G Yaroslav Askarov (2020, 11th, NSH) - PART 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He's also a part of the reason why the team is so good.
I definitely disagree with that. His season has been very up and down. There's not enough consistency in his game. He should really start working on his positioning.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I see both arguments. I did watch him play and he does look scrambley still at times, but I think there is a degree to which he is always going to play with his athleticism and instinct vs the robotic positional tenders that are more common place. I still hope there is a way he can capture both, because that is the real potential in him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I see both arguments. I did watch him play and he does look scrambley still at times, but I think there is a degree to which he is always going to play with his athleticism and instinct vs the robotic positional tenders that are more common place. I still hope there is a way he can capture both, because that is the real potential in him.
I understand what you're trying to say and I know it's sometimes working for him but that's just not enough. Being mobile and athletic is no excuse for repeatedly losing your net, for poor positioning. Playing goalie in the NHL is difficult enough even with good positioning. He'll still get a lot of opportunities to show off his athleticism. There's no excuse not to work on positioning. He's gonna have to do it if he wants to become an NHL goalie. He's still young and he can get there but he has to put in the work. Did he realize it yet? I'm not sure. Hopefully, him losing his gig to friggen Grosenick during playoffs was the wakeup call he needed.

On the plus side, he still has time. Waiver exempt until 2026. I'm frustrated now but if there's improvement during next season then I'm gonna like his chances.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No shit! I’m sure he’s on the phone with his agent this minute trying to get out of there. No way he’s happy about this
Not exactly a shocker.

What do you think he expected after yet another inconsistent season where his positioning didn't improve one bit and he even temporarily lost his starter gig to friggen Grosenick during playoffs?

If he can't properly beat out Grosenick for an AHL starter gig then he'd be dellusional to think he's gonna get an NHL roster spot all while still waiver exempt. He was never gonna get that spot.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

JustYourRegularGuy

Jun 27, 2024
If Nashville signs Saros to a long-term extension as is rumoured there's no way they keep Askarov around.

Given his age, success at the AHL level, and his pedigree as a prospect I feel that many teams who don't have established starters, like Chicago, San Jose, Philadelphia, and more besides, will probably at least inquire about Nashville's ask for Askarov.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This is too much time for him in the AHL. He should be a backup in the NHL next season.

Time to consider switching teams
It's not. Won't be waiver eligible until 2026 so he has two more years in the AHL. Teams hardly ever hand a free goalie slot to waiver eligible goalies so I don't think a trade would change anything.

I've identified zero progress in his positioning though over last season so maybe a change of goalie coach would be a good idea. Askarov can't keep on losing his net. That's also part of what temporarily lost him his AHL starter gig.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If Nashville signs Saros to a long-term extension as is rumoured there's no way they keep Askarov around.

Given his age, success at the AHL level, and his pedigree as a prospect I feel that many teams who don't have established starters, like Chicago, San Jose, Philadelphia, and more besides, will probably at least inquire about Nashville's ask for Askarov.
Which success? His play was inconsistent all season long and if he wasn't the top goalie prospect of the Franchise then Troy Grosenick would have been Milwaukee's starter. The amount of trust (or lack thereof) coaches have in him was on display during playoffs. The reality is that Askarov keeps on giving up bad goals because his positioning is wild (to describe it nicely) and he keeps on losing his net. Success is something different than losing your AHL gig to Troy friggen Grosenick.

Askarov can play two more AHL seasons so a Saros extension is absolutely the way to go. If it's a longer term deal that should fit the Askarov timeline nicely.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
The Saros extension isn’t something I’d do personally if I were the GM and I would especially not send Askarov to the AHL to ride busses for another season.

Calgary did the right thing with Markstrom and Wolf. Nashville needs to do the same thing. They’d have gotten a pretty good return for Saros albeit smaller because they sat on him too long. I assume askarov must be on the market now.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The Saros extension isn’t something I’d do personally if I were the GM and I would especially not send Askarov to the AHL to ride busses for another season.

Calgary did the right thing with Markstrom and Wolf. Nashville needs to do the same thing. They’d have gotten a pretty good return for Saros albeit smaller because they sat on him too long. I assume askarov must be on the market now.
One team is going into a rebuild and off loading players, the other team isnt. These are not the same situations.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
One team is going into a rebuild and off loading players, the other team isnt. These are not the same situations.
They’re not far apart in talent, it’s just that one is more realistic. It’s insane to sit a blue chip prospect goalie and not even give him a chance to be a backup at least.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
They’re not far apart in talent, it’s just that one is more realistic. It’s insane to sit a blue chip prospect goalie and not even give him a chance to be a backup at least.
One team just had 97 points, the other 77.

If you don't agree with the direction the Preds are heading thats a completely different discussion. But theyre clearly trying to be competitive right now, and Askarov isnt going to help them with that today.

Reactions: Hinterland

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

He just turned 22. There aren't many goalies that young in the NHL. As impressive as he has been at times, there are still areas of his game in need of development. If he is still in this place a year from now then he should head elsewhere.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
One team just had 97 points, the other 77.

If you don't agree with the direction the Preds are heading thats a completely different discussion. But theyre clearly trying to be competitive right now, and Askarov isnt going to help them with that today.
I disagree but that’s another story. IMO, he’s earned the position of backup very clearly. If they’re not going to start him next season as backup, they need to trade him. He should not have to ride busses for peanuts in the AHL for another season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not exactly a shocker.

What do you think he expected after yet another inconsistent season where his positioning didn't improve one bit and he even temporarily lost his starter gig to friggen Grosenick during playoffs?

If he can't properly beat out Grosenick for an AHL starter gig then he'd be dellusional to think he's gonna get an NHL roster spot all while still waiver exempt. He was never gonna get that spot.
This. People continue to overrate Askarov's readiness. Don't get me wrong, he has made good progress, but... he still has a long way to go. Troy Grosenick was almost out of the game a year ago, both goalies benefited from playing on a strong Milwaukee squad. Putting up comparable numbers to Grosenick or getting benched for him in the playoffs is not a great sign from Askarov.

Askarov still has some crazy skills, and he's getting better at managing his glove and arms and upper body positioning. He legs are great. But he does continue to struggle with focus and positioning. I don't mind when he wanders so much... the zany bodychecks and flying pokechecks and all that are entertaining, and he doesn't get burned very often on those extreme cases. But just in terms of his regular tracking he loses his posts or his depth in the crease, and still has work to do on just making sure he's in the best position to stop the puck more often - then he won't have to rely on crazy leg movements or desperation saves to bail him out as much.

Nashville has hired back Mitch Korn, and I'm sure they are going to work even harder on honing Askarov's game in the coming season. Whether that's in Milwaukee or in Nashville is still a little up in the air. Askarov is not optimally ready for the NHL yet - however at this point in time, Nashville doesn't have another backup signed, so depending on how the rest of the UFA goalie carousel settles out, they could still decide to throw caution to the wind and bring Askarov up ahead of schedule. Askarov's raw skills and abundant confidence will probably allow him to survive in the NHL while they continue to work on refining his game, he's not likely to have his development hurt by it. Still, I would rather see him have another full year as a starter in Milwaukee first. The team won't likely be as strong as last season, so Askarov would have a bigger test there. If Kevin Lankinen can't find a multi-year deal in free agency, I think it would be wise for the Preds to bring Lankinen back for 1 more season as Saros' backup, and let Askarov have another year starting and working on his game in Milwaukee.

Then let's see where that goes before all this talk about him needing to call his agent or make any demands. Right now, he's just not an NHL-ready player, so all that talk is ridiculously premature. Let's see him make the NHL first, on merit, then we'll see past that if he becomes good enough to be a starter one day. People shouldn't act like that's a sure thing.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Except Saros is 29 and Markstrom 34.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad