GDT: Game 1: Red Wings vs penguins 8:00 pm et 10/10/24

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, I honestly can't believe the Husso start. It's baffling. Last season Husso was so bad that we rode Lyon into the ground with exhaustion. Talbot was an actually effective goalie in the NHL. So to start this year, Husso is the starter, Talbot is the backup, and Lyon is the third goalie. Just baffling

Agreed. It's not like Husso played lights out and then got injured so deserves a shot at retaining the starting goalie position. I thought Talbot was going to get the nod.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
90 to 100 points is the definition of bubble team to me. If you want to definitely be in you're looking at expecting 100+ minimum and no one has been here saying the Wings should definitely be a 100+ point team.

yeah that sounds pretty dead on as far as a range of being a bubble team goes to me

I wouldn't call an 85 point team a bubble team because there's no remotely realistic chance 85 points is enough to make it, same with 105 points and missing

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
What I want to see - and ASP can help here - the best teams in hockey have their defensemen constantly active - and their C's are working to interchange non-stop (Maybe not C, but F1) where you can utilize the channels from the point down into the slot - think Hedman, Makar, Fox - this is where I think we struggle. Larkin and Compher can be that F1 - Seider I don't see moving down as much - Ghost and Walman - they fit that mold - what we have now? I am hopeful that there is a new system that will take over from the one that has been on top the last 4-6 years and that is what Stevie is building - ultimately it is the systems that dominate and teams build for in their windows. We're entering a window and we will not likely be able to build how it's winning today. This is the same impact when the Avs came to dominance - they brought in Patrick Roy and he brought in the winning systems from Jr hockey and ran with it. What will be our catalyst? A superstar surely helps - but Florida was able to do it by moving out a star and bringing in another - the system, and the parts to fit the system were more important than the roster alone. - So what is our system? What separates us from other teams that we can build around and adjust pieces to fit with this core?

They did it at the beginning of the last season, issue was they had a lot of forwards who can cover for those activated D and also not careful enough with the puck. Their D is also quite slow for the most part so they cannot recover that easiliy. That resulted in a lot of dangerous odd man rushes against, so they stopped it. For each strategy/system you also need personal fit, and as long they still play Chiarot/Petry/Gustafsson with Tarasenko/Kane/DeBrincat i don't think it is agood idea. To answer your question better skating D and more defensively responsible/disciplined forwards.

Reactions: opivy

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
My take of the game.

I'm not throwing Husso under the bus on that game, but I won't ignore the fact he did let in one softie. I'd say Edvinsson was by far the worst player on the team and was a big reason why the wheels fell off. Team defense was the 2nd worst part of the night. The Velno/Berggren line looks horrid.

Husso and Edvinsson I think are slow starters. They'll both turn it around. I'm not a fan of Veleno and would be perfectly fine trading him for another NHL center project, or call up Kasper. I'd prefer Kasper stay in GR and drive the 1st line. I would hope there's a dumb team out there that would love to have Veleno, maybe he has trade value?

Opening season against the Pens who had their legs and were in their game #2. This game wasn't an indicator of the season, hopefully it'll be a positive motivating factor going forward. Let them take their lumps and get pissed off, so they can use it to be better!

Sucks losing, especially game 1 at home.... But there's nothing here to panic about.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, I honestly can't believe the Husso start. It's baffling. Last season Husso was so bad that we rode Lyon into the ground with exhaustion. Talbot was an actually effective goalie in the NHL. So to start this year, Husso is the starter, Talbot is the backup, and Lyon is the third goalie. Just baffling

I kinda get the feeling that the Wings are maybe a little too influenced by the fact that Husso is making almost $5m this year

like yeah I get that it looks bad to be paying your #3 guy that much but the contract ends after this year anyways they need to get over it

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
We have 3 goaltenders , Husso had bad game , now what.
these-corgis-on-this-merry-go-round-is-a-lesson-in-zen

• Haha
Reactions: Gniwder and lilidk

cjm502

Holy Jumpin!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
This organization has seemingly had horrible goaltending evaluation/coaching for the better part of a decade. Aside from one year of Hot Jimmy and one year of Hot Petr :naughty: our goaltending has left a lot to be desired, maybe Lyon can be the guy if we don't run him in to the ground again. The brass being higher on Husso then our other two is puzzling. If they are talking him up and hoping he plays well enough to boost his value to get a late round pick in a trade that's understandable, but other then that I'm not buying their BS.

Reactions: lilidk

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
90 to 100 points is the definition of bubble team to me. If you want to definitely be in you're looking at expecting 100+ minimum and no one has been here saying the Wings should definitely be a 100+ point team.

That's ok, it's subjective imo, teams that are in the 88-92 points seem to be on the bubble(in/out) if you get 93 points. Most years in the NHL, you're in the playoffs. I'll let you look yourself to see how many 93 points teams missed the playoffs in the last... 10-15 years. I know the answer but, people are better to look and realize themselves. Being told makes people uneasy.

True on the 2nd bolded.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That's ok, it's subjective imo, teams that are in the 88-92 points seem to be on the bubble(in/out) if you get 93 points. Most years in the NHL, you're in the playoffs. I'll let you look yourself to see how many 93 points teams missed the playoffs in the last... 10-15 years. I know the answer but, people are better to look and realize themselves. Being told makes people uneasy.

True on the 2nd bolded.

10 teams have missed the Playoffs with 93 points or more in the last 8 full seasons

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
10 teams have missed the Playoffs with 93 points or more in the last 8 full seasons
So if you do the math of the 16 teams that make the playoffs each year, in that 8 year span, if you got 93 or more points you had about a 8% chance of missing the playoffs. No it's not impossible but that's not exactly a bubble situation, to me(imo), you're more likely in than out.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So if you do the math of the 16 teams that make the playoffs each year, in that 8 year span, if you got 93 or more points you had about a 8% chance of missing the playoffs. No it's not impossible but that's not exactly a bubble situation, to me(imo), you're more likely in than out.
Doing the math at 93+ includes all teams with 100+ which has no bearing on whether or not a 93 pt team is a bubble team or not.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

as norrisnick said this is silly

by that same exact logic if you got 85 or more points you only had a 28% chance of missing the Playoffs

if you had 70 or more points you had a 42% chance of missing the Playoffs

does that mean real bubble teams at at like 65 points? because that's probably about where it crosses 50% with the way you're looking at things

Last edited:
Reactions: norrisnick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad