Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I just can't understand getting that up in arms about trading the pick for a guy who is currently junior in high school when the team is ready to compete NOW.

and if the team sucks again next year? Guess what, the pick is top 10 protected, and the GM will likely be fired anyways....

That's probably the best scenario now like the best scenario in '23 was for the team to suck so they could get rid of Lindy

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
This mantra of "easy to find" is really not true....

We've been talking about about adding bottom gritty bottom 6 players, a bottom 6 center, a winger for Jack every off season since 2020...

Big Dmen that can skate well enough to not be a hindrance to your team aren't all that easy to find. We lost two in a row in Graves and Bahl in consecutive years and there is really nothing in the pipeline remotely close to them...

we are in a situation now that they "have to" be replaced with whatever is available. I don't think that is a good situation.
I'm not overvaluing him because he's "big".

Can he play? Sure, a bit. But you should be able to find other guys fairly easily that can take his place on a third pair. His actual performance should not be hard to replicate.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

We've been talking about about adding bottom gritty bottom 6 players, a bottom 6 center, a winger for Jack every off season since 2020...

Big Dmen that can skate well enough to not be a hindrance to your team aren't all that easy to find. We lost two in a row in Graves and Bahl in consecutive years and there is really nothing in the pipeline remotely close to them...

we are in a situation now that they "have to" be replaced with whatever is available. I don't think that is a good situation.

Just like how 'mid to bottom pair' defenseman Adam Larsson was 'easily replaceable' after the Hall trade.

That move might have been fantastic for our offense but it quite literally destabilized our defense for years. There is no such thing as an 'easily replaceable' player.

Reactions: JimEIV

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

yes, there absolutely is. One of the guys that played last year is already better than Bahl (Hatakka)

Bahl was a bottom pairing D with no offensive upside. Every team has guys like that, or can replace guys like that in free agency quite easily.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i have to believe there are reasonable people in this thread who aren’t either slobbering fitz’s knob or claiming the sky is falling.

i think the good news is that we still have #10OA, which we can now use as a trade chip to bring in a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman. hopefully we can also bring back a later 1st or early 2nd in the process.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That's probably the best scenario now like the best scenario in '23 was for the team to suck so they could get rid of Lindy

the best scenario is for the team to suck in 2024-25? What are you even talking about?

Why are you a fan of this team?

Weird stuff.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Fitz is the Tony Khan of GMs. Shiny toy syndrome.

This isn't a good deal in a vacuum, it isn't on paper but because it's an apparent 'name' we should be thrilled.

I'd rather have a stocked prospect pool with solid depth on the NHL level vs selling the farm for a depreciating asset like Jacob f***ing Markstrom.
"Sell the farm," it's one future draft pick and a bad defenseman. One prospect next year isn't going to stock anything.

You're just making up excuses to be angry at this point.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Given how this deal went down, I think it’s pretty clear that none of the other goalies we've speculated about were realistically available.

The posters complaining about how much Markstrom cost really wouldn’t like the return for Ullmark/Saros, let alone Askarov/Swayman (none of whom may have actually been available).

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Alex Barkov is 28, I'll bet he's glad that he has Lundell on the team.

Florida also consistently has traded firsts for talent and has done some of the most unique things in the sport to become a contender after being a door mat for about 15 years. And the Devils can easily draft a center/wing type prospect in 9 days. At this point, I'm fully expecting them to. If anyone hates this trade, they would've despised a Saros or Ullmark trade.

Reactions: NJDevs26

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not overvaluing him because he's "big".

Can he play? Sure, a bit. But you should be able to find other guys fairly easily that can take his place on a third pair. His actual performance should not be hard to replicate.
You put a 6'5 defender on the PK and all lanes get a helluva lot smaller. It's a huge advantage.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
what good is a player they pick in the mid to late teens (in your eyes) NEXT YEAR that won't make the big leagues until our stars are at or approaching 30 years old?

this team needs to figure out if this core has the goods now. They can't wait anymore.
This is like the scene in hook when Robin Williams sees the food for the first time and starts to believe in what the lost boys have been saying

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Have you ever noticed how fans who are unhappy seem to stay that way?

And somehow, it never has much to do with the team's results. It's always some unnamed "future" which is being burnt to the ground.

Reactions: HBK27

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I’m broken
Wait until the off-season plays out. Maybe you’ll get a foote holtz on a different handle.
2024: The Rise of Hatakka
IMG_3069.jpeg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Given how this deal went down, I think it’s pretty clear that none of the other goalies we've speculated about were realistically available.

The posters complaining about how much Markstrom cost really wouldn’t like the return for Ullmark/Saros, let alone Askarov/Swayman (none of whom may have actually been available).
There's a reason none have been moved, or that Helle wasn't moved

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And not for nothing but when your franchise legend at that position and a member of your front office publicly rates Markstrom as a top five goalie, you've already given up a lot of your limited leverage lol

People have been complaining we needed an average goalie for years though, we get an average goalie...BUT WHY HIM? AND AT THAT COST?!

I have not been one of those people. Yes, goalie was a need, but many other positions that more impact the outcome of games are too. We will see I suppose. A new coach helps.

Reactions: Blackjack

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That's sadly a really good comparison lol...and we know with hindsight how close Shero was to getting fired considering he got the sack a few months later when it didn't work out.

I'm not on the fence one way or another. I think it's understanding the fact where this team is that they need to be given every opportunity to be really good. Just prospect hoarding and other sorts is fun but it's not how you build a team

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
who is doing that?

I even initially said I was "meh" on the trade.
I'm still meh on it overall...but I'm pretty confident I would have been just as up in arms as anyone over the mint (and contract) we would have had to give up for any other goalie. Meh looks pretty good compared to an ACTUAL nuke the farm disaster deal.

Reactions: devilsblood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad