got involved.

Following another sloppy center ice exchange, Boqvist bolted down the left side before saucering a cross-slot pass to Jonah Gadjovich, who banged it home.

Shortly after the goal the Panther crowd started a “We want Swayman” chant. They weren’t getting Boston’s $66 million man on this night.

Almost as if he was responding to them, Korpisalo made his best save of the night, denying Aleksander Barkov on a breakaway with a nice flash of the right pad.

Boston got it to 5-2 when Bobrovsky couldn’t cleanly glove Johnny Beecher’s snapper and McAvoy zipped home the rebound.

Things got ugly (and a little dangerous) when Max Jones was slashed by Evan Rodrigues and when Jones went to return the favor, he instead caught linesman Devin Berg. Jones was sent off for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Rodrigues scored to make it 6-2 with Bennett barreling over Korpisalo a split second after the puck went in. The hit set off a mini melee that resulted in a Boston power play.

Frederic and David Pastrnak scored in the last four minutes to pull the Bruins within two goals. That late surge was a silver lining to Frederic.

“I thought a positive there is we kept pushing back and I think we just ran out of time, and we’ll get them in the next week or so,” Frederic said of the upcoming Columbus Day matinee rematch. “I think it’s good. I mean, it’ll be fun at our rink.”
While quoting Freddy extensively they conveniently left-out that he said that Tkachuk’s antics are disrespectful to the game. Can’t be letting that idea get spread around about the “new NHL’s” poster boy.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

If they suck on Halloween I’ll be concerned but I don’t think so

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The Carlo/Lohrei pairing was familiar and looked awful

The worst line of the night was Jones-Freddy-Brazeau--- Caved in.

Florida spends a little over 19mil on their D core and the Bruins sit at about 30. They need to and prob will be much better as the season goes on
Agreed, I won't work myself up over one game, I'm sure they are still shaking off the rust a bit. Get better next game and go from there

If they suck on Halloween I’ll be concerned but I don’t think so
Yeah im not one to overract over a game, so hopefully they can continue to build and improve from here, I'd shake up the d pair and bottom 6 to start

Reactions: LouJersey

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
I’m curious if the bruins starting line up played together at all in the preseason? Looks like guys are unfamiliar with each other on top of being out of shape.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I’m curious if the bruins starting line up played together at all in the preseason? Looks like guys are unfamiliar with each other on top of being out of shape.
I watched like .0001% of the preseason, but I do believe this is the first game with all of their starters in, aside from Sway of course

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The thing that bothers me is that Monty has no answer for when Florida turns it up.
It reminds me of Cherry vs Scotty Bowman in the 70's. Cherry never could find the right answer in beating the Habs in the playoffs. Always a step behind especially with games at the old Forum.

And another thing.....
ESPN's broadcast was horrible. Stick with college ball.
Yes I do want to see replays of penalties. Some of the calls last night the broadcast crew couldn't figure out who a penalty was for. Neither did we. Then show the #&%*% replay.
so.....same problem all teams they beat towards winning the cup had, this isn`t a Monty issue, the boys simply didn`t start on time. They`ll be better....I think:D

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I only caught the first and watched the highlights (love sick season) but it just seemed like one team was ready for this game while the other was shaking off the rust. A lot of guys wide open in front of Korpi.

We're on to Montreal. Good news is the Bs play the cats again on Monday so they can hopefully bounce back and return the favor.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
By the numbers, the only line not to get outplayed last night was the Bruins 4th line

1728479362703.png

S = Shots
G = Goals
SC = Scoring Chances
HDC = High Danger Chances

Taking a quick look at the shot heat map its pretty clear that Florida went to the dirty area a lot and got rewarded for it.

1728479541500.png

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I really think Poitras is a 3rd line difference maker when he's healthy and bump him up to 2nd line RW situationally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad