Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Last year we were 12th in GF and T-26th in GA.

In 22-23 we were 9th in GA with a VV-Blackwood-Schmid goalie trio and Lindy as HC. It's not outlandish to think we can get back to the top 10 with Keefe's new system, Markstrom/Allen in goal, and upgrading from Bahl.

Offensively, healthy seasons from the top guys and getting someone not named Travis Green to run the PP should easily get us to the top 10 and realistically into the top 5 (we were 4th in 22-23).

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If the Devils defense stays healthy this year and Markstrom plays slightly above average then the 1st is a probably a 20+ pick which is fine for me. Bahl can be replaced easily. he's a 3rd pairing defenseman that is big but only uses it 5 games a year.

our prospect pool gets better this draft too. the cherry on top for this offseason would be to get a 2nd round pick somehow.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Jake Allen was playing behind half of an NHL team most of the time. Lets be honest about our assessments here..
Being honest would say that he was acquired when the team was trying to be competitive, and played the same team we had all season until Jack went down.

Not sure where you get 'half' from, except for maybe the last five to ten games.

Maybe we get structure with Keefe, start playing defense and Markstrom is the difference? I'm hopeful and I'll be more hopeful if Fitz's big splash is a gritty bottom six transplant and two excellent physical LHDs.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
you think bahl was physical??? he was only larger than most of our team yes we need a big mean D man now in FA. this was strickly a goalie add
I don't think Bahl was done cooking at 23. We can revisit how mean and physical he is in a couple of years. He was big, and cheap. Just saying: we fixed a need by making a bigger need worse

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Wouldn't hate Skjei at all
I think Fitz targets someone like Provorov. Not sure who else could fit that description:
- LD
- not too much term (1 - 2 years) / reasonable cap hit
- could play top 4
- can PK / doesn't need PP time

Maybe they go get Graves back? But, he's got five years left. Feels too long to commit to given that Graves is likely bottom pair for three (or possibly four) of those years.

UFA options likely command too much $ and term. But, some lower key options include:
- Dermott
- Kylington (feels too risky?)
- Aho (too small?)

Reactions: billingtons ghost

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I don't think Bahl was done cooking at 23. We can revisit how mean and physical he is in a couple of years. He was big, and cheap. Just saying: we fixed a need by making a bigger need worse

The Panthers are proving, once again, that physicality means nothing if you're a bad/below average hockey player. You need to be good while also providing that side of that game. We've seen way more bad with Bahl than good to assume he'll be a better player in the long run. He screams third pair journeyman in this league

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Being honest would say that he was acquired when the team was trying to be competitive, and played the same team we had all season until Jack went down.

Not sure where you get 'half' from, except for maybe the last five to ten games.

Maybe we get structure with Keefe, start playing defense and Markstrom is the difference? I'm hopeful and I'll be more hopeful if Fitz's big splash is a gritty bottom six transplant and two excellent physical LHDs.
Toffoli was gone. McLeod was long gone, Hamilton long gone. Jack was clearly not himself. Sieg's missed games in there somewhere. Bastian was out. There were a lot of injuries.

I guess we were trying to be competitive in Feb when McLeod and Hamilton were already gone, but we weren't actually competitive.

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think Fitz targets someone like Provorov. Not sure who else could fit that description:
- LD
- could play top 4

Maybe they go get Graves back? But, he's got five years left. Feels too long to commit to given that Graves is likely bottom pair for three (or possibly four) of those years.

UFA options likely command too much $ and term. But, some lower key options include:
- Dermott
- Aho (too small?)
reverend provorov can f*** right off

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
- LD
- could play top 4

- Dermott
- Aho (too small?)

Don't want anything to do with Provorov

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
you think bahl was physical??? he was only larger than most of our team yes we need a big mean D man now in FA. this was strickly a goalie add
I think fans have a conception of physicality that doesn't exist all that much today. Bahl was pretty physical. Could he have been more physical? Yeah, he could have, but he was pretty physical.

A physical d-man was in no way a bigger need then goalie. Just no way.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
- LD
- could play top 4

- Dermott
- Aho (too small?)

He may prefer to stay on the west coast, but a guy like Alec Martinez could maybe make some sense? Ian Cole?

May depend a lot on what Fitz is shopping for though. Is he looking to push Siegs down or replace Bahl.

Reactions: tailfins

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Toffoli was gone. McLeod was long gone, Hamilton long gone. Jack was clearly not himself. Sieg's missed games in there somewhere. Bastian was out. There were a lot of injuries.

I guess we were trying to be competitive in Feb when McLeod and Hamilton were already gone, but we weren't actually competitive.
Yeah, but Toffoli is gone next year. McLeod is gone.

Are you trying to say last year's team was just fine before we traded for Allen?

We didn't go out and get Jake Allen just for 2024-2025, yeah we were sellers but basically our team was reasonably intact at the time if the trade.

I didn't think Toffoli was the difference maker in our own zone right before he got dealt.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
They probably want Zadarov in UFA, it makes too much sense with the PK + hole on the LHD
I don't think he will be our target. I thought we would consider trading for him this season with all the injuries we had but I don't believe we were in the mix. He's asking price is not low, it will be tough to fit his contract in if we still want a winger for jack and another depth fwd.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
He may prefer to stay on the west coast, but a guy like Alec Martinez could maybe make some sense? Ian Cole?

May depend a lot on what Fitz is shopping for though. Is he looking to push Siegs down or replace Bahl.
Martinez is declining but still averaged like 19 minutes last year, should be more of a Plan C at his age. Cole I don't want to touch with the allegations against him a few years ago, even if investigation found nothing it just seems like a bad look after the McLeod stuff.

Reactions: Forge

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
- LD
- could play top 4

- Dermott
- Aho (too small?)
Dillon

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Do I love it? No.

Do I hate it? No.

Will I bitch about it? No.

Am I hungry? Yes.

🥪