GDT: Game 1 - Avs @ Knights - Rockstar Rookie Revue - 8PM

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought aside from Rantanen's 3 goals, Kovalenko was the best Avs forward last night and he seems to work well with Mittelstadt - though he's going to have to learn how to finish the chances Mitts gives him otherwise he's going to find himself playing in the bottom six very quickly.

The Avs didn't play amazing by any stretch - goals 2 and 3 are evidence of that - but they definitely shouldn't have lost or even given up more than 3 goals.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I thought Kovy played well. There are concerns that could be pointed out, but his first regular season game... let it play out. If he plays at this level and effort, he'll be fine even if it ends up in a lower role.

Ivan had 2 really good shifts where he flashed his board work, IQ, and tenacity. Then the rest of the game he was really meh.

Ritchie had 3 plays where I think he flashed his skill and ability, that was followed up with being lost and completely unaware of the lack of space and time. He had a couple blueline turnovers that are plays that have zero business in the NHL. It is probably why he got sat down for a bit. He also has zero idea how to defend the point... he kept falling off his guy leaving them open for passes or letting them pinch without any pressure. There were two moments where that line got pinned as a direct result of his guy having zero pressure.

It is one game for all of them, good or bad there will be more needed from them with how thin this team is right now... but we have to take what we can get currently.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm not going to jump on the sky is falling train until quite yet. Georgie was very good in the playoffs after that garbage game 1 against the Jets. It's all between the ears with him. If he carries on like this for the next little bit (5-6 games), then you officially hand the starting gig to Annunen and start scouting like crazy around the league to upgrade the position at the trade deadline.

Reactions: RECKLESS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not going to jump on the sky is falling train until quite yet. Georgie was very good in the playoffs after that garbage game 1 against the Jets. It's all between the ears with him. If he carries on like this for the next little bit (5-6 games), then you officially hand the starting gig to Annunen and start scouting like crazy around the league to upgrade the position at the trade deadline.
It is a myth he was good in the playoffs. He was good rebounding in the Jets series. He was bad in the Stars series outside one game. Arguably the worst goalie in the 2nd round. He wasn’t the reason they lost, but was a clear contributing factor.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Seattle offered Grubs @ 50% for George... do you take the gamble?
Easily yes.

Grubauer was way better for the Avs than Georgiev, and at 50% retained you're looking at a $2.95m caphit which also nets you $450k in extra capspace.

Grubauer as starter for 3 years would be a risk, but it would be equally if not more risky to go with any other starting goalie alternative costing less than $3m aav.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Georgiev wasn't good in the playoffs. He was barely average after game 1 against the Jets.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad