Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I suppose if you get a good enough LHD that can kill 2+ minutes a night on average a long with Marino... then you can limit your 2nd groups time somewhat?

What's your solution? Because it seems like your solution is to send Nemec to the AHL and sign a PKer in his place. Or are you suggesting they trade Dougie for a PKer? Or play 11/7 all year?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Let's suppose the best case scenario...

Is making the playoffs and getting bounced in a round or maybe even two worth a middle 1st round pick and Bahl?

I don't know at this point I don't think we should be unloading the chambers to just make the playoffs. It seems shortsighted.
the offseason hasn’t even started, i doubt very much fitz is done. let’s see what other moves he makes.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, it's a rough spot. There's just no goalies that are available that I really felt all that comfortable with. Even Ullmark, I don't trust him to handle the workload even though he's a better goalie night in, night out. I want no part of Gibson or Elvis.

I'd have liked to take a chance on Gustavsson or Knight, but there certainly some risk there as well and you could kind of just tell that Fitz was probably going to "shoot higher".

I have concerns about the age, but Markstrom playing at a good level last year probably makes them feel comfortable that he's still capable of playing well next year. I'm wary of the cliff approaching, but nobody ever predicts when the cliff actually happens, especially after a good year. So I kind of get it.

I can’t wait for the bitching if/when Kahkonen has better numbers than Markstrom next year.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I already posted the stats.

Markstrom + Allen last year were 28.6 goals saved above expected better than Vanacek/Daws/Schmid were. It’s a pretty significant upgrade.
If last summer you posted Vitek’s previous season stats, it would have looked like we would be fine with him too. How’d that work out?

This team was a train wreck defensively this year, and xG is a wildly flawed metric that cannot be looked at in a vacuum. This kind of comparison is useless.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bahl came into this season with 66 NHL games over 3 seasons....

Luke 2
Nemec 0
Nemec was always playing this season, it was only a matter of how much....no way was he going to get buried in Utica for another full season.
66 Regular season games, over 3 seasons. 77 games total if you include playoffs. That's 88 games if you count the playoffs as twice as important. Which, you know, we all do. 88 games stretched over 3 seasons is basically 100 games played.

We can't know for sure if Nemec would have played at some point. We do know he started the season in the AHL, even when Miller was injured early.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What's your solution? Because it seems like your solution is to send Nemec to the AHL and sign a PKer in his place. Or are you suggesting they trade Dougie for a PKer? Or play 11/7 all year?

Nemec should PK. You learn how to PK by doing it. He had PK time last year and it should be increased.

We’ll still more to replace Smith/Bahl but Nemec did fine on the PK last year.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I love how this board props up guys after they leave like Bahl, he was utter garbage last year and one of the bigger issues on the backend with how his play fell from 2023 playoff levels. If Siegs is the 3LD in talent/depth chart, it's a very good thing for the roster. Hatakka also outplayed him in the limited time he got
Because 23 year old defenseman rarely hit their ceiling after like 140 games? Esp when thrust into first pair roles they aren't ready for and they are frigging 6'6'.

Look, the guy isn't exactly going to bloom into Chara, but small, non physical team who already needed a physical defense first Dman as their biggest need just got smaller and weaker and got one or two years of a very good goaltenders IF WE ARE REALLY LUCKY.

you guys know what I think about goaltenders playing behind bad teams. I don't see how we got better here.

Jake Allen was frigging terrific and didn't fix the problem and we actually just got worse before you even factor the 10oa in.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If last summer you posted Vitek’s previous season stats, it would have looked like we would be fine with him too. How’d that work out?

This team was a train wreck defensively this year, and xG is a wildly flawed metric that cannot be looked at in a vacuum.

Vanecek in 22-23 was 5.6 goals saved above expected, good for 26th in the NHL. Nothing crazy.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Bad trade imo

We lost size at defense and our first in 2025?

Unbelievable, Markstrom ain't about that hype! Jfc
Size is only useful if the big person plays big. He’s not tough to play against. He had that one amazing shift against the rangers last year and that’s about it.

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023
how can you seriously complain about this deal?!?! a 20 something pick and bahl to fix our cage.. im doing the happy dance this is great

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Because 23 year old defenseman rarely hit their ceiling after like 140 games? Esp when thrust into first pair roles they aren't ready for and they are frigging 6'6'.

Look, the guy isn't exactly going to bloom into Chara, but small, non physical team who already needed a physical defense first Dman as their biggest need just got smaller and weaker and got one or two years of a very good goaltenders IF WE ARE REALLY LUCKY.

you guys know what I think about goaltenders playing behind bad teams. I don't see how we got better here.

Jake Allen was frigging terrific and didn't fix the problem and we actually just got worse before you even factor the 10oa in.

Jake Allen was playing behind half of an NHL team most of the time. Lets be honest about our assessments here..

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think we're going to have to roll with 7 for a while...not all year but frequently.

I like to see Luke become more well rounded and eventually start to PK....but I think we are a couple of years from that honestly

I really hate the fact that Dougie doesn't PK at all...it really complicated things.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Nemec should PK. You learn how to PK by doing it. He had PK time last year and it should be increased.

We’ll still more to replace Smith/Bahl but Nemec did fine on the PK last year.

I feel like people are missing this exact point, the whole point you get a goalie like Markstrom is the added benefit it gives the youth D. They'll make mistakes and goals will probably be scored on them still, it's the maturation of their position in the sport. But it won't be as often and as soft/disgusting as some of the goals last year were at points

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023

you think bahl was physical??? he was only larger than most of our team yes we need a big mean D man now in FA. this was strickly a goalie add

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
66 Regular season games, over 3 seasons. 77 games total if you include playoffs. That's 88 games if you count the playoffs as twice as important. Which, you know, we all do. 88 games stretched over 3 seasons is basically 100 games played.

We can't know for sure if Nemec would have played at some point. We do know he started the season in the AHL, even when Miller was injured early.
Is this girl math?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad