GDT: GAME 1 | PANTHERS VS SENATORS | THE ULLMARK ERA BEGINS | Thu Oct 10, 2024, 7PM

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fantastic win against the best forecheck in the league.
Florida is a wagon. We looked a hell of a lot better against Florida than perennial playoff team Boston.

They are a top team in the league and had 110 pts last year, most people were going into this game expecting a loss,

The good news is they got the 2 pts, and can take away a lesson in how much harder those top teams play to be top teams. If we can take that knowledge to heart and dial it up that one extra notch, we'll be that much better off for it.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Fantastic games by Sanderson, Pinto and of course: Ullmark. They got the 2 points, prolonged the good energy that was created prior to the game and have beaten a very good opponent.

This being said, Ullmark is the sole reason the Senators got this victory, because defensively they've looked atrocious for large stretches of the game. Not just the bottom pairing, but the team collectively: players skating into each other, 3-5 players crowded together giving the opponent any space they needed, terrible clearing-attempts, poor break-out passes etc.

We would have lost this game 10 out of 10 times last season, which, all in all, can be seen as a net positive if you assume that these defensive shortfallings are due to a new coach, new systems and the season just having started.

Off to the next one.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Most of the third period looked like a power play for Florida.
Winning is what counts, especially when it's against the defending Stanley Cup champions. At the end of the season, it's not about the method, but the number of victories that matter. Hockey is about the wins, not the aesthetics; it's not a beauty contest. The important thing is the win, no matter how it's achieved.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, there were some areas of opportunity and some areas where we were actually pretty effective.

We couldn't handle Florida's forecheck after the 1st period. They close on us fast, and we took too long to move the puck resulting in a rushed pass under duress leading to DZ turnovers or just punting the puck to the NZ and resetting.

We also didn't win a lot of the 50/50 battles, probably in part because our shifts got long at times because of how effective their forecheck was.

Having said that, what we did do well was break up dangerous passes and get into the shooting lanes. It wasn't until the last 10 mins that we really started allowing some really high quality chances that Ullmark had to bail us out of. We blocked a lot of shots.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
So, there were some areas of opportunity and some areas where we were actually pretty effective.

We couldn't handle Florida's forecheck after the 1st period. They close on us fast, and we took too long to move the puck resulting in a rushed pass under duress leading to DZ turnovers or just punting the puck to the NZ and resetting.

We also didn't win a lot of the 50/50 battles, probably in part because our shifts got long at times because of how effective their forecheck was.

Having said that, what we did do well was break up dangerous passes and get into the shooting lanes. It wasn't until the last 10 mins that we really started allowing some really high quality chances that Ullmark had to bail us out of. We blocked a lot of shots.
It's interesting because the expected goals in all situations last night were 2.49 for FLA and 3.00 for OTT, so even though Florida had a lot of offensive zone time, they didn't generate many high-danger shots.

Reactions: PlayItAgain

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Bro the second half of the game was like an NHL team vs AHL team.

We had a great 1st period sure, but the rest of the way it was the definition of a goalie stealing it.
No, it wasn’t. Ullmark played well, but far from stole us the game. You’ve been used to watching Korpisalo, Forsberg and whoever the flavour of the week was for way too long.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
We had a great 1st period sure, but the rest of the way it was the definition of a goalie stealing it.
The goaltender's role is to stop the puck, and our goaltender fulfilled his duties with a strong performance. That's precisely the reason we acquired Ullmark. We secured a victory, so I'm puzzled as to why you're so unhappy?

Reactions: Toaster Stutzle

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
some of the commentary here is vintage HF Sens

For years we've been saying "if only we had goaltending"

So we get top notch goaltending and we hear "we only won the game because of goaltending"

welcome to your playoff years I say. We have goaltending that is going to allow us to not be the best team every night but still win games.

Was anyone else thinking at the first intermission "can they get 3 on Ullmark?"

Now, change Ullmark for any goalie we've had in the past 8 years and are you even asking yourself that question?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's probably been said many times but I'll put it from the perspective of someone who only ever catches the highlights. When you're watching highlights, you learn to read when there's going to be a goal. You can see the play building and it's obvious the team is going to score before they even take the shot. Or so it always was until we had Ullmark in net. Having not seen the whole game I can't comment on our play overall, but good lord did it feel good not having to feel that dread of "oh god this is going in".

Also - top of the division baby ;)

Reactions: Goat Boy
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Just got back from the game. Another awesome experience being at the home opener. However, saw around 1,000 empty seats around the rink. Inflation must be hitting hard. Still a great game.
1728649958983.jpeg

Reactions: Relapsing

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I posed that as a question. Do you notice the question mark at the end? Using a question mark denotes a suggestion, not a demand. You can feel how you feel, Cosmix can feel how they feel. Hell, I can feel how I feel. But sometimes people don't need to constantly hear negative shit all the time. How old are you exactly?
Some people will see this an evaluation of the game, while others (like yourself) will see this a “negative shit”. People will respond in different ways when you have such a wide audience and range of personalities, and many people espoused the same opinion as the poster you responded to.

Anyhow, back to the game. We played a strong 1st period and scored 2 goals, and then Florida got rolling with their aggressive forecheck in the 2nd and 3rd periods. We were unable to get of our zone for extended stretches, but Ullmark made the saves and held the fort until Stutzle scored the empty net goal after a Florida player broke his stick.

A win is a win though. I think some of our players can turn it up a notch though which should help.

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Jensen impressed me, he's exactly what this team needed on the back end. Hopefully this will finally be a win in the pro scouting column after many Ls.
I agree. I’ve been warming up to his game as we’ve progressed from the exhibition games to this first regular season game. He seems to play a steady, stable kind of game which will help his partner (Chabot) I think.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The Florida Panthers are a very hard team to play against with a relentless forecheck & that is the way Ott needs to play to move ahead.
One of the toughest forechecks I can remember seeing. Holy crap they're heavy on the D and then seal the walls. Exactly how we want to play.

We were quite lucky to win that game in regulation, they had softened our D up so much, if not for Ullmark...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
One of the toughest forechecks I can remember seeing. Holy crap they're heavy on the D and then seal the walls. Exactly how we want to play.

We were quite lucky to win that game in regulation, they had softened our D up so much, if not for Ullmark...
The Goalie is still part of the team & lots of good goalies have beaten us in the past & they are the defending Stanley Cup Champions. Ott hung in there, they didn't allow the tying goal & came away with the win which is after all the most important STAT of all.

Reactions: albator71

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The Goalie is still part of the team & lots of good goalies have beaten us in the past & they are the defending Stanley Cup Champions. Ott hung in there, they didn't allow the tying goal & came away with the win which is after all the most important STAT of all.
They hung in - barely, but they did. The win is massive. It'll be a better test of how things are going when we're not playing the best team in the league

Reactions: aragorn

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I find this thread interesting from a human nature perspective. I think everyone agrees a win is a win as god knows how many people have stated this in their post. Yet, people react differently to observations/evaluations about the game. Some people just see it as an evaluation/observation, while others react to those evaluations/observations snd seem to feel a need to defend. It's just human nature and people will respond differently, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: Loach

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The Good
Sanderson is so unbelievably good. Everything he does is so elite, it's almost comical.
Stutzle was the offensive straw that we need to stir the drink. Elite skillset and if he stays healthy he's going to have a monster season.
Pinto looked really good, a hound on the puck and a solid body.
I thought Kleven played his role well. We need that big, punishing body on the backend to separate guys from the puck.
I thought Norris looked very good, relative to missing an entire year and coming back from major surgery. He was in the play, looked strong on the puck, skating was very strong, involved in puck battles. 5/8 on draws.
Ullmark...yes to all of it.

The Not So Good
I'm not sure how I feel about that Amadio-Pinto-Perron line. I just don't really see it working.
I thought Gaudette was dreadful. Cousins was mostly a non-factor. Gregor showed some speed but didn't do much with it. Jensen looked tentative. Zub was...I don't know what was going through his brain. Hamonic, bless his heart lol. I need a lot more from Greig, Giroux and Batherson. It's not that they didn't produce, it's that they looked like passengers the whole night which is a no-go for this team's success.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They hung in - barely, but they did. The win is massive. It'll be a better test of how things are going when we're not playing the best team in the league
Well from not making the playoffs last yr to beating the defending Cup Champions is progress. As you indicated & I agree they need to adopt the Panthers style of forecheck & be more aggressive which is difficult for 82 games. I expect that at some point they hit a wall & will again need Ullmark to bail them out & the good news is that we finally have a goalie who can do just that.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Dude you suck.
Aragorn I suggest you used the ignore button and get rid of all those party poopers we have here that's what I did and it goes a long way at making your experience here more enjoyable. On the other hand I'm following you because I love your positive attitude.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well from not making the playoffs last yr to beating the defending Cup Champions is progress. As you indicated & I agree they need to adopt the Panthers style of forecheck & be more aggressive which is difficult for 82 games. I expect that at some point they hit a wall & will again need Ullmark to bail them out & the good news is that we finally have a goalie who can do just that.
We have a couple of good tests coming up. I look forward to see how both montreal and ottawa plays, then definitely interested in how we look vs LA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad