Speculation: G - Erik Portillo, LA Kings (RFA)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Followed him fairly closely during his college career at Michigan but not as much in the AHL.

With the Kings carrying three goalies over 30 years old the one who doesn't win the backup job figures to be with the Ontario Reign.

At the moment the only other goalie under contract with the Kings is Team Canada U18 gold medal winner Carter George.

Where does Portillo fit in and what is his long-term potential as an NHL starter one day?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He’s a real solid goalie prospect. I followed him closer when he was with Buffalo but it looks like he had a good first AHL season. I’ve always thought he had NHL starter upside so I’m not surprised he played well immediately his first pro season. I wish things could have gone differently in Buffalo but the timelines just weren’t there and he made the right call wanting to move on to a more open situation. Splitting the net with Levi in Rochester wouldn’t have done either any good. I wish him well and the Kings have a good opportunity to let him take the majority of the net in the AHL this year and keep developing him.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not sure if this qualifies as a "Value of..." thread. After reading the title, I came to say he's not for trade unless we get a better goaltending prospect that is almost or is NHL ready.

Made it because I was looking through RFA's. More so what type of contract is he worth as opposed to what he would bring back in a deal.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Made it because I was looking through RFA's. More so what type of contract is he worth as opposed to what he would bring back in a deal.
On one hand, we (HFKingers) feel that his spot and role in our organization is important. In fact it's WAY TOO important if the roster was being managed properly.

Normally if someone came up to us and said, here's a top 15 first round pick for your young goalie prospect Portillo, we should be "where do I sign?" But right now, the cupboard is so bare, I'm not even sure we can trade for that. He's not even considered a top 10 prospect position-ally speaking. Why? Because he's all we got and it would cost at least that or more to get an equal or better at that position and age/development.

On the other hand, I believe his contract is relatively controlled and he has 0 NHL games.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Followed him fairly closely during his college career at Michigan but not as much in the AHL.

With the Kings carrying three goalies over 30 years old the one who doesn't win the backup job figures to be with the Ontario Reign.

At the moment the only other goalie under contract with the Kings is Team Canada U18 gold medal winner Carter George.

Where does Portillo fit in and what is his long-term potential as an NHL starter one day?
He still has waiver exempt time for 24/25. Unless he wind the job he is going back to the A

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

Portillo will run the AHL net next season and get the backup NHL role the following year, maybe taking the net if Kuemper or others struggle (as the plan by LA management). Look for him to be "the guy" in LA in 2 to 3 years or sooner if all goes right for him.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
2019 is sneakily turning into a deep draft and Portillo so far with the way he has performed in college and AHL looks poised to be a true number 1 netminder for the Kings in the near future and im excited for it . I think he takes over either next year or the following year . Hes 6’6 224 lbs and a very good positionally sound goalie who seems to have star potential .

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I really like Portillo as an NHL netminder. I wanted the Avs to sign him when he was available but LA swooped in there.

He has really taken the long hard road to develop and that usually pays off for goalies.

Talent/potential-wise, he is on par with guys like Annunen (COL), Blomqvist (PIT), Sogaard (OTT), Silovs (VAN), Stevenson (WSH), Zherenko (STL), Daws (NJD), Hildeby (TOR), and Alnefelt (formerly TBL) as NHL prospects go, IMO. All it takes is one or two things "clicking" or cleaning up in their game for them and next thing you know they are pushing for an NHL spot. With goalies however, the opportunity to play professionally has to be there so Portillo was wise in choosing LA. Sometimes it doesn't work out in the timeframe they are given (Alnefelt) however.

I was kind of shocked that they re-signed Copley but he'll be a good veteran to challenge Portillo and help mentor him in Ontario this year and serve as a emergency callup to LA so that Portillo remains in Ontario and can focus his game there.

As KingsofCali25 pointed out, I would look for Portillo in LA next year as the backup job and then push Kuemper.

Long term: Carter George might have more raw "talent" but he is a different style goalie that probably is four+ years away from being where Portillo is right now.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I really like Portillo as an NHL netminder. I wanted the Avs to sign him when he was available but LA swooped in there.

He has really taken the long hard road to develop and that usually pays off for goalies.

Talent/potential-wise, he is on par with guys like Annunen (COL), Blomqvist (PIT), Sogaard (OTT), Silovs (VAN), Stevenson (WSH), Zherenko (STL), Daws (NJD), Hildeby (TOR), and Alnefelt (formerly TBL) as NHL prospects go, IMO. All it takes is one or two things "clicking" or cleaning up in their game for them and next thing you know they are pushing for an NHL spot. With goalies however, the opportunity to play professionally has to be there so Portillo was wise in choosing LA. Sometimes it doesn't work out in the timeframe they are given (Alnefelt) however.

I was kind of shocked that they re-signed Copley but he'll be a good veteran to challenge Portillo and help mentor him in Ontario this year and serve as a emergency callup to LA so that Portillo remains in Ontario and can focus his game there.

As KingsofCali25 pointed out, I would look for Portillo in LA next year as the backup job and then push Kuemper.

Long term: Carter George might have more raw "talent" but he is a different style goalie that probably is four+ years away from being where Portillo is right now.
To add to this and what you and KingsofCali25 said

I expect him to probably get call up and get a taste this season if he replicates or exceeds last season's performance

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hampton Slukynsky and Carter George are better prospects
but both super far from being NHL ready.

Portillo could , theoretically, step in next season or the season after. No way that Hampton Inn or Curious George are ready.
The Kings goalies are all older and are of questionable talent levels. Portillo wouldn't be available until after Hampton are Carter steal the net and there is a suitable backup.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
but both super far from being NHL ready.

Portillo could , theoretically, step in next season or the season after. No way that Hampton Inn or Curious George are ready.
The Kings goalies are all older and are of questionable talent levels. Portillo wouldn't be available until after Hampton are Carter steal the net and there is a suitable backup.
Oh absolutely Portillo will be in the nhl way beforehand- he is 5 years older than sluk and 6 years older than George but I don’t know if he will be a starter in the NHL.

Slukynsky and George project as both being starters

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With my very unscientific yet flawless reasoning, by 'sounds like a goalie on name alone', Hampton Slukynsky and Carter George are both gonna be oodles better than Erik "seriously you're Swedish and not from San DIego?" Portillo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad