G Sebastian Cossa - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2021, 15th, DET)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I love the total package this kid has. Huge frame but is very athletic and seems to be very smooth and calm in the crease. I hope the Devils some how trade up the Islanders 1st rounder to be able to snag him. I like his game more so that Wallstedt.

Cossa has nearly everything you want in a goalie: large frame, good mobility, smart positioning, very refined already, very rarely loses sight of the puck, knows how to approach each situation, etc. What he has over Wallstedt is that Cossa's ceiling is higher. Wallstedt has the higher floor but Cossa's mobility and agility give him that higher ceiling. It's pretty much the same story when it comes to Cossa vs Askarov. Askarov has the higher ceiling just because of the physical feats he can accomplish but Cossa has the higher floor because of where he already is and what he can do.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Cossa has nearly everything you want in a goalie: large frame, good mobility, smart positioning, very refined already, very rarely loses sight of the puck, knows how to approach each situation, etc. What he has over Wallstedt is that Cossa's ceiling is higher. Wallstedt has the higher floor but Cossa's mobility and agility give him that higher ceiling. It's pretty much the same story when it comes to Cossa vs Askarov. Askarov has the higher ceiling just because of the physical feats he can accomplish but Cossa has the higher floor because of where he already is and what he can do.
his mobility and agility were definitely the standouts when i watched him play. he'd move fast for a 5'10" guy, and he's what - 6'6"? the dude's a stud.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think a lot underrate Askarov’s floor. How is his floor so low if he consistently has stopped the puck at a very high level everywhere he’s played and done that playing against older players at nearly every level?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think a lot underrate Askarov’s floor. How is his floor so low if he consistently has stopped the puck at a very high level everywhere he’s played and done that playing against older players at nearly every level?

Never said how low his floor was, it was just lower than Cossa/Wallstedt because they are already so refined to the point where you can put them behind a top 15 NHL defensive system and they'd probably see a decent amount of success. Askarov has some refining to do on the more technical parts of the game and while he's not far behind he still has some catching up to do there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Never said how low his floor was, it was just lower than Cossa/Wallstedt because they are already so refined to the point where you can put them behind a top 15 NHL defensive system and they'd probably see a decent amount of success. Askarov has some refining to do on the more technical parts of the game and while he's not far behind he still has some catching up to do there.

Agree to disagree then. These young goalies all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think if you put Askarov out there compared to Cossa or Wallstedt, he’d do the best of them. He’s probably the least static of the three in his movement. That I agree about. That he’d stop the puck worse isn’t something I agree about.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
2012 was the last time there were two goaltenders selected in the first round of the NHL Draft. With Jesper Wallstedt highly likely to be the first goalie off the board this year, Edmonton Oil Kings goalie Sebastian Cossa will try to make it two first-rounders again. A second-round pick, 36th overall, by the Oil Kings in the 2017 WHL Draft, Cossa has been impressive in his time in the WHL. This season he was limited to just 19 games due to the COVID shortened season. He had a 17-1-1 record with a .941 save percentage and 1.57 goals-against average. Cossa also had four shutouts. His performance was, quite simply, dominant.

In 2019-20, Cossa played 33 games. He put up a 21-6-3 record with a .921 save percentage and 2.23 goals-against average. He also added four shutouts. Unfortunately, the global pandemic prevented Cossa from getting any playoff experience. In 2018-19 he played in two games for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He had an .895 save percentage and a 3.03 goals-against average. He also played for Team Alberta at the 2017 WHL Cup, making it to the final before losing.

2021 NHL Draft #19: Sebastian Cossa Scouting Report

Reactions: wings95

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Remember how good Devan Dubnyk was once he figured it out and hit his prime?
Cossa shows no indication that he'll require the same slow-burning development path, but shares a similar upside IMO.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I think the Blues will take him at 16th if he's still available.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

...What?

If you think Cossa is faster and more athletic than Wallstedt then I think you have not honestly watched a full game of either play. There's a good reason why Wallstedt is being talked about in the top 10 and Cossa is being talked about as a 2nd rounder.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Serious question, his stats look insane, but how much is it influenced by Edmonton being a STACKED team with Robertson, Guenther, Neighbours and Williams?

Look at his team's stats, then look at the division standings, and then the individual stats of the teams within the division.

TEAMGPWTLOTWOTLGFGA+/-TPP/GP
Edmonton Oil Kings2320-2-11044163411.78
Medicine Hat Tigers2314-8-1876918291.26
Calgary Hitmen2110-8-37279-7231.1
Lethbridge Hurricanes249-12-381108-27210.88
Red Deer Rebels234-15-459106-47120.52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Edmonton Oil Kings at eliteprospects.com

7 players on Cossa's team at or above a point per game.

I sincerely doubt Cossa was challenged much this season. The shift by shift stuff I've seen of the Oil Kings had them dominating possession, and when they didn't have the puck they were able to box out the opposition to force really low percentage shots.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I have not seen Cossa play, however, I think that his sample size is far too small for the kind of evaluations that seem to be taking place in this thread. Everyone knows this year's shortened WHL season is not a very good indicator of projectable stats going forward. For example, Dylan Guenther went wild this year and he was a popular pick to go number one, at least that is before the U18s, where he showed up as a very good player but probably the 5th or 6th best on his own team. Looking at his gaudy save percentage this year does not tell you much of anything other than the Oil Kings were dominant. Is he worth a 1st round pick or is he better than Wallstedt, those are reaches from what I'm seeing.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Cossa kind of reminds me of Spencer Knight in his draft year. Big athletic goaltender that had an impressive team in front of him that resulted in a lot of wins and only a handful of losses. He literally couldn't have done anything else to improve his draft stock. I'm sure he will be a first rounder but it will be interesting to see where he lands. Obviously his numbers this year aren't sustainable but man are they ever impressive regardless of competition.

upload_2021-6-11_15-2-10.png

upload_2021-6-11_15-2-58.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad