Confirmed with Link: (G) Nico Daws re-signs with NJD (2 years, $812.5K AAV)

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
To me, he was the right choice between him and Schmid. He's far from a perfect goalie still, but I think he brings more poise and consistency to his game. Schmid was always just very up and down, but had the greatest up imaginable in the playoffs.

I'm excited to see him progress further. Big fan of his.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Novo's article says it's it's $775K NHL / $350K AHL ($465K guaranteed) for this upcoming season and $850K in 2025-2026.

Seems like a fair contract all around. Interesting to note that Daws has the same cap hit as Poulter. I personally wouldn't read too much into year 2 of the deal being a one-way contract as it's not going to impact Daws' chances of being the backup in 2025-2026 as he has to clear waivers anyway. Yes, ideally Daws claims the backup spot in 2025-2026 while Poulter and Malek split time in Utica, but Daws still really needs to step up his game this season to the point that NJ feels comfortable letting Allen walk after this season. Being on a one-way deal next season maybe shows a bit more confidence in Daws, doesn't guarantee much of anything regarding where he'll play.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Obligatory Where Mercer extension?
IMG_7435.jpeg

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
To me, he was the right choice between him and Schmid. He's far from a perfect goalie still, but I think he brings more poise and consistency to his game. Schmid was always just very up and down, but had the great up imaginable in the playoffs.

I'm excited to see him progress further. Big fan of his.
There are alot of variables to nit pick from the last few seasons. Both goalies started games a bit too early in their career due to injuries and what not. Both shined at times and Both struggled at times. I think fans are a bit too harsh on Schmid for regressing this past season. He posted similar numbers that Daws did this year at the NHL level so and also was a big reason the Devils beat the Rangers in 7 games. Schmid's play from the 2022-23 was the best we have seen from a goalie I'm a Devils uniform since Blackwood his first season or two. It's a small sample size though but it's atleast a glimpse of what he can potentially be. Daws has impressed at times but I'm not sold on who the better of the 2 will be. I like Daws regardless and I'm glad he is sticking around. He has an opportunity to be our starter some day if he pans out.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yeah, even if situationally its a right move - Daws can be send down, but we dont know who will be better goalie. Both are too young, for modern goalies 22-24 yo is really nothing serious. Some of them can start to be regular back up in his 26-27 and thn win starting job and even be very good starter.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
There are alot of variables to nit pick from the last few seasons. Both goalies started games a bit too early in their career due to injuries and what not. Both shined at times and Both struggled at times. I think fans are a bit too harsh on Schmid for regressing this past season. He posted similar numbers that Daws did this year at the NHL level so and also was a big reason the Devils beat the Rangers in 7 games. Schmid's play from the 2022-23 was the best we have seen from a goalie I'm a Devils uniform since Blackwood his first season or two. It's a small sample size though but it's atleast a glimpse of what he can potentially be. Daws has impressed at times but I'm not sold on who the better of the 2 will be. I like Daws regardless and I'm glad he is sticking around. He has an opportunity to be our starter some day if he pans out.
I think they bailed on Schmid too quickly. I've been adamant about him being a NHL goalie but organizationally someone had to go. Just not sure why they didn't give him more of a chance this season in the beginning instead of trotting out Viteks corpse for 30 whatever games.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

You're not wrong at all, but unfortunately, the organization's hands were tied with having to move on from one of them. I think Daws had a real solid stretch of games last year before he was ridden into the dirt starting 10 out of 11 games right around when Lindy got canned. Before that, I thought he brought the most composure in net that we had seen to that point.

Schmid deserves a lot of credit for being where he is today given he jumped up here quickly from the USHL. He'll always have a special place in my heart for 2023 that's for sure.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
You're not wrong at all, but unfortunately, the organization's hands were tied with having to move on from one of them. I think Daws had a real solid stretch of games last year before he was ridden into the dirt starting 10 out of 11 games right around when Lindy got canned. Before that, I thought he brought the most composure in net that we had seen to that point.

Schmid deserves a lot of credit for being where he is today given he jumped up here quickly from the USHL. He'll always have a special place in my heart for 2023 that's for sure.
#AllHailAkira

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think they bailed on Schmid too quickly. I've been adamant about him being a NHL goalie but organizationally someone had to go. Just not sure why they didn't give him more of a chance this season in the beginning instead of trotting out Viteks corpse for 30 whatever games.
And I’m pretty sure he actually talked to the media after being shelled, at least sometimes. As did Daws.

The fact that Vitek ran out of the building faster than the people who were already outside really soured me on him so much. I’m almost certain players noticed this and I really think the “when we get saves we win” comment from Jack was a dig at Vitek. The fact that he was a coward and left Ruff and the skaters to answer all the questions about him every night really completely turned me against him. Even Blackwood sometimes stuck around for the heat from the media after his bad outings.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
And I’m pretty sure he actually talked to the media after being shelled, at least sometimes. As did Daws.

The fact that Vitek ran out of the building faster than the people who were already outside really soured me on him so much. I’m almost certain players noticed this and I really think the “when we get saves we win” comment from Jack was a dig at Vitek. The fact that he was a coward and left Ruff and the skaters to answer all the questions about him every night really completely turned me against him. Even Blackwood sometimes stuck around for the heat from the media after his bad outings.
He was just trying to get to the hibachi place faster. Those interviews take forever with the language barrier.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Schmid had a golden opportunity this past season to establish himself as an NHL goaltender coming off the 2023 playoffs and he completely shit the bed. Yeah, I know he is/was still relatively young for goalies and it would've been tough to match his 2022-2023 numbers (2.13 GAA / .922 SV% regular season. - 2.35 GAA / .921 SV% Playoffs), but he had such a disappointing season at both the NHL and AHL levels to the point that you have to wonder what the hell happened last offseason? Schmid should've worked his ass off and come into the season confident as hell that he could take over as the starter over Vitek. Maybe the fact that it was clear that Fitz was searching for another goaltending option and would've preferred to have Schmid start out in the AHL could've shaken him a bit, but that never materialized and the opportunity for Schmid was right there from the start.

I have no idea who is the better option between Schmid or Daws. Neither one was very good last season as they had similar stats, so Daws really need to make a huge jump this season. Seems like the emergence of Poulter is ultimately what forced their hand into making a decision between Daws vs. Schmid, otherwise I think they would've given that duo one more chance in Utica this upcoming season to see if one of the two clearly emerged.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

schmid could win every regular season game he plays against us until the end of time and i wouldn't mind. what he did against the rangers was absolutely bonkers all things considered. i haven't been so proud of one of our goalies since marty.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Definitely this. Can someone from camp Daws share why they think Daws is the better of the 2? I’m not sure who will be better and I don’t feel confident the team made the right or wrong choice, so just want to hear the other side

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I like the new approach to this signing. DAWS' difference in the first year with the second year. In the first year, Fitz expects Daws to play in the minors so he will play him $350K but in an emergency he can step into the NHL at $775K. The second year he is the back up goalie at $850K.

I like the creativity, but it should not come as a surprise that I like Fitz as the GM. He has tried some stuff, because he wouldn't accept less than his plan, that didn't work out. This happens. Had the risk he took worked out then he would be look at as a hero by some of you and as an average GM by others of you, example he stayed with Vanavek and Schmid rather than sign a pair of goalies that he didn't see as a solution to the goalie problem in NJ, and waited until he got what he wanted with last seasons late goalie signings and this off season goalie signing. Then he knew the defense had short-falls so he beefed up the NJ defense with this off seasons defensive signings.

There are never any guarantees with any signing but on paper this off seasons' signings look great.

He took a risk with Ruff, even gave him a new contract to show Ruff he was in on his side but protected the Devils by adding Travis Green but Ruff didn't deliver on his side. So both are gone and we have much better new coach with Sheldon Keefe and new assistant coach Jemery Colliton.

If you are not a fan of Tom Fitzgerald then understand his actions and give him a chance. Shero was a not as smart as Fitzgerald.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad