GDT: GAME 09 - Monday, October 28th, 2024 - Winnipeg Jets vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - 6:30pm CDT - Amazon Prime - CJOB/Power 97

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
RKAN-00.jpg

RKAN-01.jpg

RKAN-02.jpg

RKAN-03.jpg

RKAN-04.jpg

RKAN-05.jpg

RKAN-06.jpg

RKAN-07.jpg

RKAN-08.jpg

RKAN-09.jpg

RKAN-10.jpg

RKAN-11.jpg

RKAN-12.jpg

RKAN-13.jpg

RKAN-14.jpg

RKAN-15.jpg

RKAN-16.jpg

RKAN-17.jpg

RKAN-18.jpg

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I will never understand how young people born outside of Ontario can be Leaf fans. What's the attraction doesn't losing in the first round of the playoffs get tiring. Sure they have won many Stanley Cups but that was before most of them were born in a six team league. Whatever happens it's 1 game out of 82.
Generational brainwashing. Same with Habs fans

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The last post game thread seems locked earlier than normal???

Anyways that last game was one of the rare times that I got to watch with my friends.
The wife and the boy were out for most of the evening.
Now it's worth noting that our record watching (the 4 of us together) has been abysmal.
Likely 1 - 5 or something like that.
We were due for a loss.
The deck was stacked against us.
Comrie was starting.
It all lined up to be a miserable event... but it wasn't!!!!!

On to the next and &U#$ YOU! to the NHL & Prime.
What BS.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am watching about 30% of the Jets TV content this season which is similar to last year. Even though I have prime and neither of my kids have sports tonight I doubt I will watch this game. For some reason I only like watching a full game live now, the TV broadcasts that last almost 3 hours have lost me. I might be able to do one period in real time then I just catch up on the highlight packages. Same for Football I am good for about 1 quarter now it its on TV.

The only way I watch an entire game is on PVR after it’s over fast forwarding through adds, intermissions, and between whistles. Obviously that compresses the games to about 45 to 60 minutes.

Not sure why it happened? I use to like watching sports on TV from start to finish in real time. I am hoping this is just a phase but its been two years plus :laugh:

That beings said GJG.

Last edited:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I really don't know what the big deal is about winning or losing to the Leafs?
I could see it if they were Stanley Cup champs or in the Central or even in the Western Conference it's only 2 points.
I guess 5 straight losses to the Leafs will do that to some.

Reactions: macmaroon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I really don't know what the big deal is about winning or losing to the Leafs?
I could see it if they were Stanley Cup champs or in the Central or even in the Western Conference it's only 2 points.
I guess 5 straight losses to the Leafs will do that to some.

As a transplant to Winnipeg 31 years ago I have never understood it either but the best I can tell if TSN and Sportsnet were our Mom and Dad they definitely had a favorite child and it’s not us.

I saw a pretty funny post from an Old Leaf fan and he was saying (in a refreshingly self deprecating tone) Leaf nation is made up of old Alcoholics who self medicate to deal with the depression from a half century of shattered dreams, and young, cocky, rich fans that travel everywhere to watch games in their merch.

Honestly in Canada with HNIC there were few options which is why the Leafs and Habs are such iconic brands burnt into the minds of older people who past their love to their kids, and their kids………..like a disease of some sort :laugh:

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
As a transplant to Winnipeg 31 years ago I have never understood it either but the best I can tell if TSN and Sportsnet were our Mom and Dad they definitely had a favorite child and it’s not us.

I saw a pretty funny post from an Old Leaf fan and he was saying (in a refreshingly self deprecating tone) Leaf nation is made up of old Alcoholics who self medicate to deal with the depression from a half century of shattered dreams, and young, cocky, rich fans that travel everywhere to watch games in their merch.

Honestly in Canada with HNIC there were few options which is why the Leafs and Habs are such iconic brands burnt into the minds of older people who past their love to their kids, and their kids………..like a disease of some sort :laugh:
Pretty standard complex of things: one part inferiority complex; one part superiority complex. Neither are entirely justified. It's the basic Winnipeggers can bash Winnipeg but nobody else can, least of all the Big Smoke (is that an allusion to the pollution? Yum.).

My dad was a Leafs fan and I recall watching many players I enjoyed on that team (Darryl Sittler being a prime example). But it just never jived for me. In those days, as a Canadian you were really either a Leafs fan or a Habs fan, depending on your tolerance for Francophones. So the prevalence of Leafs fans is to be expected amongst the elder generation (boomers and older) but aside from the familial link you suggest, it's baffling for anyone younger as they've not accomplished much of anything since the league expanded. Sure, you can say the same thing about Winnipeg and it's completely fair. On the other hand we didn't have a team prior to the 1980s and lost the Jets for a not-insubstantial period of time (96-11), yet we still have the same number of cups since 1968 onwards.

The insufferable pandering to Toronto from national broadcasters isn't the fault of Toronto fans, but it certainly doesn't help. Same thing every year with the delusion they'll win the cup. Even with an 8-0 start you'd be hard pressed finding a Jets fan that thinks they'll win the cup, let alone start planning parades.

I'll not be watching the game. Not interested in Amazon Prime. We had it once and didn't see the value. Not really seeing much value in any of the streaming services of late. I've missed a few more games this year due to work. One more (well, four more) won't hurt me that bad.

GJG. Nice hedgehog in the initial post.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am watching about 30% of the Jets TV content this season which is similar to last year. Even though I have prime and neither of my kids have sports tonight I doubt I will watch this game. For some reason I only like watching a full game live now, the TV broadcasts that last almost 3 hours have lost me. I might be able to do one period in real time then I just catch up on the highlight packages. Same for Football I am good for about 1 quarter now it its on TV.

The only way I watch an entire game is on PVR after it’s over fast forwarding through adds, intermissions, and between whistles. Obviously that compresses the games to about 45 to 60 minutes.

Not sure why it happened? I use to like watching sports on TV from start to finish in real time. I am hoping this is just a phase but its been two years plus :laugh:

That beings said GJG.

If I'm busy and I have been lately I also generally PVR the thing and fast forward. Maybe one of the things the streaming services did was made me far less tolerant of commercials lol.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
I will never understand how young people born outside of Ontario can be Leaf fans. What's the attraction doesn't losing in the first round of the playoffs get tiring. Sure they have won many Stanley Cups but that was before most of them were born in a six team league. Whatever happens it's 1 game out of 82.
A lot of it is due to availability on TV. During Jets 1.0 there were hardly any Jets games on TV, but Toronto played every Saturday night on CBC. When Jets were gone, same thing, Toronto could be found every Saturday night on CBC/HNIC. Teams that get National coverage will always have a large fan base Nationally, its as simple as that.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
The biggest problem with the Leafs is actually not their fault, it's SN and TSN cramming how great they are down the rest of Canada's throat during the offseason and leading up to it. They do this with the Blue Jays and Raptors and it's all about keeping eye balls especially in Southern Ontario glued.
Nope I disagree, it is there fault. Corporate greed, that is all what the Leafs ultimately are.

Reactions: John Agar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad