G Scott Ratzlaff - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2023, 141st, BUF)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

I’m shocked there wasn’t a thread on him. Has an excellent save percentage for Canada at the Hlinka so far and has been excellent verse Finland. Definitely going to be a name to watch this season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love seeing him playing unreal at this Hlinka tournament. He will be splitting duties in Seattle next season with Seattle's #1 guy Thomas Milic so it is good for all the scouts to see him play here against good talent from around the world.

Seattle has some extremely good young players on their team my god. This upcoming season and also the season after they will be a VERY strong team.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't know if I see the right level of athleticism and dynamic movement in the net for him to be a true #1 goalie prospect.. but his reading of the play and calmness in the net certainly makes him an interesting follow.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I find goalies really difficult to appraise and I wonder if scouts sometime have the same issues. I guess someone with an in depth knowledge can look on and appraise weaknesses in technique even while that goalie is making 60 saves in a game. To the average fan it looks like he is the 2nd coming because he's been pretty busy and has had the opportunity to make all those saves.

Reactions: wetcoast

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I love seeing him playing unreal at this Hlinka tournament. He will be splitting duties in Seattle next season with Seattle's #1 guy Thomas Milic so it is good for all the scouts to see him play here against good talent from around the world.

Seattle has some extremely good young players on their team my god. This upcoming season and also the season after they will be a VERY strong team.

Yeah, T-birds will be very exciting. Looking to see if Myatovic will move up the draft board.

Ratz has decent size. A bit surprised that Milic was not taken but he's "undersized" by NHL trends.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
In terms of tournament play it was a very good performance by Ratzlaff. The hope from fans of Canada for both men's and women's team goalies is to accomplish three tasks: don't create extra work for teammates via rebounds, stop what you generally should stop, & make an unexpected save every once and a while. It's rare when a Canadian goalie needs to steal a game so generally you aren't looking for that type of goalie. Scott Ratzlaff did everything asked of him and fell into the Canadian system perfectly. They dominated in front of him & he cleaned up the mistakes/prevented long stretches of offensive pressure against. It's super deflating to get an offensive chance finally only for Ratzlaff to shut it down or just even get a shot and think hey maybe there'll be a rebound when there isn't. It's very similar to the Avs Cup run when the expectations on one-eyed Kuemper/Francouz were just don't lose us the game. Worked out well there. It's a very unique situation that very few goalies find themselves behind & can be tough dealing with the long stretches of nothing so when you can find a goalie that handle they deserve credit.

As for Ratzlaff being a NHL prospect there's definitely skills there that should perk any scout's interest. Pretty solid structure for one so he wasn't scrambling or ending up out of position a whole lot. Did notice a few times where he abandoned his edges which is concerning especially for a goalie his size but it wasn't anything egregious, just something to keep an eye on. Really liked his puck/shot tracking as he was able to react in time to everything happening in front of him. He's going to need to find some more explosiveness to his game to be able to challenge more aggressively to cut down on his size disadvantage. His agility/quickness is good at this level but in the NHL/AHL you start to get uncomfortable thinking about if he has the agility/quickness to react positionally in time. We'll see how he handles the chaos that comes with playing in a full season & if he can consistently, as well as successfully, keep to his structure.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Couldnt have asked for a better showing for him leading into his draft year.

He definately has risen on draft lists after this performance

Reactions: bedtime20

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Came here to say this as they will be WHL contenders for the next several seasons for sure after a deep run this year.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Strong start to his draft year in the WHL, from T-Birds 2 goalies, he has been the better one.
- yes, Milic have faced way more pucks, but still

3-0-0-0 record

1.60 gaa
.930 sv% (66/71)
- 23.6 shots faced per game

vs

Thomas Milic

4-0-0-0 record

3.25 gaa
.899 sv% (117/130)
- 32.5 shots faced per game

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
I think with a player like Ratzlaff the size isn't irrelevant, but I would rather take a chance 6'0 goalie who the knock on him is that he's very good but only 6'0 than take a chance on a player who people only think is a good draft prospect because he's big and he'll get in the way of the puck.
I agree. Devon Levi was taking in the last round, but I believe he is a better prospect than many of the goalies in his draft class. I really don’t understand the hype around size for a goaltender and I think it will start to disappear as more “undersized” prospects prove they are capable. Saros is 5’10 and a top three goalie in the nhl. I really think size has an impact in many aspects of the game, but feel like those aspects ie. physicality, puck possession, poke check etc provide bigger advantages to other positions. Longer legs and a bigger frame means bigger five hole, and potentially less mobility, where as shorter may have quicker feet and agility. A larger goalie can cover more of the net and creates a more intimidating presence as well as having to move less to cover more. In my opinion both have their advantages and diversity in the sport makes for a more interesting game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree. Devon Levi was taking in the last round, but I believe he is a better prospect than many of the goalies in his draft class. I really don’t understand the hype around size for a goaltender and I think it will start to disappear as more “undersized” prospects prove they are capable. Saros is 5’10 and a top three goalie in the nhl. I really think size has an impact in many aspects of the game, but feel like those aspects ie. physicality, puck possession, poke check etc provide bigger advantages to other positions. Longer legs and a bigger frame means bigger five hole, and potentially less mobility, where as shorter may have quicker feet and agility. A larger goalie can cover more of the net and creates a more intimidating presence as well as having to move less to cover more. In my opinion both have their advantages and diversity in the sport makes for a more interesting game.

Terrific explanation. That’s exactly how I feel.

There are only so many athletic freaks in the sport like Vasilevskiy that are 6’3 with some of the best lateral movement in the league and good positioning/technique/sense. At the goaltending position, there’s one.

It’s a trade-off otherwise. What I look for most with a goalie is save percentage. It might sound stupid, but I think that’s the largest correlation with success at higher levels. I think the bottom line results for the position are a higher correlation for a goalie than points for skaters.

Junior or lower level pro hockey is not a level of hockey where I think the elite players are undone by the team around them that often. There are some goalies who don’t put up big numbers until the middle of their career, but it’s usually because those goalies weren’t that good until then and then something came together to make them better. If you put the best goalies in the NHL on the worst teams in the CHL this season, they are probably leading the CHL in save percentage by a lot.

Environment only matters so much. Where the best goalies might suffer if their defensemen don’t tie up sticks in front of the net or allow a lot of odd man rushes, they’ll make up for it with having less games where they can’t stop a puck or allowing less rebounds. If you have superior ability, it’ll make up for playing for a bad team at a level where statistically you have to be in the absolute upper tier of players in the league to have a chance to be a successful NHL’er. Even if your defense sucks and are giving up a breakaway, if you are going to be in the NHL, you should be able to stop the breakaway attempt of the guy that’ll be a plumber in five years.

Environment matters, but the best goalies were usually the best goalies at lower levels, regardless of circumstances. If that’s what Ratzlaff is in the WHL or internationally in his age group, I think he’s a better bet than a guy who is mediocre in junior and doesn’t come close to making Canada’s international rosters that happens to be 6’3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teaspoon salami

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was listed at 6'2" but measured at 6'0.5" at the combine. Have to imagine that is going to hurt his draft stock a good bit.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I think with a player like Ratzlaff the size isn't irrelevant, but I would rather take a chance 6'0 goalie who the knock on him is that he's very good but only 6'0 than take a chance on a player who people only think is a good draft prospect because he's big and he'll get in the way of the puck.

Shesterkin is 6'1 and Saros is 5'11, they're among the best goalies out there. Wolf and Levi at 6'0 seem very promising aswell.

I think size is trending down a little bit in the goalie department, don't know if it's because the game is getting faster. Being big is still a plus but you don't see many stiff 6'7 goalies be succesful.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I think size is trending down a little bit in the goalie department, don't know if it's because the game is getting faster. Being big is still a plus but you don't see many stiff 6'7 goalies be succesful.

Actually it's been steadily trending up. I believe the average of NHL goalies right now is a shade under 6'3.

Even the smaller goalies were all taken in the later rounds like Levi, Shesterkin, Wolf and Saros. The size bias in the NHL is still there.

I've read reports where NHL teams won't even look at what the goalie is actually doing if he's 6'0 or under.

Kind of explains why teams are still skittish on guys like Milic even after his play/accomplisments.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Actually it's been steadily trending up. I believe the average of NHL goalies right now is a shade under 6'3.

Even the smaller goalies were all taken in the later rounds like Levi, Shesterkin, Wolf and Saros. The size bias in the NHL is still there.

I've read reports where NHL teams won't even look at what the goalie is actually doing if he's 6'0 or under.

Kind of explains why teams are still skittish on guys like Milic even after his play/accomplisments.
Goalies getting bigger, forwards getting smaller.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Goalies getting bigger, forwards getting smaller.
I disagree in regards to goalies. Agree about forwards.

How many of the top 10-15 goalies in the NHL nowadays are taller than 6'3? Maybe like 3.

How many of the top 10-15 goalies in the NHL nowadays are shorter than 6'2? Maybe like 3.

It seems like with goalies the average goalie is 6'2/6'3, and there are some outliers that are shorter and taller. There are more overall goalies in the NHL that are taller than shorter, but smaller goalies are constantly having to beat odds that taller goalies aren't. I think it's starting to trend in the direction where we'll see an equal number of goalies above 6'2/6'3 and below 6'2/6'3 over the next 10 years. They just need more of a shot. I think goaltending is the position where size matters the least because it's the position in the sport that is by far the least contact-oriented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad