GDT: Game 1: Red Wings vs penguins 8:00 pm et 10/10/24

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Teams all over the league toss kids that can score and not much else into their scoring lines. Hard to prove much of anything if the bulk of your NHL experience is with Veleno and Czarnik. And he scored 15 goals in such a deployment. He could easily drop 20g 30p this season with 2nd line PP2 icetime. But he's gotta be a grinder first...
20 goals and 30 points would be awful production if he was on the second line and the PP. All of the other players in the top 6 significantly out scored that margin last season.

I’m all for giving a kid opportunities to succeed but not that expense of legitimately better players, especially when Berggren doesn’t bring anything else to the role besides (theoretical) offense.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe let them create one before judging. I mean that's pretty the job Veleno and Berggren have this season. Prove they have something to bring to the lineup that make them valuable over Kasper, Mazur, Danielson etc. breathing down their necks.
It's a spare parts line because none of them are going to get a free ride to playing 82 games. Prove it or lose it.
"Identity" is just one way to look at it. Fine, let them try to create an identity I guess. But in the more tangible short-term, what is this line? What are they supposed to do? What is their assignment out there? What's their deployment? The NHL isn't just 'make some lines and toss them out there.' Every line must have a purpose. It's clear what that is for the top 3 lines. This one though is...

wack-thatswack.gif

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Experience seems to matter more than anything. So knocking out rookie games and getting experience should count for a lot, right?

5 players under the age of 21 can still gain some experience and learn the pro game while maturing in the AHL. There is lots of time to integrate these kids on to the NHL roster. Their whole future is still ahead of them.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
My issue with that 4th line is that it has zero identity.

Berg-Veleno-Ras
Motte-Copp-Fisher

At least that sort of makes sense. You have a shutdown line and maybe one with a little more offensive potential. Would prefer Kasper centering that line, but as he's not there, I could live with this. Depending on if we need D or Offensive the ensuing line plays more.

Our current 4th line very much screams spare parts.

With that said I'm expecting a total jumble within 10 games as I don't see this current forward lineup working well overall unless the DBC-Larkin-Raymond line starts scoring at a crazy pace. Tank doesn't have a great history at LW and that 2nd line only works if he and Kane click.
That’s been my issue with the Berg-Veleno line too. I’ve been treating our Ras-Copp-Fischer line as our de facto fourth line shut down line but then that just leaves us with a pretty lame third line.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
How many standings points do rookie games count for?
They count for future standings points whereby those rookies get to actually improve and gain experience and make your team better in the future, as opposed to Fischer, Motte, Andrew Copp, Justin Holl, Jeff Petry, etc who will all be gone in a few years

It always amazes me how many people here believe the wings specifically have the secret sauce for success compared to every other team in the. NHL.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
They count for future standings points whereby those rookies get to actually improve and gain experience and make your team better in the future, as opposed to Fischer, Motte, Andrew Copp, Justin Holl, Jeff Petry, etc who will all be gone in a few years

It always amazes me how many people here believe the wings specifically have the secret sauce for success compared to every other team in the. NHL.

It always amazes me how many people believe players can't develop in the AHL and take the night 1 lineup as the definitive unchangeable lineup for the following 81 games.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't like the lineup. Blashill's teams were so bad I'm not sure I cared what his lines were, but I miss the days of Babcock and Bowman where the lines at least made some sense. We might have had our pet causes where we wanted this or that player to get more ice time, but where they put guys you got the reasoning behind it. I might just be entirely wrong and these lanes will be great, but if they're not I don't have faith in Lalonde changing them.
Hatred for our lineups is almost a Pavlovian response at this point. I am going to start keeping track just to prove that people will bitch about the lineups no matter what form they take. Honestly, the titanic just does not have that many deck chairs at this point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, let's f***ing go so this off-season non-sense will finally end.

People are clearly losing their minds on these long non-playoff summers. We need some playoff hockey to shorten those damn summers, which were much shorter in our glory years.

Drop that damn puck! :yo:

Reactions: saska sault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad