GDT: Game 1: Red Wings vs penguins 8:00 pm et 10/10/24

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Here is one more I don't get. I understand the value of Christian Fischer and I can see value in Tyler Motte.

I don't see the value in having both. This is similar to what they did last year doubling down on crap with Holl and Petry which helped keep Ed down. They are basically the exact same player, around 30 point grinders. The two of them on the roster are going to keep Kasper down. Would rather one be gone and Kasper on the roster.

Reactions: raymond23

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
Here is one more I don't get. I understand the value of Christian Fischer and I can see value in Tyler Motte.

I don't see the value in having both. This is similar to what they did last year doubling down on crap with Holl and Petry which helped keep Ed down. They are basically the exact same player, around 30 point grinders. The two of them on the roster are going to keep Kasper down. Would rather one be gone and Kasper on the roster.
Never mind that. Get rid of copp. Play Kasper on the 2nd line and compher on the 3rd line where he belongs. Much better.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Just watched highlights. Team defense is still crap and goaltending is still a big issue with us. Neither were addressed this off-season. Another bubble team-ish season incoming.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Edvinsson looked like a guy who has a ton of talent, but lacks experience, so we suffered through his growing pains tonight. Wish we suffered through some of this last season.
You mean he didn't hold is on pair like some here stated he would? How shocking, why isn't he the ultimate superstar D-man already?
They set his development back by having him play with a bunch of future plumbers and high school coaches. Meanwhile, worse players like Maata and Petry were in his place.
He. Was. Not. Ready. Last season. What is it you don't get with that?

Edvinsson makes some plays that no defender on this team is capable of. But he's also making a lot of mistakes, which is okay when transitioning to NHL... Always seems harder for taller guys like him to transition aswell.
Exactly, kid needs time. And Chiarot needs a couch he can play Commodore 64 on.
For this game, they shouldn't have started Huuso.
Too many weak goals against, but it's one game. Possible to play into shape instead of falling off.
Little disappointing letting in 6 goals vs. a team that wasn't really playing well.
Felt like a preseason game.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
let’s dispel any notions that copp is in anyway a useful player. He is not. I don’t care if he scores 30 points. I don’t care if he PKs. He brings nothing to anything. This is a guy who had like 30 hits in the past 90 games or something. He is charmin soft at checking, and he doesn’t have some sort of offensive potential to make up for it. He is a mediocre skater at best, guys not even fast. Even when he was running a shut down role, he’d get burnt. No, he is a grinder who isn’t good enough to be a good one and only scores some points because of the minutes he plays because he’s forced to play up the lineup, if you switched him with veleno I genuinely think even veleno could do better in his role, and I think veleno is a replacement level player. Worst part is, copp is actively keeping kasper from being on the roster with his shit contract. Probably one of my least favorite red wings of all time, like there’s so many nights where he just looks like he’s not even trying. I can handle players who aren’t very good if they give it their all all the time, this guy seems to just not give a rats ass. Someone tell me if I’m wrong, like I may be being irrational but he bugs me so much. I appreciate he blocks shots, and he seems like a good dude personally, but as a player I can’t stand him.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
For this game, they shouldn't have started Huuso.
He was the best goalie in preseason, is highest paid, and we desperately need to see if he can regain his form. It actually made sense to start him.

It was just one game but there is still some things that are concerning. The defensive puzzle looks like it's possibly going to be an even bigger struggle than last year. Gustafsson was our worst D in preseason (I'm including Wallinder and Tuomisto in that ranking) and was brutal in this game too.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I fell asleep in the second like the team apparently. Woke up and watched the replay- wish I'd stayed asleep.

Our pro D scouting is just straight up garbage. While Chiarot, Petry, Maatta and Gustafsson are playing important roles, we will struggle. They suck. Edvinsson made a lot of mistakes today and was still clearly our second best D. We should bring back the Roman policy of decimation. If a military unit abandoned their post, they'd have the rest of the unit beat one tenth of their number to death. It would motivate those that remained to get their act together and remove incompetents.

I thought our offense looked pretty good in general. Raymond seems to be picking up where he left off and that's great. Besides a few blown coverages, Seider was good too.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Team looked bad. Nice 1st period.

They've got about two months to shake it out imo, but 79 points seems more and more legit the more I keep talking about it. I peeked at the schedule before the season started... I don't think it's been talked about enough that it's actually realistic to see the Red Wings go winless in October. I dont expect it but the first month is hard.

wasn't this the expectation from the beginning?
NO, everyone's been shouting playoffs you know this. Saying 90-100 points isn't really a "fringe" playoff team, to me, thats pretty firmly in the hunt.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
congrats shanahanman, bet hes so stoked wings lost he wont b able to sleep tonight
No ones stoked to watch the Wings loose what the heck. Not even the guys that have been a little negative over the summer/last years TDL.

Mostly..... *ME*

Teams are always rusty at the beginning of the season. Very few exceptions. It is like this around the league every year.
I'm gonna wait till about Thanksgiving to judge hard(Unless they go winless or something in October).

To be frank, they had a wild preseason, too many games, too soon, with too many different players/lines. I hate to give them that, but it was a stupid stretch.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Edvinsson leading the team in High Danger Chances Against again. He still needs to improve a lot if he's going to make it in the NHL

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Only 1 game but def won't make any of us feel better since most of us were worried about the defense and goaltending to begin with. All our fears just hit.

I can't get over how bad Edvinsson was in the d zone, if it's just Mo with less help than last season. It's gonna be a tough one.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I just came to read a handful of reactions, and it reconfirmed how exhausted of most of you I am. The one guarantee is that this is going to be a miserable place to be for the rest of the season.

Reactions: lilidk

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I just came to read a handful of reactions, and it reconfirmed how exhausted of most of you I am. The one guarantee is that this is going to be a miserable place to be for the rest of the season.

Not if they improve in points from last year...

But if they don't, after almost a decade of being lousy, should anything else be expected?

Reactions: taliababa

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Team looked bad. Nice 1st period.

They've got about two months to shake it out imo, but 79 points seems more and more legit the more I keep talking about it. I peeked at the schedule before the season started... I don't think it's been talked about enough that it's actually realistic to see the Red Wings go winless in October. I dont expect it but the first month is hard.

NO, everyone's been shouting playoffs you know this. Saying 90-100 points isn't really a "fringe" playoff team, to me, thats pretty firmly in the hunt.

90 to 100 points is the definition of bubble team to me. If you want to definitely be in you're looking at expecting 100+ minimum and no one has been here saying the Wings should definitely be a 100+ point team.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I fell asleep in the second like the team apparently. Woke up and watched the replay- wish I'd stayed asleep.

Our pro D scouting is just straight up garbage. While Chiarot, Petry, Maatta and Gustafsson are playing important roles, we will struggle. They suck. Edvinsson made a lot of mistakes today and was still clearly our second best D. We should bring back the Roman policy of decimation. If a military unit abandoned their post, they'd have the rest of the unit beat one tenth of their number to death. It would motivate those that remained to get their act together and remove incompetents.

I thought our offense looked pretty good in general. Raymond seems to be picking up where he left off and that's great. Besides a few blown coverages, Seider was good too.
All of our pro scouting is garbage. Almost all the guys we signed are bad
Should we be happy when the team is trash? Wtf do you expect from people on a message board ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad