GDT: Game 1 - Avs @ Knights - Rockstar Rookie Revue - 8PM

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
For the Avs to not make the playoffs it would take something like MacK and Makar having season ending injuries... that shouldn't be the worry for this team. The worry is what can they really do in the playoffs?

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
For the Avs to not make the playoffs it would take something like MacK and Makar having season ending injuries... that shouldn't be the worry for this team. The worry is what can they really do in the playoffs?
This team will be 2nd round best with the current goaltending. I do not think the high end talent of the roster is enough to make another cup run.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Might not make the playoffs if that's the case
The Avs will make the playoffs. Gonna get Lehky, Val and probably Landy back. Probably won’t win the division because by the time all those guys come back, we might be well behind and playing catch up, but we should finish 3rd or maybe 2nd in the division. Georgiev has shown he can improve after playing badly like he did after game 1 vs Jets.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I would have put Landy on LTIR and utilized that cap space to try and find a 2nd line F option, as I truly don’t think he’s coming back, and if he does, after two years off and a serious injury, I can’t imagine he’ll be a true impact player. I hope he is as he’s awesome and a great guy, but it seems like a long shot. I’m not sure anything can be done about Nuke, I agree with that. I’d have tried hard to bring a guy like Pacioretty in for this season on a PTO or 1 year deal. Can still play top 9 minutes and if he stays healthy, should be a 15 goal guy or so. Even Phil Kessel would be a decent guy to fill a role.
Again it doesn’t matter… Landy wants to come back and is planning to come back. You can’t just LTIR him if he’s actively trying to come back. So your options are a buyout or trading him.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Can’t LTIR Landy again because he’s gonna come back sometime this season. As it is, when he comes back along with Val, Avs have to do something to be cap compliant. Right now they don’t have enough cap space to get Val and Landy back. Not sure how they gonna work that out

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
This team will be 2nd round best with the current goaltending. I do not think the high end talent of the roster is enough to make another cup run.
I don't think goaltending is as big of an issue as having 18M cap hit worth of players not playing.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Can’t LTIR Landy again because he’s gonna come back sometime this season. As it is, when he comes back along with Val, Avs have to do something to be cap compliant. Right now they don’t have enough cap space to get Val and Landy back. Not sure how they gonna work that out
I’d assume they’ll get nearly a million in cap space by sending Ritchie down. Maybe waive someone like Kelly as well.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Should have kept Kuemper
Kuemper is an average goalie and not much better than Georgiev. We just had a hell of a deep team when we won the cup with him. We would have won it with Georgiev that year

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Kuemper is an average goalie and not much better than Georgiev. We just had a hell of a deep team when we won the cup with him. We would have won it with Georgiev that year
I’m not so sure about that. Kuemper showed up big vs heavy hitters (VGK and Canes, etc) Georgiev would have most definitely choked away games starting with the Blues, oilers, and most definitely Tampa

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I’m not so sure about that. Kuemper showed up big vs heavy hitters (VGK and Canes, etc) Georgiev would have most definitely choked away games starting with the Blues, oilers, and most definitely Tampa
Agreed, Kuemper is better, or at the very least was better.

One could argue Georgiev has a higher ceiling, the problem is that Georgiev’s lows are LOW. When he loses confidence it’s a catastrophic implosion. You could see him flailing at even the most routine of shots after the first period.

Either way, I don’t begrudge the Avs not paying Kuemper after 2022, but overall I’ve always hated how little they’ve prioritized goaltending. They’ve never bothered to actually develop one, and don’t give a flying f*** about organizational depth at the position (see: Miska, Hunter).

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

And I think that boils down to the current players out of the lineup and the type of goaltending we receive. The former likely largely impacting the latter.

I’m sure it’s been pointed out, but the Avs are playing without their best 3 defensive forwards. If Landeskog and Nichuskin can come back and still be solid defensively, I think we see a large plus to the whole team.

I do still think we need to move on from both goalies, but who and for what are huge questions.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
That’s still on goaltending. Not defense. Teams can’t play perfect, that’s why the goalie is there. That’s why they call them SAVES.

I’m not expecting elite netminding or even franchise-level netminding but for f***s sake they can’t have THAT and even have a chance at winning.
I certainly won't disagree with that. The D shouldn't have to play like it's walking on eggshells.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad