Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
That’s certainly true, but I don’t think that’s the reason. Russo and Smith’s article (Caleb Addison Dilemma) pretty much says that Addison is not engaged in trying to earn his way back into the lineup. Evason told him to learn from Spurgeon awhile ago and then that’s followed up with a Spurgeon quote in the article that Addison never asks him any questions. The article also states that it’s one thing to watch Spurgeon play and another thing to not use the “goldmine of resource” for learning to play as a smaller dman.

The dynamic here just feels really odd.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That’s certainly true, but I don’t think that’s the reason. Russo and Smith’s article (Caleb Addison Dilemma) pretty much says that Addison is not engaged in trying to earn his way back into the lineup. Evason told him to learn from Spurgeon awhile ago and then that’s followed up with a Spurgeon quote in the article that Addison never asks him any questions. The article also states that it’s one thing to watch Spurgeon play and another thing to not use the “goldmine of resource” for learning to play as a smaller dman.

The dynamic here just feels really odd.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dean/Guerin running Fiala, then Addison out of town in successive years while we struggle to score and keep offensive non entities like Dumba, Greenway, Foligno, Merrill, etc. would be ridiculous.

I like good defenders, but some of the guys mentioned are mediocre in that regard, also, as well as being offensive black holes.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Lmao. I’ve got nothing then. I haven’t hated Goligoski’s play, but it’s almost the exact same thing you get from Addison. Maybe Goligoski can withstand more physical activity than Addison, but Addison is quicker and I don’t think he makes terrible decisions with the puck. I do wish he would be more willing to pinch. But how is he supposed to justify pinching on anything less than 100% chance when Evason has a stick up his ass about his defensive play?

Lot of mixed signals.

Reactions: MNRube and TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Showcasing Goligoski before TDL is the only explanation that makes sense, so I choose to believe it.
I don't have a single bit of concrete evidence to back this up but I am 110% sure this is what's happening. Addison isn't getting traded at the deadline, so no harm in keeping him out.

Reactions: 57special

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Addison a 4th straight scratch…

Meh, helps keep his next contract lower and it's a lateral lineup move between him and Goli.

This seems like a move that has the GM's hand over it. Showcase the guy you want gone (Goli might/does want out too) before the TDL. Sit the young guy that's due a new contract and racking up PP points. The PP doesn't take much of a hit so it's even more ammo to use to keep the contract lower. It's more of a baseball GM move, but it does fit with the Rossi in the AHL to not burn a slide narrative.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
My only question is why Merrill continues to get passes, every single game he is either the worst or second worst defenseman on the ice for us by play, Goligoski at least has some pretty good nights, and his worst nights tend to just be a Merrill average game.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My only question is why Merrill continues to get passes, every single game he is either the worst or second worst defenseman on the ice for us by play, Goligoski at least has some pretty good nights, and his worst nights tend to just be a Merrill average game.

Because Merrill plays a more defensive/physical style game and Dean thinks he covers for Addison/Goligoski better than they would cover for each other.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Because they gave Kuikov away?

It's probably for the PK. Addison belongs nowhere near it and I don't like Goli there either. If one of Brodin, Dumba, Middleton, or Spurgeon is in the box it forces one of the 3rd pair into a PK situation.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I haven’t hated Goligoski’s play, but it’s almost the exact same thing you get from Addison.
Yeah, at the last couple games when I was there the past week, some of my ticket neighbors were complaining about the Addison/Goligoski swap... and I said, it's a zero sum game currently overall, except Goligoski has no future in the league, Addison might.

Right now though? They might as well be the exact same player.

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think it’s possible they are seeing how Goligoski fares against playoff teams in the event we need him. I don’t think he has much trade value so don’t see that angle

Also feels possible Addison is being preserved for a trade. He’s not a great fit in a Top 4 that has Brodin & Spurgeon as smaller D and he’s going to want to get paid for all those PP points. We also have Faber, Lambos, Peart, Masters, O’Rourke, Hunt and others coming who can play on an ELC.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Evason rolling with Merrill the entire playoffs last year was nearly as bad Fleury getting 5/6 games.

No clue why he’s immune to the pressbox.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Can I hope for a Fiala hat trick along with a .900+ save % from Gus? I'd love them both.

Edit: And a Wild win. So I'd like all three, please

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I think it’s possible they are seeing how Goligoski fares against playoff teams in the event we need him. I don’t think he has much trade value so don’t see that angle

Also feels possible Addison is being preserved for a trade. He’s not a great fit in a Top 4 that has Brodin & Spurgeon as smaller D and he’s going to want to get paid for all those PP points. We also have Faber, Lambos, Peart, Masters, O’Rourke, Hunt and others coming who can play on an ELC.
I won't pretend to understand what Wild management are doing with Addison.

The more I think about it the more I think this Addison scratch situation is purely to try and shop Goligoski. Wild management knows exactly who and what Addison is. If they're legitimately upset by what he's bringing, we'll then, they're fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad