GDT: Game 1: Avs @ Rangers - Thursday, October 5th, 5pm MT - We Get Hockey Again!

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Bigras was very high event hockey. He was out there for 18 even strength shot attempts against (most on the team) despite playing the second least among defenseman. I did like his game though. Bednar mentioned him as someone he liked too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mironov isn't a future Norris winner, he's no more than a bottom pairing guy and if he doesn't want to go to the AHL to learn the NA game then he can go back to Russia for all I care.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I liked what I saw from Yakupov tonight. He's the easiest guy to root for, and I hope he has a great season with us.

I'm willing to give Andrighetto multiple opportunities on that top line to get things going. It's the first game. He made a couple of nice plays/reads, too. After how strong he finished last season, he has earned his shot on that line and shouldn't be demoted too soon.

Liked what I saw from Bigras. Hated what I saw from Mironov. Thought Barberio was really poor, too. Way too many turnovers and the guy just can't be on the PK. Either he or Minorov needs to sit and I'd rather it be Mironov.

I enjoyed the very good games from EJ and Barrie but my god, if this is how the season is going to go then EJ is going to be hurt by game 30 and Barrie is going to run out of gas by the all star break. They can't both consistently play 26+ minutes per night, especially EJ playing very hard PK minutes seemingly by himself. Zadorov needs to be able to eat some minutes and a guy like Bigras needs to be trusted a lot more. Hopefully with time that will come for both.

It's clear to me that Bednar views the MacKinnon line as line 1, Compher line as line 2, and Duchene line as line 3. I don't mind. Give the Compher line the tougher defensive matchups and the Duchene line the easier offensive starts against third pairings. One thing I do want to see, though, is the 2nd unit PP get used a bit more. That Yakupov rocket is going to generate a lot of goals/second chance opportunities for us this season if utilized properly.

Varly was god mode tonight.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Also hate to be that guy but if Varly and EJ are injured like last year, we lose 5-2 like last year. This wasn't a good game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm not saying he didn't have his moments which he did, just overall I felt uncomfortable with him on the ice.

You felt uncomfortable because you knew Mironov was out there with him. Bigras was good tonight. Hit the post had an apple and made nice passes out the zone.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You felt uncomfortable because you knew Mironov was out there with him.

:laugh:
Bigras is our only guy who can eventually, maybe, handle 1st pairing duty on the left side IMO. I don't see Z ever getting there.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
:laugh:
Bigras is our only guy who can eventually, maybe, handle 1st pairing duty on the left side IMO. I don't see Z ever getting there.
Not to say Bigras can't get there, but at least we've seen Z have a very successful run playing against the other teams top lines, even if it was only 20 or so games. The Avs were controlling the majority of play with Z on the ice in that time. Bigras has still not shown that at the NHL level, and has generally gotten caved in with his NHL time. Hopefully that changes this year. And even with the youth movement on d this year, Z is still the youngest guy back there.

Reactions: Avs71

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Also hate to be that guy but if Varly and EJ are injured like last year, we lose 5-2 like last year. This wasn't a good game.
But it wasn't last year, and they aren't injured, and we won. Can't we just enjoy a win by our hockey team without you what-iffing everything to death? No, it wasn't perfect, it was messy and there were lowlights to go with the highlights, but I'm sick to death of people always finding a way to make the glass half-empty. Two points is always a half-full night.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Playing with EJ is a tough assignment, Z is the one who has worked with him the best. Bigras and Barrie should be a thing if they can over the idea that Barrie needs a defensive D with him.
Bigras is playing a better mental game than Z, his biggest issues were always physical and a lack of confidence IMO. It leads me to believe that he will get better and confident when given more ice time.

Z is the opposite: the more ice time you give him, the more he tends to make wrong decisions. I think he can excel on a 2nd pairing with limited minutes.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Andrighetto got bossed around because the Rangers play a tight physical game and have a bunch of big players, he is the opposite. The average team is more open than them, I'm sure he'll be fine, not 'should be in the top-six' fine but he'll be Avalanche-standard fine against most teams.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
But it wasn't last year, and they aren't injured, and we won.
I don't want them to play a shitty game and win, we've been there already and we've seen where it lead. I want them to play a good game. You and I don't care for the same things. It's fine.

Very happy for Yak, Bigras and Kerfoot though.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Bigras is playing a better mental game than Z, his biggest issues were always physical and a lack of confidence IMO. It leads me to believe that he will get better and confident when given more ice time.

Z is the opposite: the more ice time you give him, the more he tends to make wrong decisions. I think he can excel on a 2nd pairing with limited minutes.
I think the opposite with Z completely. The more he's out there and in the game, the more focused he is.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't want them to play a ****ty game and win, we've been there already and we've seen where it lead. I want them to play a good game. You and I don't care for the same things. It's fine.
I guess I just enjoy being happy. To each their own.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Zadorov coming back in should be a no-brainer for the coaching staff.

They probably won't change much else after a win but I really didn't like that 4th line. They like Nieto's speed and one bad game shouldn't get him benched but he was probably the worst forward tonight.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't think you could be more wrong regarding Zadorov. We've seen in the past that the more minutes he plays and eats up, the better he looks.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My thoughts...

- It was a very entertaining game, it's not like Avs were the only team out there making brutal defencive plays. We beat a perennial playoff team and won with the amount of playoff experience. I would consider that a solid win.

- First off, I am not trying to defend him, but I suggest it is highly unfair to criticize Mironov. It was his first actual NHL game where he has to get adjusted to the timing on the smaller ice. Was he bad, yes, but I thought he got better as the game went along. This, for me, is much different than Barberio who was running around with his head cut off the whole night (definitely was the worst player on the ice for us). Mironov needs to play, Zadorov needs to come in for Barberio against Devils.

- I would like to say is that the constant ****ing defencive musical chairs needs to ****ing stop. I saw every single defender play with every other defender in that first period. Why are these guys going so crazy about ice time when Barrie and Barberio is out there and Rangers almost score on every freakin' shift after a PK? Play your best defenders, the most minutes. I don't care if Barberio needs to play 3 minutes a game due to all the PK. Avs just have a much better chance to win when Erik Johnson is playing, it's a matter of fact.

- Barrie was awesome today, it was so vintage. I don't care if he scores or doesn't, I just want him to be worth it due to his poor defencive coverage/game. That ability where his pros will surpass his cons is similar to Karlsson in just give him the puck and go into IDGAF mode and create plays. Bednar's leash for him should be infinite.

- What to say about Varlamov baby? Avs will likely need him to play similarly like that to keep the momentum on their side for any chance of a decent season (playoffs or non-playoffs).

- Bigras like Barrie was simply exquisite today. A lot like Tyson, he does have cons to his game like his lack of physical toughness, but I suggest all he needs to do is have his pro's outweigh his cons and we should all be happy. I quite enjoyed his puck moving ability and his jumping into the plays at the right time, but he NEEDS to get stronger to overcome the next step in his development.

- Nemeth was very solid and someone you want to stay healthy as he provides the Avs a very consistent and simple game type of option. As someone said in the past, he is honestly an NHL version of Siemens or he is what Duncan should have been.

- Andrighetto was bad, but got better as the game went along. EJ is a consistent minute-eater, but his constant "wanting to block shots" mentality is going to drive me crazy. Due to him having a chance of getting injured and just simply screening the goalers.

- Avs forwards tonight were particularly HORRIBLE when it came to clearing the puck on the PK. I get that MacKinnon does more good than bad, but surprised how much of a pass he gets by you lot here considering his disastrous clear for the Rangers first goal. Not only that, but I believe it was Jost or Neito who completely failed on the clear for the Rangers second goal. Every team is going to get a lot of penalties called due to the new rules (which I believe is to increase goal scoring), Avs have got to be stronger on the puck in these situations.

- Duchene, Compher, Rantanen and Kerfoot were all solid.

- MacKinnon scared a lot of the defenders in that game with his speed game, which is why I am wondering why Flames played such an aggressive game against McDavid yesterday..

- I like Wilson, but I don't know if I like him on that line. I mean I want Jost as a permanent centre and I want him to get his feet wet, but he showed much more mobility than Colin in that game. It's a good problem to have, but we need that line to contribute offencively for us as well.

- I still want Dahlin, but I will appreciate when the team plays with passion like they did tonight, whether if it is a win or a lost.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The plays by Bigras and Kerfoot to set this up were great......

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Saw some sparks of brilliance, which is more than I can say about pretty much all of last year. Never did a witness a less dynamic team than the '16-17 Avs.

Dislikes: Nieto, Mironov

Loved the fact that the Avs finally have a legit CHECKING line and they were actually pretty good. Hope to see more offense of course but they were good defensively IMO, which is what this team desperately needs.

However, I couldn't stand the garbage passive box defense they were employing. What the hell!? If they wanted to continue using that garbage system why get rid of Farrish? I thought Bednar and Pratt were all about a more aggressive system. Was I wrong? If nothing else, you should be telling a guy like Mironov to go charging into the corner instead of trying to do his best Nate Guenin impression and acting like he's bungee-corded to the post.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I did see Borgman in his first North American game for the Leafs yesterday and I believe he had a lesser profile last year than Mironov too and he looked great. There's something to be said for coming into an organized defence versus coming into the Blendnar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad