GDT: Game 1: Sharks vs. Blues 7:30pm ESPN+/Hulu. It begins!

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Just got home:

This falls squarely on Warsofsky. Sharks stopped skating. You can see in the second what happens when the sharks work hard, more their feet, and play with pace and urgency.

In the third, they quit playing hockey. No skating. No effort. Like a 20 min pk. That’s a coaching failure and continuation of the Quinn garbage. Warsofsky is new. He cannot allow this to happen again.

Also, As predicted, smith belongs in the Ahl. He created next to nothing. Great pass to granny in the first but after a gift turnover. He wasn’t bad per se, but created nothing with two good players. He needs to home his game in the A.

gush is a waste in the fourth line. He needs skills on his line.

Warsofsky has work to do.

This is his rookie year as a HC in the NHL, but yes, he does have his work cut out for him. Blues coach made some adjustments and won the 3rd quarter and game. War didn't seem to counter during that period.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
This is his rookie year as a HC in the NHL, but yes, he does have his work cut out for him. Blues coach made some adjustments and won the 3rd quarter and game. War didn't seem to counter during that period.

I would think he would let the team know the plan as to how they would hold leads. If he had told them how he planned to protect leads and then went against it in his 1st game, I think it would be hard for players to trust what his plans were. I could be wrong but I would think the players had an idea of what he wanted and who would play more with a lead.

Now let's see if he learned from it, but I would give him a pass opening night.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think a lot of people in here are looking at Celebrini’s debut and comparing it to Smith’s. Smith looked fine out there. Was he great? No but he looked like a rookie. Those saying he needs to go back to the AHL I’d ask why? He held his own against NHLers. Maybe if the wear and tear gets to be too much then send him down but for now I’d say give him 10 games see if there’s improvement. It seemed he got better from the first to the second. Can’t say the same about the third period but the entire team looked bad in the third period.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think a lot of people in here are looking at Celebrini’s debut and comparing it to Smith’s. Smith looked fine out there. Was he great? No but he looked like a rookie. Those saying he needs to go back to the AHL I’d ask why? He held his own against NHLers. Maybe if the wear and tear gets to be too much then send him down but for now I’d say give him 10 games see if there’s improvement. It seemed he got better from the first to the second. Can’t say the same about the third period but the entire team looked bad in the third period.
Yeah, I’m surprised at how much criticism Smith is receiving. The puck was following him around and he made some good decisions when he got it and his line had a few dangerous chances. He definitely can play offense at this level and I don’t think there’s anywhere better for him to learn to play defense.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah, I’m surprised at how much criticism Smith is receiving. The puck was following him around and he made some good decisions when he got it and his line had a few dangerous chances. He definitely can play offense at this level and I don’t think there’s anywhere better for him to learn to play defense.
I do understand it in a way. Watching his play exclusively and not really his impact I guess, he looked very nonchalant but like you said puck was following him. Him and Macklin were kind of similar in that way. Lots of times both of them seemed like they were skating slow or just didn’t seem super engaged but that’s because they were already in the right position. Both of them were doing “work smarter not harder.” Now obviously with Smith it was much less consistent but I just don’t see the point in sending him down at this point.

JBeast

Oct 22, 2007
Skellefteå
Obviously only the first period but I don’t think it’s reach to say Mack will end up being better than Bedard in the long run he’s got such a complete game already it’s insane. Smith on the other hand should probably be on the wing he’s just a step behind on decision making and I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up in the AHL. Blackwood is god tier that is all

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They deserved to lose that game given how the 1st and 3rd periods went. The Blues were the better team but blowing a 3 goal 3rd period lead is inexcusable.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I would think he would let the team know the plan as to how they would hold leads. If he had told them how he planned to protect leads and then went against it in his 1st game, I think it would be hard for players to trust what his plans were. I could be wrong but I would think the players had an idea of what he wanted and who would play more with a lead.

Now let's see if he learned from it, but I would give him a pass opening night.
Step 1. Dont protect leads
Step 2. Dont change what got you the lead
Step 3. Win Games

Reactions: Bizz

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
First loss of many, won't be the only time we blow a lead. Sure, would have been nice not to, but we were lucky to be up 4-1 anyway. Blues were the much better team and deserved to win. I'd rather not start hand wringing over losses and start assigning blame already, but look at the positives.

Macklin obviously looked very good. What a thrill to watch him score the first goal for us this season.

I'm confused by the Will Smith criticism. Feel like he is being held up to Celebrini levels of expectations. He looked fine as a 19 year old rookie. Had his moments. Obviously has a ways to go and probably would benefit from some AHL time, but its not like he looked inept out there.

I love Eklund. Was so good to see his reaction to Celebrini's goal. Felt like a leader. Wouldn't be surprised to see a letter on his jersey in the near future.

I'm excited for this season. Not in terms of wins and losses, fully expect another real crack at #1 overall. But its going to be fun to see the kids grow. Hopefully sometime this season, we see Mukh and Askarov play as well.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I refuse to read this thread to find out who is criticizing Smith for this game, but anyone criticizing Smith for this game is simply never going to like Will Smith. The same way many people just never liked Marleau because he wasn't "intense" or "physical" or "high-energy" or whatever you want to call it. Even if Smith is putting up 90 point seasons, some people are just going to hate how he plays.

Reactions: coooldude

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I refuse to read this thread to find out who is criticizing Smith for this game, but anyone criticizing Smith for this game is simply never going to like Will Smith. The same way many people just never liked Marleau because he wasn't "intense" or "physical" or "high-energy" or whatever you want to call it. Even if Smith is putting up 90 point seasons, some people are just going to hate how he plays.
He's definitely gonna be the lightning rod.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

So he’ll pretty much be our version of Mitch Marner lol

MackAttack71

May 10, 2024
Germany
I wonder if one of the other shark players got the puck out of the net or the refs to bring it to the bench. Because i haven't seen the typical foto with the tape on the puck, smiling Macklin presenting it etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad