GDT: Game 1 - Avs @ Knights - Rockstar Rookie Revue - 8PM

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Glad I called it a night when I did. This has to end with Georgiev. The guy clearly isn't it, even if he rebounds from the loss and strings together some good games.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Up front it was always going to be struggle to start. I'm not at all worried with how the team actually played. Top guys will improve, the 2nd line was plenty fine, and the bottom 6 was the expected disaster. The defense was actually quite good. If you tell a coach that every game you'll give 5 high danger chances and only 22 shots each and every game, they'll be guaranteeing a Cup.

Now they won't play that well the whole time, but they should play well enough. Alongside that, we also know the top line can do a lot of heavy lifting offensively to win games on the lower end of the league. They don't need to win the division (though Bednar will try his damndest), but simply play decent enough hockey to win the majority of games. They do that and they are easily in the playoffs.

What they do while in the playoffs is up for much more debate and reliant on a lot of things going right.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In way over his head. On Macfarland for not filling the holes up front. You can’t win in this league with a 1 good (albeit very good) top line and a 2C, and then a bunch of guys.

I mean, are you just conveniently ignoring that fact that one top six forward is recovering from shoulder surgery, another has missed the last two years because of a literal knee transplant, and the other is suspended for a year because of a nose candy issue?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I mean, are you just conveniently ignoring that fact that one top six forward is recovering from shoulder surgery, another has missed the last two years because of a literal knee transplant, and the other is suspended for a year because of a nose candy issue?
Exactly. What are the options here?
1) You trade players out to get the replacements. Let's say you flip about Girard for a second line winger. I can 100 % guarantee to you someone is crying after that it is stupid that defense is so thin.
2) You trade picks out to get the replacements. We already have people whining how thin the talent pool is and the creme de la creme is NHL leader in +/- minuses. You get a five million cap hit UFA rental forward and you are nothing short of screwed once you try to insert these injured players to the roster
3) You sign UFA players. List me the ones you feel are good enough.
4) You tell Sakic to tie up the laces and get to play there.

What else do you see as options?

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought it was Mittelstadt.
I liked Mitts a lot too, Bednar was quick to praise him in his presser.

About the only guys I wasn't thrilled with (apart from the goddamn goalies) were MacKinnon on those two horrid, lazy defensive lapses that both led to goals against in the closing 90 seconds of the first, some bad decision making by Sammy at both ends of the ice (and come on, man, don't get shown up by THAT guy of all guys), Toews' inexcusably bad coverage on the odd-man rush, and both Colton and Wood. Neither of those guys were doing much in the way or winning puck battles or controlling the play. As usual, LOC was doing a LOT of the heavy lifting at both ends of the ice for that line.

Guys who stood out in good ways IMO were Rants (of course), Mitts, Manson, O'Connor, and Kiviranta. The rest were just kinda meh.

The two rookies didn't bother me that much and even though their underlying stats were bad, the bottom pairing had some good moments.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I liked Mitts a lot too, Bednar was quick to praise him in his presser.

About the only guys I wasn't thrilled with (apart from the goddamn goalies) were MacKinnon on those two horrid, lazy defensive lapses that both led to goals against in the closing 90 seconds of the first, some bad decision making by Sammy at both ends of the ice (and come on, man, don't get shown up by THAT guy of all guys), Toews' inexcusably bad coverage on the odd-man rush, and both Colton and Wood. Neither of those guys were doing much in the way or winning puck battles or controlling the play. As usual, LOC was doing a LOT of the heavy lifting at both ends of the ice for that line.

Guys who stood out in good ways IMO were Rants (of course), Mitts, Manson, O'Connor, and Kiviranta. The rest were just kinda meh.

The two rookies didn't bother me that much and even though their underlying stats were bad, the bottom pairing had some good moments.
I would list Makar in the "did bad" section. If you pay a guy nine million per season, you better get a player who can lift the puck out of your defensive zone on PK, when there's no-one around you. Not with any "I guess every now and then" or "I guess he tried to". Without excuses, every single time.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would list Makar in the "did bad" section. If you pay a guy nine million per season, you better get a player who can lift the puck out of your defensive zone on PK, when there's no-one around you. Not with any "I guess every now and then" or "I guess he tried to". Without excuses, every single time.
Eh, he whiffed badly but at the same time I hate that a mistake, even one that bad, led to a goal against. And even that was a terrible goal to give up.

I've screamed bloody murder about how much I despise Bednar's penalty kill. Couple that with shitty goaltending and you have a PK that could very well end up last in the NHL.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If we could just get two clones of LOC, we could save so much money on our 3rd line and also probably have the best 3rd line in the league lol.
Speaking of LOC, how did he look? A lot of questions with his deal because of his injury. Did he look like his old self? If he did, amazing.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
More on the defensive side than anything. They lacked there last night. Alongside that, I include Toews and Makar there as outside of the PP, that pairing lacked quite a bit.
That was the case for Makar most of the entire last season. Very lackluster aside from the PP and shifts where MacK really took over in the offensive zone.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Speaking of LOC, how did he look? A lot of questions with his deal because of his injury. Did he look like his old self? If he did, amazing.

Yeah, I thought he looked fine. he was most certainly the best guy on the Roaring 20s but I didn't think the other two looked that good, so that's not a great compliment. Played capably in all three zones and won a lot of puck battles near as I could tell, didn't look like he had lost any speed either.

Reactions: LOFIN

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
I also don't think I could stomach that...
Moot point. We have an unlikeable, useless gimp in net as it is, we're not replacing him with someone who is only occasionally better, just as inconsistent or at least as prone to mood swings,, is paid twice as much and has a track record of inciting race hate against Avalanche players.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Yeah, I detest the guy but he will not actively cost the Avs games in ways Georgiev does.

Just hold up. That's all the Avs ask of their goaltenders. Do not give up awful goals, stop what you are supposed to and make the occasional big save. No need to steal games most nights - the Avs play will dictate that usually.

How is this on Macfarland? He is missing three top-six forwards.

Like I said in the other thread, take Hyman, RNH and Skinner away from Edmonton and all of a sudden you have Janmark and Perry on line 2.

He was handcuffed. It happens. We have to survive.
I just think counting Landeskog at this point isn’t fair, he’s been out for two years now and who knows when or if he’ll actually return, and what can be expected of him when he does? At this point he should be treated as not coming back and a huge bonus if he does, I blame McFarland for not replacing him. You’re right on Nuke and Leky, can’t blame him for that. But he knew all off season they’d be out for at least a month. A lot of good players went to camps on PTO’s, and he brings in Bellemare… now relying on a 19 year old rookie who’s clearly not NHL ready to fill a top 6 role. But I’m probably being too hard on him.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
So Makar has peaked then. Got it. Maybe it’s time for the tired old medical excuse when he’s sucked for awhile now

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
What a take…
What’s wrong with it? He’s had two years to find a replacement for Landy. Do you truly think Landy is coming back at this point, despite 0 timetable? And if he does, can we expect much from him after being off so long? I agree his hands were tied with Nuke and Leky, but he also did have all off season knowing they wouldn’t be ready for at least a month. Like I said earlier, there were quite a few solid players attending camps on PTO’s, yet he brings in Bellemare.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I blame him for not finding a replacement for Landy in the two seasons he’s been out. I don’t blame him for the other two as shit happens, but he’s also had all off season knowing they’d miss at least a month. Plenty of useful and NHL capable forwards attending camps
On PTO’s.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That was the case for Makar most of the entire last season. Very lackluster aside from the PP and shifts where MacK really took over in the offensive zone.
This discussion started last night, but I think it is perfectly plausible that Toews a few years ago had the capability to cover for a few of Makar's shortcomings to the point where we didn't know they existed. Now that Toews is starting to regress, those shortcomings are becoming evident. This could very easily be the case, and wouldn't be unheard of. It is probably early to exclaim that it is, but evidence is mounting. Another season of it would convince me.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What’s wrong with it? He’s had two years to find a replacement for Landy. Do you truly think Landy is coming back at this point, despite 0 timetable? And if he does, can we expect much from him after being off so long? I agree his hands were tied with Nuke and Leky, but he also did have all off season knowing they wouldn’t be ready for at least a month. Like I said earlier, there were quite a few solid players attending camps on PTO’s, yet he brings in Bellemare.
What are they supposed to do, trade him? No one is taking that contract.

You don't seem to understand how the cap works. The Avs had to account for those players returning this year. If they were guaranteed to pull a Mark Stone and stay out until the playoffs, then MacFarland could have used up the LTIR space on a more long-term solution. But that wasn't available, so he went out and snatched up as many cheap options as he could.

What "solid" players were on PTOs? I can't really think of anyone who would've been a clear upgrade over what the Avs have right now.

I blame him for not finding a replacement for Landy in the two seasons he’s been out. I don’t blame him for the other two as shit happens, but he’s also had all off season knowing they’d miss at least a month. Plenty of useful and NHL capable forwards attending camps
On PTO’s.
Please list these players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad