G - Oliver Auyeung-Ashton, Victoria Grizzlies (2023 Draft)

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
How much does height actually matter for goaltending?
Enough that this goalie won't be drafted?

5'10" (Short, but only in goaltending terms), He has a .930 SV% (Unfortunately a below .500 Goalie).
He would be a surefire pick if he was 6'1" or something like that, but I'm not sure at 5'10".
What do you think?

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019

5'10" (Short, but only in goaltending terms), He has a .930 SV% (Unfortunately a below .500 Goalie).
He would be a surefire pick if he was 6'1" or something like that, but I'm not sure at 5'10".
What do you think?
A .930 is great, but it's alittle extra to say after 14 games that he's a surefire pick. There's literally nothing else to go off of, he's not playing in the top league and there's no international experience or major tournaments. If he can continue to keep those numbers by the end of the season, scouts still would need more sample size for him to be a surefire pick, but it would be a start. I'd like to watch some clips on him to see how he moves.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
A .930 is great, but it's alittle extra to say after 14 games that he's a surefire pick. There's literally nothing else to go off of, he's not playing in the top league and there's no international experience or major tournaments. If he can continue to keep those numbers by the end of the season, scouts still would need more sample size for him to be a surefire pick, but it would be a start. I'd like to watch some clips on him to see how he moves.
Going to a game on saturday. Hope he starts so I can see how he plays.
I might be able to get back to you then!

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

What do you think?

Height matters a lot in the NHL nowadays, only 3 or 4 are under 6 feet.

Rarely has a BCHL goalie been drafted, you might seem them later in the college free agent pool.

Ironically, Kyle Kelsey, who played for the Grizzlies last year, is ripping up the WHL with Red Deer. Probably should have been drafted last year and may get a look this year.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Height matters a lot in the NHL nowadays, only 3 or 4 are under 6 feet.

Rarely has a BCHL goalie been drafted, you might seem them later in the college free agent pool.

Ironically, Kyle Kelsey, who played for the Grizzlies last year, is ripping up the WHL with Red Deer. Probably should have been drafted last year and may get a look this year.
I don't think height matters so much for performance, rather than for getting drafted, because some teams won't look at a guy under 6'2. It's a trend that can eventually die out, but needs time. There are plenty of goalies under 6'1 who are unbelievable talents, it just takes more guys like saros to pave the way. I've been an advocate for shorter goalies for a while tho.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I don't think height matters so much for performance, rather than for getting drafted, because some teams won't look at a guy under 6'2. It's a trend that can eventually die out, but needs time. There are plenty of goalies under 6'1 who are unbelievable talents, it just takes more guys like saros to pave the way. I've been an advocate for shorter goalies for a while tho.
At this point, I feel goaltenders around 6' should lie about their height and say they're 6'1" just so people notice.

Matthew Galajda, another former Grizzlie, didn't get any North Americans offers because he was 6', even though 6' aint even that bad!

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
At this point, I feel goaltenders around 6' should lie about their height and say they're 6'1" just so people notice.

Matthew Galajda, another former Grizzlie, didn't get any North Americans offers because he was 6', even though 6' aint even that bad!
It's hard to lie nowadays, because you're measured by NHL central scouting and your team etc

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Auyeung-Ashton hasn't slowed down yet! .933 SV%!!!

I'm hoping to see him play today, as well as Hoyt (A potential Mid-Round Draft pick).

(Connor Bedard is in town today but tickets are sold out.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Teaspoon salami

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
He played last night so there Is a high chance of him not playing tonight. In case he doesn't play though, here is a picture of Ashton:

Attachments

• 1669502142504.png
    1669502142504.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Looked VERY good tonight. He got his 3rd Shutout of the season.

From the one period I was there, He looked Very strong in net, and it certainly felt like he was a step above the competition in the BCHL.
The only weakness Ashton has is height from what I can see. I really think that people should give him a look.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
So yeah, this goalie is my poster boy to bring back Tiny NHL Goaltenders!
3 Shutouts and a .937 in 16 GP this year!

I would be shocked if he isn't at least on the Top 50 list for Top NA Goalies in the draft.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Hugo Hävelid didn't get drafted last year. Height matters, would be shocked if Oliver gets drafted.
He was still #2 on European central scouting for goaltenders.

Ashton will be on the scouting radar even if he's not drafted. A lot of the things that applied to havelid also applies to Ashton.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Gotta be an elite skater if you aren't tall and Havelid wasn't. Don't know about this kid.
He skates pretty damn well. Enough to outskate the Players in the BCHL for sure.

I'd advocate for some NHL scouts or Professional sports writers to go watch a Victoria Grizzlies game, as they could get a better picture than my amateur ass.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Ashton has 5 Shutouts as of last night.
He has let in just 12 goals in hist last 8 games on a .953 SV%.

He is 5'9", but he is the best 5'9" goaltender I've seen. Might be worth a 7th rounder.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad