GDT: Game 1 - Penguins vs Rangers - 7:30 PM - All My Happiness is Gone

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
10+ goals 25+ points would be a successful season for McGroarty right? Assuming absolutely zero PP time holds true.

He needs to be at about 15-20 goals and 35-40 points, that's pretty comparable with what other guys similar to McGroarty have done.

Wyatt Johnson had 24 goals and 41 points as a 19 year old rookie in 2022-2023, and even if you take out PP points, he still had 21 goals and 34 points. I'd expect 15 goals and 35 points as the minimum for what I'd call "successful".

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He needs to be at about 15-20 goals and 35-40 points, that's pretty comparable with what other guys similar to McGroarty have done.

Wyatt Johnson had 24 goals and 41 points as a 19 year old rookie in 2022-2023, and even if you take out PP points, he still had 21 goals and 34 points. I'd expect 15 goals and 35 points as the minimum for what I'd call "successful".
That’s a massive ask. Eller had 21 5v5 points last year, of which 13 were primary.

Knies is real comparable IMO and put up the numbers you are talking about with Matthews and Marner as his two most common linemates at 5v5.

Do not think McG is scoring 20 and 40 as a full time bottom 6er with zero PP time.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think a 15g, 35pt season is pretty achievable. Especially if he stays in Sully's good graces, might get bumped up to play with Sid or Geno throughout the season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Groats' production will be determined with how he is deployed and how many opportunities he's given. To have made a Mike Sullivan team as a 20 year old without any pro experience is already successful IMO.

But I mean... if he sticks on L3 all season with minimal PP time and no chances to move up here and there to the top six as a reward/injuries then I'm thinking like 35ish total points and 10ish goals. I wouldn't hate that. Not an easy situation to produce numbers here in Pittsburgh, right?

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Fwiw, there were 95 NHL players who scored between 30-40pts last season. A 35pt season isn't a huge ask, imo.

But yeah, I think it's clearly more on Sullivan's usage than McG's ability.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

Wyatt spent 87% of his time EV, 11% on the PP, and only 2% on the PK.

Given Sullys love for young players several years ago I’m sure Groats will get the same treatment.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Please stop, I'm trying to maintain my delusion in thinking that this team can still win a Cup 8 years after the last one.
Cup, according to management, this is pretty much the last season they're hoping to make the playoffs! If they fail, expect somewhat of a rebuild/retool that's already started, but much more agressive going forward.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
well with Jarry in net you're more likely to miss the playoffs then make, especially when we only miss by a handful of points and you look over at Jarry who can be counted on to give away at least 3 games a season

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Majority of people in the US no longer have cable. The people who fall into that bucket are trying to figure out how to watch it.
The most boomer thing about me is that I pay for cable with all the sports. Why? Because I can't bothered to keep track which one of the 47 apps has the game on that I want to watch.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know what to make of tonight's game. There seems to be a lot of negativity in Rangers land at the moment. I suspect beating us handily would be somewhat of a cure-all, at least temporarily. It seems they had Brodzinski in Rempe's spot in the lineup at the morning skate.

If teams decide NOT to dress their most physical players against us this season, I chalk that up as a win for us. If I were playing Mike Sullivan, I would dress my biggest and baddest and try to run them any chance I get. Not only because we don't have a physical response, but also because our PP sucks.

Hopefully, this trend continues. We need our aging superstars upright and in the lineup at all times.

Reactions: Sideline

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Rooting for Mcgroarty to do well and Crosby/Malkin to hit 1600/1300 points. The team overall could look ugly this year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Majority of people in the US no longer have cable. The people who fall into that bucket are trying to figure out how to watch it.
I wouldn't say the majority don't. Quite a lot still have cable. I have apps and such but good old cable helps eliminate such matters.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The most boomer thing about me is that I pay for cable with all the sports. Why? Because I can't bothered to keep track which one of the 47 apps has the game on that I want to watch.
Don't be ashamed of who you are, you still matter to someone (I'm guessing).

Also, when you have many apps it can be more expensive than cable.

I have a few friends where by one of us will play for Netflix, another pays for Hulu or Amazon and we just mooch off each other. We don't need to save money necessarily, but why pay more when we don't have to? We also all have either cable or SAT. As well as their 20 something kiddos who have their own places. ALL have cable.

Reactions: Sideline

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I wouldn't say the majority don't. Quite a lot still have cable. I have apps and such but good old cable helps eliminate such matters.
40% have it which in turn means 60% don’t which would be the majority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad