Confirmed with Link: (G) Nico Daws re-signs with NJD (2 years, $812.5K AAV)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Looks like Schmid will start as the #3 next year behind Hill and Samsonov.

But if he’s on the Vegas team when they visit NJ, I would love to see a short video tribute set to Tequila.
If Samsonov plays the way he has the majority of his career then Schmid will be the backup. Unless he’s bombing in the AHL.

I still can’t believe they traded Thompson and his sub-$1 million a year cap hit, only to sign Samsonov for double the money. And they got nothing really substantial back for Thompson.

They were better off letting him walk after this year and getting one more year of his league minimum contract and getting nothing back, than trading him for very little and replacing him with an inferior goalie (who has been bad at the NHL level, waived last year and washed out of two organizations) at double the salary.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m not sure why they didn’t just keep Thompson. It surely can’t be “Because he was going to walk for nothing after this year” as he was more valuable at his current salary and walking for nothing at year’s end than clearing him out and getting nothing spectacular in return.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was higher on Schmid up until last year. A couple things changed my mind.

I feel like Schmid may have a higher ceiling and can make spectacular saves, as shown in the Rangers series, but I began to think tha he's mentally soft. It's not that he started losing games in the NHL, but that he would play like crap every time he was sent down to Utica. Was that the Rogalski effect? I dunno. But it seemed like he was pouting, and it affected his game.

The other reason is that Daws may have been affected by his injury long before he had his surgery. I'm hoping that had something to do with Schmid outplaying him earlier, which was the cause of me preferring Schmid. They had similar stats a couple years ago in the AHL, but if you ask someone like @Bad Goalie , I think you'll hear that Schmid played better despite the similar numbers.

The last thing is that Daws seems to relish one on one situations. He says he likes the challenge of facing breakaways, and I trust him stopping them more than Schmid. It's a minor thing, but that holds some weight with me.

So...all in all, I preferred keeping Daws by the tiniest of margins.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I was higher on Schmid up until last year. A couple things changed my mind.

I feel like Schmid may have a higher ceiling and can make spectacular saves, as shown in the Rangers series, but I began to think tha he's mentally soft. It's not that he started losing games in the NHL, but that he would play like crap every time he was sent down to Utica. Was that the Rogalski effect? I dunno. But it seemed like he was pouting, and it affected his game.

The other reason is that Daws may have been affected by his injury long before he had his surgery. I'm hoping that had something to do with Schmid outplaying him earlier, which was the cause of me preferring Schmid. They had similar stats a couple years ago in the AHL, but if you ask someone like @Bad Goalie , I think you'll hear that Schmid played better despite the similar numbers.

The last thing is that Daws seems to relish one on one situations. He says he likes the challenge of facing breakaways, and I trust him stopping them more than Schmid. It's a minor thing, but that holds some weight with me.

So...all in all, I preferred keeping Daws by the tiniest of margins.
"if you ask someone like @Bad Goalie , I think you'll hear that Schmid played better despite the similar numbers."
That was true a couple of years ago, but last year he was outplayed by Daws and kept surrendering the wrist shot goals over his shoulder while sitting on his knees from the boards, the point, and the top of the circle with no one impeding his view of the puck and the pouting" was much more noticeable.

Their numbers WERE similar a couple of years ago as you noted, but were also similar last year as well. I did predict that Schmid would be traded as Daws has shown better progress in spite of Schmid's heroic playoff series vs the hated Rangers endearing him forever to the Devils fan base. It also made him more valuable as trade bait.

Daws was overplayed last season in NJ while on recovery from double (?) hip surgery (acetabular labrum surgery). He played well and put up better numbers while rotating every other game with Poulter in the the AHL before he was called up, but during that span Poulter put up top 10 #s in the AHL.
Poulter finished the season ranked #17 among all AHL keepers with a 2.55GAA/.911 SAV%.
Dawsput up a 2.89GAA/.890 SAV%.
Schmid was 3rd best at 3.06GAA/.894SAV%.

IF Daws, turning 24 in December, makes a big comeback and Poulter, turning 23 in September, continues to grow his game proving last season wasn't one and done, the Comets will challenge the older Hershey duo (28/25) for the best goalie tandem in the AHL.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Definitely this. Can someone from camp Daws share why they think Daws is the better of the 2? I’m not sure who will be better and I don’t feel confident the team made the right or wrong choice, so just want to hear the other side

For me, he showed a lot of promise before the team destroyed him with so many consecutive games and the rogalski effect kicked in. A lot here are high on Schmid because of the playoffs last year, which is understandable.

On sort of related and unrelated, it's hard to tell if it really is Rogalski but he really has shown no signs of being a good coach and so many signs of being a shitty one, but yea it could just all be coincidence /shrug

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If Samsonov plays the way he has the majority of his career then Schmid will be the backup. Unless he’s bombing in the AHL.

I still can’t believe they traded Thompson and his sub-$1 million a year cap hit, only to sign Samsonov for double the money. And they got nothing really substantial back for Thompson.

They were better off letting him walk after this year and getting one more year of his league minimum contract and getting nothing back, than trading him for very little and replacing him with an inferior goalie (who has been bad at the NHL level, waived last year and washed out of two organizations) at double the salary.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m not sure why they didn’t just keep Thompson. It surely can’t be “Because he was going to walk for nothing after this year” as he was more valuable at his current salary and walking for nothing at year’s end than clearing him out and getting nothing spectacular in return.
If we will watch goalies with at least 69 games in the last three seasons Samsonov is #35 in Sv% 5 on 5, #19 in HDSV, #14 in HDGAA and #20 in HDGSAA. Schmid will not be backup if Samsonov will play like he did all his career, but if he will catch his another slamp and he will catch it, Schmid will have opportunity to be higher than he is now - number 3 goalie. of course its not a big problem, because Samsonov signed short term deal, Schmid should polish his game in AHL.

BTW I dont know why they let Thompson go, he is better. May be he asked for bigger role.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
For me, he showed a lot of promise before the team destroyed him with so many consecutive games and the rogalski effect kicked in. A lot here are high on Schmid because of the playoffs last year, which is understandable.

On sort of related and unrelated, it's hard to tell if it really is Rogalski but he really has shown no signs of being a good coach and so many signs of being a shitty one, but yea it could just all be coincidence /shrug
Totally fair. I think the two ended up with the same sv% last year but the journeys there were very different. Schmid also had a terrific 22-23 before the playoffs whereas Daws has struggled in the NHL before this year

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we will watch goalies with at least 69 games in the last three seasons Samsonov is #35 in Sv% 5 on 5, #19 in HDSV, #14 in HDGAA and #20 in HDGSAA. Schmid will not be backup if Samsonov will play like he did all his career, but if he will catch his another slamp and he will catch it, Schmid will have opportunity to be higher than he is now - number 3 goalie. of course its not a big problem, because Samsonov signed short term deal, Schmid should polish his game in AHL.

BTW I dont know why they let Thompson go, he is better. May be he asked for bigger role.
Most of Samsonov being that high is that he had a very good 22-23 season. That's really the only particularly good season he's had in the NHL. He followed that up with a career worst. His last two seasons in Washington were both mediocre. His 19-20 wasn't bad when he did play, but they didn't let him play too much because they were still gifting Holtby starts.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Most of Samsonov being that high is that he had a very good 22-23 season. That's really the only particularly good season he's had in the NHL. He followed that up with a career worst. His last two seasons in Washington were both mediocre. His 19-20 wasn't bad when he did play, but they didn't let him play too much because they were still gifting Holtby starts.
He has 90.8 this season 5 on 5. Ottienger has 90.7. Its not great, its not good, its okay. Vanecek has 90.2, Schmid has 90.3. Daws has 90.4. Samsonov is #32 in HDGAA (players with 14+ games), 40 in HDGSAA (right behind #39 Thompson).

Overall Samsonov has very good and bad stretches last season. He is not consistent goalie - talented, but if things are not going well - he cant catch his game, injuries are not helping. Overall he is okay backup. And he is right candidate for a third goalie to try. Its a one year 1.8 mil deal - its not a problem to dump him or trade him if Schmid will win it. But for now Schmid is behind Samsonov with his experience.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I don’t think it had anything to do with Daws. I think it was because Markstrom with only 2 more years is safer than having to extend Ullmark and sign him to a new deal for 5-6 (potentially 7) more years.
You're probably right but I do think the organization wasn't ready to throw all the young goalies away by signing an expensive guy to an 7/8 year deal so it played into their decision.

They got the best guy with the shortest term to let the kids marinate a bit and kick the can down the road with them.

Outside of catastrophic injuries, retirement or outright suckage from Markstrom and the timeline works better this way.

If Daws or Yegorov turn into legit NHL goalies we're in great shape for a while.

I will defer to you on goalie evaluation though :)

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
You're probably right but I do think the organization wasn't ready to throw all the young goalies away by signing an expensive guy to an 7/8 year deal so it played into their decision.

They got the best guy with the shortest term to let the kids marinate a bit and kick the can down the road with them.

Catastrophic injuries retirement or outright suckage from Markstrom and the timeline works better this way.

If Daws or Yegorov turn into legit NHL goalies we're in great shape for a while.

I will defer to you on goalie evaluation though :)
Malek intrigues me as well.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
love-hearts.gif

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I think they bailed on Schmid too quickly. I've been adamant about him being a NHL goalie but organizationally someone had to go. Just not sure why they didn't give him more of a chance this season in the beginning instead of trotting out Viteks corpse for 30 whatever games.

Because Vanacek was lights out the prior season and earned the right to be given a long runway. That the Devils collapsed mid-season was not all on the goaltending; though that is the popular narrative.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Nice deal. Looking forward to a solid year of development; emerging as a reliable starter with the Comets (with the ability to train and refine his game without the yoyo between the Devils and Utica).

Will also be interesting to track Poulter and Brennan. Hopefully competition sharpens both.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Nice deal. Looking forward to a solid year of development; emerging as a reliable starter with the Comets (with the ability to train and refine his game without the yoyo between the Devils and Utica).

Will also be interesting to track Poulter and Brennan. Hopefully competition sharpens both.
Poulter and Daws will tandem in Utica. Poulter won that duel last season.

Brennan will have to battle with Brodeur in ECHL Adirondack. Brodeur was very good down there. Brennan has his work cut out for himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Because Vanacek was lights out the prior season and earned the right to be given a long runway. That the Devils collapsed mid-season was not all on the goaltending; though that is the popular narrative.
1. Vanecek was not lights out the entirety of the prior season. His play dropped off around February aside from a few random very good games, most weren't great even with wins

2. Goaltending is the single most recognizable reason why they collapsed. Other issues? Sure, but goaltending was issue number 1.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
1. Vanecek was not lights out the entirety of the prior season. His play dropped off around February aside from a few random very good games, most weren't great even with wins

2. Goaltending is the single most recognizable reason why they collapsed. Other issues? Sure, but goaltending was issue number 1.
Knock on wood, cross your fingers, pray to whom or whatever, throw a shaker of salt over your shoulder, make the sign of the cross, or whatever other superstition you can use for good luck, but the Devils have bulked up their goalie depth and currently have 2 adequate, if not better, keepers in NJ (Markstrom and Allen), 2 really solid prospects in Utica (Daws and Poulter), another in Finland (Malek), a young but so called promising one in Adirondack (Brennan), and a recent 2nd round draft selection (Mikhail Yegorov), who is highly regarded and will start his NCAA career at Boston University in the 2025-26 season. They also selected Veeti Louhivaara who will be playing in Finland's Ligga.

The Devils goaltending cupboard has gone from sparse to full.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I would write an essay, but this poster has me on their list (unless they've since removed me) over bitching about goaltending nonstop. It's no use.

And Vitek being ''Lights out'' the year before is extremely generous. He was solid, maybe good. Lights out is something I'd say to describe someone that was in the Vezina conversation, which Vitek was absolutely not. And his playoff performance should have earned him nothing. It's not like it's Brodeur, come on now.

I'd say Schmid was closer to lights out that year, both in the regular season and playoffs, but the number of games he played wasn't all that high. If he had played as much as Vitek did that year, I'm skeptical he maintains a .920%.

Yeah, the team collapsed mid-season and completely blew itself up after the Ruff firing and Green taking over. Which ironically the goaltending came to life at that time, I'm sure in no small part due to new acquisitions.

I've pointed out that his play went downhill around February or so. He had a .916% coming out of the all star break, and finished with a .911%. Now this wouldn't have meant much to me and I would have written that off as randomness and largely irrelevant, but the fact that it spilled over into the next season and got even worse makes it relevant to me. I'm sure from post-all star break 2023 through his last game (including his joke of a playoffs) he was probably in the lower .890s over a 50 or 60 game stretch. I haven't run the numbers in a while and don't care to because he isn't on the team anymore, but he was shot here after those playoffs and was never gonna bounce back here. And he was a COWARD of a player, who would no-show the media and let Ruff and the players answer for why he sucked so much every night, because he was either hiding in the showers/lounge or already on his way to the parking garage, likely with a bag over his f***in head. So yeah, f*** that guy. I hope we beat them 10-0 both times next year, with both him and Blackwood eating some of those 20 combined goals. I wonder if he runs out after that. Better chance Blackwood stands there and takes their questions.

Looks like I wrote an essay anyway lol. Enjoy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Knock on wood, cross your fingers, pray to whom or whatever, throw a shaker of salt over your shoulder, make the sign of the cross, or whatever other superstition you can use for good luck, but the Devils have bulked up their goalie depth and currently have 2 adequate, if not better, keepers in NJ (Markstrom and Allen), 2 really solid prospects in Utica (Daws and Poulter), another in Finland (Malek), a young but so called promising one in Adirondack (Brennan), and a recent 2nd round draft selection (Mikhail Yegorov), who is highly regarded and will start his NCAA career at Boston University in the 2025-26 season. They also selected Veeti Louhivaara who will be playing in Finland's Ligga.

The Devils goaltending cupboard has gone from sparse to full.
I wonder if Brennan's stock has risen again a little bit. I thought he was fairly promising a couple of years ago. Maybe he can eventually take an AHL spot and put something together.

That's another reason why one of Schmid/Daws probably needed to go. There's just not enough chairs left.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I wonder if Brennan's stock has risen again a little bit. I thought he was fairly promising a couple of years ago. Maybe he can eventually take an AHL spot and put something together.

That's another reason why one of Schmid/Daws probably needed to go. There's just not enough chairs left.
Just so you know, no matter how bad a goalie might be you cannot hit him with one of those chairs.

Ad

Ad

Ad