GDT: GAME 1 | PANTHERS VS SENATORS | THE ULLMARK ERA BEGINS | Thu Oct 10, 2024, 7PM

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I find this thread interesting from a human nature perspective. I think everyone agrees a win is a win as god knows how many people have stated this in their post. Yet, people react differently to observations/evaluations about the game. Some people just see it as an evaluation/observation, while others react to those evaluations/observations snd seem to feel a need to defend. It's just human nature and people will respond differently, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Human nature - human psychology, negative versus positive. IMO the win signifies a number of things for a team that didn't make the playoffs last yr & needed a big win in order for the team to turn the page. It's just one game & who knows how it will turn out, but from going to not making the playoffs to beating the defending champs is huge for a young team needing motivation & to believe in themselves as well as their goaltender & I think they achieved both those things last night.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
1/1 to start the year off feels good man.

Glad I got to watch the game on a delay. Did we have issues? Yup. Did Ullmark step up? Yup. Did the team bend but not break? YUP.

We are not going to be the best team on the ice for every period. But if the team can keep up this mentality of being a little better every day, then we're going to win more than we lose, and lord am I here for it.

As for different perspectives coming out of last night and our struggles in the last two periods, I think watching other teams play helps. Watch objectively, and see how momentum shifts in a game, the ebb and flow of pressure, forechecking, and d-zone breakouts. I think you'll find that the things you worry about happen to every team, on any given night.

Reactions: aragorn

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Human nature - human psychology, negative versus positive. IMO the win signifies a number of things for a team that didn't make the playoffs last yr & needed a big win in order for the team to turn the page. It's just one game & who knows how it will turn out, but from going to not making the playoffs to beating the defending champs is huge for a young team needing motivation & to believe in themselves as well as their goaltender & I think they achieved both those things last night.
Indeed, some individuals are fixated on the past, and there are those who consistently view the glass as half empty rather than half full. It's only one game, and the outcome of the rest of the season remains uncertain, but one thing is certain: I will continue to support them. True fans stand by their team through both triumphs and tribulations.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1/1 to start the year off feels good man.

Glad I got to watch the game on a delay. Did we have issues? Yup. Did Ullmark step up? Yup. Did the team bend but not break? YUP.

We are not going to be the best team on the ice for every period. But if the team can keep up this mentality of being a little better every day, then we're going to win more than we lose, and lord am I here for it.

As for different perspectives coming out of last night and our struggles in the last two periods, I think watching other teams play helps. Watch objectively, and see how momentum shifts in a game, the ebb and flow of pressure, forechecking, and d-zone breakouts. I think you'll find that the things you worry about happen to every team, on any given night.
Very intuitive observations.

Reactions: Relapsing

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Shane Pinto is quickly becoming a complete player, he made several key takeaways, scored a goal, was good in the faceoff circle & plays a strong defensive game. He's got good size, is getting stronger, hits, blocks shots, can play the PP or the PK & seems to be taking off offensively.

Last edited:

Psycroptic86

Oct 5, 2019
Shane Pinto is quickly becoming a complete player, he made several key takeaways, scored a goal, was good in the faceoff ceircle & plays a strong defensive game. He's got good size, is getting stronger, hits, blocks shots, can play the PP or the PK & seems to be taking off offensively.
He was one of the best forwards last night. I also liked Stutzle's game. Those two goals were nice.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We had one defenseman on the ice on that Panthers goal (Chabot). That makes me feel better. Our one big failure to keep the Panthers to the outside was after a powerplay with 4 forwards on the ice.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Psychology was probably the better word that I was looking for. On an Internet website, there’s a lots of people with a wide range of personalities and ideas. It would be really surprising and unrealistic to think that people will think and react the same way.

I don’t think most people disagree with a lot of what you have said, and I know that I don’t. A lot (not all of course) of the evaluations and feedback from the game last night seemed pretty reasonable and accurate.

But the reactions to those evaluations/feedback is what I find interesting. Some people feel it's just an evaluation or observation, while others seem to react and feel a need to respond and defend. I do find that interesting.

Not sure people’s minds will change based on what they read, but keeping an open mind and absorbing info from multiple sources sure seems like a good idea to me. In a different setting, they call the fog of war. So, the psychology is what I find interesting and is one of the reasons a website like this is interesting. Its not the only reason of course, but its one of them.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Psychology was probably the better word that I was looking for. On an Internet website, there’s a lots of people with a wide range of personalities and ideas. It would be really surprising and unrealistic to think that people will think and react the same way.

A lot (not all of course) of the evaluations and feedback from the game last night seemed pretty reasonable and accurate.

But the reactions to those evaluations/feedback is what I find interesting. Some people feel it's just an evaluation or observation, while others seem to react and feel a need to respond and defend. I do find that interesting.

Not sure people’s minds will change based on what they read, but keeping an open mind and absorbing info from multiple sources sure seems like a good idea to me. In a different setting, they call the fog of war. So, the psychology is what I find interesting and is one of the reasons a website like this is interesting. Its not the only reason of course, but its one of them.
Zub & I have been going back & forth on numerous players, we are usually very much opposed to the others views. It doesn't really mean anything, I try not to delve too deeply into something as trivial as hockey & sports in general that I watch for entertainment. But I am usually a glass half full guy, afterall IMO it's better to be optimistic & be wrong than pessimistic & be right.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Indeed, some individuals are fixated on the past, and there are those who consistently view the glass as half empty rather than half full. It's only one game, and the outcome of the rest of the season remains uncertain, but one thing is certain: I will continue to support them. True fans stand by their team through both triumphs and tribulations.
True fans, fair weather fans, glass half empty is how you (and a few others) choose to interpret what you read here. Maybe it's people just observing what they saw and providing feedback. I’m not sure why this triggers such a reaction, or why you expect everyone to have the same thinking, but it is interesting.

Generally speaking, I think posters are pretty happy with the win, and have resoundingly responded with comments like “a win is a win”. Human nature/psychology has been the more recent discussion here.

Last edited:

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
The Panthers deserve a ton of credit. They are one of the best teams in the league and when they poured it on in the 2nd and 3rd periods, there wasn't much Ottawa could do. Thankfully, we had Ullmark. Credit also to the Sens for blocking 30 Panther shot attempts.

I loved what I saw from Stutzle last night. That's the number one center we need. Unfortunately, I didn't think Norris was very noticeable. As others have said, Pinto has quickly become one of our top guys which is amazing.

I thought Brady was rusty.. maybe a bit lazy on a few plays. I have no doubts he will ramp up the intensity. I thought G was also rusty.. his playmaking attempts were mostly broken up. Again, credit to the Panthers. They are a nasty team.

One criticism I have for the Sens: They HAVE to improve their zone entry on the PP. Good lord they struggle with this. I watch Florida do it and they make it look so damn easy. Ottawa comes down and gets rejected over and over. Travis Green.. are you listening?

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Zub & I have been going back & forth on numerous players, we are usually very much opposed to the others views. It doesn't really mean anything, I try not to delve too deeply into something as trivial as hockey & sports in general that I watch for entertainment. But I am usually a glass half full guy, afterall IMO it's better to be optimistic & be wrong than pessimistic & be right.
Yes, there are definitely some “personalities” in HF Sens. When you have posters that come here frequently, you learn over time how different posters think, their favourite themes/agendas, etc. Its kind of funny to see some try to deflect what they said in a post as if people don’t know what they meant. I get a bit of chuckle about that.

Yes, it's just sports and the primary purpose is to provide entertainment. Nothing wrong with being optimistic when it comes to subjects like sports. In other areas of course, being overly optimistic can have its pitfalls, but I think sports & fandom should be excluded from that.

I added a bit to a previous post just to provide better clarification to what I was trying to say btw.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I missed the third period but in watching the first two periods the 4th line seemed pretty ineffective to me, Is that the impression everyone else got?

I am not sure if the line of Gregor-Gaudette-Cousins will be very effective in the future either. I think Jenik or Ostapchuk were, and still are, the much better options.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the 4th line?

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I missed the third period but in watching the first two periods the 4th line seemed pretty ineffective to me, Is that the impression everyone else got?

I am not sure if the line of Gregor-Gaudette-Cousins will be very effective in the future either. I think Jenik or Ostapchuk were, and still are, the much better options.

Tough game for them - but it was also the defending cup champs so I'd give them a few more looks together. I'd give Jenik or Ostapchuk a look at C before totally giving up on it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I didn't mind Cousins at all.. I think he did a good job. Gregor was ok. Gaudette is not a good fit as a 4C imo. I'd prefer Jenik or Ostapchuk but I don't mind Ostapchuk getting lots of reps in Belleville. I hope he rises to the top there and comes up somewhere around 15 - 20 games in.
Gaudette is better suited in a more offensive role and there is no room for that now. Sens have options in Belleville to play on the 4th line. the 4C is the most important

Reactions: BigRig4

The Professional

Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
They didn't regroup at all though.

They were fighting for survival till late and got lucky a stick broke.
🙄

Gimme a break with that dramatic shit. SOGs were 31-31 at the end of the day. Sens dominated first period, Panthers settled it in the 2nd and then cranked it up in the third but came up short in the end. You do realize that:

1. There's two teams on the ice. Panthers are the defending champs and steamrolled through the east last year. Did you expect them to just roll over and quit after the first period? They cranked up their forecheck and were firing on all cylinders, Ottawa held the fort and sure, there was that one shift where they were hemmed in their zone but Ullmark made key saves, which brings me to my second point:

2. Goalies are a part of the team. You think the Panthers didn't get elite goaltending and key saves from Bob last year? Every team will have breakdowns, it's inevitable, every team will "fight for survival" at some point, the difference is elite teams have elite goalies who bail them out when it happens. Simple as that. Last year's team 100% would have collapsed in the third and lost the game last night, this year we have a vezina caliber Goalie who can make saves to bail out the D when breakdowns happen. Dunno why you're putting a negative spin on that.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Great start to the season! Nice to see this team fired up, but also calm and collected under pressure. I think all the messaging off the ice about professionalism and striving to do things the right way was visible on ice. Small sample but loved to see it!

That Florida forecheck is something else, holy crap. Ullmark was exactly what everyone hoped he’d be in a game like that, but credit to the skaters too, lots of blocked shots, sticks in lanes, cutting off lanes so that things stayed in the perimeter.

Wasn’t always pretty, but managed to eke out a win with a game plan and discipline under fire. Still gotta work at getting the puck out cleanly and getting on those 50/50 pucks, but that’s what it’s going to look like when they play a top team with an otherworldly forecheck and pressure ability.

So much to love about this team right now!

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
It's game one! If you don't sit still and stop fcking about, I WILL turn this board around and we all go home. No more cottages, Ferraris or Prom Queens. Is that what you want? Does that make you happy? (Adjusts the rearview mirror to be able to glare at everybody) Relax. NOW!

• Haha
Reactions: BigRig4

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Unfortunately Gaudette seems suited for a 3rd line + PP position and the 4th line is simply not for him. However, that is one hell of a Florida team, so everyone needs to wait to assess. I do think Ostapchuk is the better option for line 4 though.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The Panthers deserve a ton of credit. They are one of the best teams in the league and when they poured it on in the 2nd and 3rd periods, there wasn't much Ottawa could do.
They really are impressive. Every single guy on that roster fights hard to win every single puck battle like they're in game 7 of a playoff series. Kudos to Paul Maurice for getting those guys to play that way.

But, I'll also point out that they do a TON of interference.... really pushing the rules to the edge. If the Sens did that they'd be killing penalties the entire game.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
🙄

Gimme a break with that dramatic shit. SOGs were 31-31 at the end of the day. Sens dominated first period, Panthers settled it in the 2nd and then cranked it up in the third but came up short in the end. You do realize that:

1. There's two teams on the ice. Panthers are the defending champs and steamrolled through the east last year. Did you expect them to just roll over and quit after the first period? They cranked up their forecheck and were firing on all cylinders, Ottawa held the fort and sure, there was that one shift where they were hemmed in their zone but Ullmark made key saves, which brings me to my second point:

2. Goalies are a part of the team. You think the Panthers didn't get elite goaltending and key saves from Bob last year? Every team will have breakdowns, it's inevitable, every team will "fight for survival" at some point, the difference is elite teams have elite goalies who bail them out when it happens. Simple as that. Last year's team 100% would have collapsed in the third and lost the game last night, this year we have a vezina caliber Goalie who can make saves to bail out the D when breakdowns happen. Dunno why you're putting a negative spin on that.

Ullmark held the fort.

and yes he is part of the team and good thing too because he is the reason we got 2 points. plenty happy about that. dude could get us into the playoffs.

the team though? they have got to be better than what we saw in the 2nd half, they got rattled. and i bet that's what the coaches are telling them too.

it's not a negative spin it's the reality.

i was plenty complimentary of the 1st period, what's the problem with calling out their effort in the 2nd and 3rd?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Shots were even but clearly other than the 1st period the Panthers put a lot of pressure on the Sens and the Sens had trouble creating any flow.
66-40 in shot attempts at 5v5 and 85-49 all situations Sens did a good job blocking shots but how many shots did the Panthers have that they got sticks on and deflected wide or over the net. This game could have got ugly . Ullmark was rock solid when needed and the Sens eked out the win.

Many times the Sens had the puck and could not get it out. Alot of the time it was the Panthers being absolutely relentless on the puck giving the Sens little time to make a play. The board battle and puck support wasn't as good as it should be. The Cs have to do a better job. Pinto stood out to me in a good way in the dzone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad