Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I'm okay with this. I don't like giving up first rounders, but that it's at least top-10 protected helps it a little. We still have a thin pipeline in some spots so having no 2nd and no 1st so often has hurt. That said, $6M for two above-average goalies should be a huge change. We still have Schmid, Daws, Poulter, Brennan, and Malek in the pipeline, so there's more room to do things. Bahl was never going to be more than a #6 or #7 here, and with Hatakkah, Vilen, (list goes on) there's less risk in dealing him.

We also didn't hurt our forward depth which likely someone like Ullmark or for sure Saros would have required. I'd have preferred someone a few years younger though.

It's done, we have it, what's next?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Take out Bahl and replace with Hatakka, misyul, vilen and I'm not sure the team will be worse off moving forward. His subtraction isn't a big deal for me
No. They can't be trying to contend with a left side of Siegs-Luke-Prospect. Disaster waiting to happen.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What conversation, the we need a goalie conversation? If we have that then that's problematic because by then you would think at least one of Daws, Schmid or Poulter would do enough to get entrusted with 1A minutes. Fitz clearly didn't want to do that again in the near-term but eventually they'll have to **** or get off the pot with all three.

Yes, that conversation. But I did prefer Markstrom over Saros and the price for Ullmark would have been crazy scary.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
No. They can't be trying to contend with a left side of Siegs-Luke-Prospect. Disaster waiting to happen.

That goes for Bahl too, which is why I think he's out the door. I think the intention now was always to add a guy to that side

But moving forward, Bahl is not a substantial upgrade from those prospects. Bahl is barely out of that prospect category himself

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Devils should sign LD UFA.

Its good to save 10OA, I hope Fitz will save it and he isnt as doomed and stupid to trade it.

But we need Skjei. For free. For his salary. Losing three first rounds in a row with 2nd round picks... would be very bad for this depth.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They also couldn't try to contend with a left side of Siegs-Luke-Bahl, so we're still in a similar boat of needing an upgrade there while also getting a starting goalie

Yeah an ideal offseason before this trade would have Bahl sitting on the bench all year because we brought in someone to push Siegs down and Bahl out

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
JimEIV has a point on the PK. I do think Keefe will be revamping EVERYTHING so I hope that includes the PK. Just seeing what Knoblauch did with Edmonton on PK gives me hope that a coach can change this.

Edit: I also am happy for Bahl because I think in Calgary he will get a lot more playing time and a shot at being a true regular in the league, and I think he will be successful.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
That's a really good deal, Bahl is a replacement level player and a (hopefully) late first next year that's top-10 protected isn't a steep price at all.

Markstrom & Allen should give us decent goaltending for the next couple of years while we search for a long term solution in net, plus the retention on both means our tandem costs all of about ~$6m which should allow us to strengthen significantly in other areas.

Lastly I'm not at all sad to see Bahl leave, we clearly need an upgrade on the left side; as much as I like Siegenthaler he has his limitations and Hughes is still super green and likely another few years away from consistently performing at an elite level. Even Hatakka looked better than Bahl when he played anyway, there's simply no way we should have been going into this season with Bahl penciled into a starting role if we expect to contend.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That goes for Bahl too, which is why I think he's out the door. I think the intention now was always to add a guy to that side

But moving forward, Bahl is not a substantial upgrade from those prospects. Bahl is barely out of that prospect category himself

In theory if he grew into his role he would have been very important for this team. I understand that is a big if.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I'm quite a bit higher on Bahl than most, it seems. A kid that put up strong defensive metrics in the NHL despite playing tough competition. That's much farther along the development curve than a guy like Hattaka. And he's still 23.

Regardless, Fitz needs to find a top-four LHD and there are pretty much none on the UFA market. He also needs a top-six forward.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Does this make it more likely that Casey makes the team out of camp?

I can’t imagine it’s the plan to roll with three young defensemen. More likely Fitz goes and gets another defenseman via trade or UFA. But moving Bahl did free up a spot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah and we're still short a PK Dman AFTER we replace Bahl.
And who are you punting to get a fourth PK D-man, Marino or Siegs who already play there? Luke, Nemec and Dougie are going nowhere.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Devils should sign LD UFA.

Its good to save 10OA, I hope Fitz will save it and he isnt as doomed and stupid to trade it.

But we need Skjei. For free. For his salary. Losing three first rounds in a row with 2nd round picks... would be very bad for this depth.
There are basically no legit top-four LHD on the market other than Skjei. He's going to have a ton of teams chasing him and the price will be astronomical.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I like the trade. All rumors out there seem to indicate Markstrom was the best of all the bad options. There was no one NJ could sign, and it's unclear how available Saros and Ullmark really are, especially if they need extensions for any trade to go down. Markstrom at 2 years is maybe the best option because he can't sign an extension and should be a good bet to deliver NHL caliber goaltending for two years.

I like that Fitz was aggressive cause this offseason looks dreadful for any team looking to acquire goaltending, and this acquisition price is good for a 4m dollar starter signed for 2 years. The only other name that intrigued me was Spencer Knight which would have been ballsy as hell but not a good choice for an organization desperately in need of stability moreso than the potential of getting a multiyear starter in the pipeline.

I also really like that NJ didn't trade down from 10 in this draft, the prospect pipeline is currently pretty sad, and whoever they draft likely is their no. 1 prospect immediately, and could be in the NHL within 2 years, probably 4 max.

A win/win trade, great work by Fitz imo.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They also couldn't try to contend with a left side of Siegs-Luke-Bahl, so we're still in a similar boat of needing an upgrade there while also getting a starting goalie
The hope is they've solved their goaltending issues but...goalies man.

The LDH market is very bad. Fitz will have to work to upgrade there.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Giving up big assets for a non-elite goaltender is a strategy with a great track record.

On the other hand, we never see goalies get picked up off the scrap heap for dirt cheap and turn out to be as good as or better than much more expensive options.

Nice job Fitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad