Future "What if...?": Crosby's Final Years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Avs , significant gap , then everyone else. Seems too wholesome for Vegas. Why would Winnipeg be an option ? Not close to home and mediocre club / meh future seemingly . Legitimately asking as I’ve never heard the connection suggested. Like if he wants to play in Canada ( and no Toronto isn’t an option imo barring massive playoff improvement ; even then hard to fathom ) I think Montreal might be a more obvious fit ( ugh I feel gross ) . To be clear I think both would be extreme long shots but I think Habs might have a future edge .

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tampa, he's guaranteed one of Guentzel, Kucherov or both to play with if he comes there.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I really don't think he will leave, but if he were to go...i'd have to think it'd either be to Colorado to chase more Cups with MacKinnon...or a real outside chance that he'd want to go try to win a Cup with a Canadian team. But right now, that looks like it'd be with Edmonton (not realistic cap-wise obviously), Toronto (no chance as he was a Habs fan as a kid), or Vancouver (seems unlikely...but hey...he did score the "golden goal" for Canada in Vancouver, so maybe there's some sentimentality to it). Maybe Winnipeg, but something about that doesn't really fit.

If Montreal were in some sort of a contending window, i could definitely see it as a possibility. But right now...they're still a lot more than a Crosby away. Maybe a few years from now, in his absolute twilight years? But at that point...it feels like he'd just value being a Penguin for his entire career, over a little one year stint with the Habs or whatever.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's even more bizarre in this case because the initial claim was so tame that it didn't even remotely deserve that level of response. The idea is equating Crosby helping McDavid win to what Gretzky did to help Lemieux while they played together in the Canada cup, which isn't a ridiculous claim and is in no way taking away from McDavid's legacy.

I'm not super well versed on it because it was before my time, but from the late 1980s Penguins games that I've seen on Youtube, the broadcasters mentioned more than once how Gretzky helped Lemieux grow into a leadership role and be more than just a points farmer on a bad team. I don't think McDavid needs that kind of help like Lemieux allegedly needed back then, but "veteran helping the talented younger guy develop into a winner" is something the NHL saw with two of its best players ever with Lemieux and Gretzky.
And even *more* bizarre because the original post in question that sparked the unhinged rant was made by an OILERS fan.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Tampa, he's guaranteed one of Guentzel, Kucherov or both to play with if he comes there.

Too bad he'd rather waste away on a line of DOC/Rust

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Crosby talks a bit about his contract status here:

Crosby was asked on Day 1 of the NHL Media Tour in Las Vegas on Monday if he sees a scenario where he does wait out the season to sign that new deal with the Penguins, and he didn't hesitate before saying, "No, no."

"I think I'm pretty optimistic it's going to get done," Crosby added. "I mean, I don't know what day specifically, but it's been really positive. It hasn't been a difficult process at all. So I'm pretty optimistic that something will get done."

Crosby said it's "hard" to put a number on how many years he has left to play at this point.

I think Crosby is just trying to figure out how many years he wants to sign for, since this is going to be his last deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Crosby talks a bit about his contract status here:

I think Crosby is just trying to figure out how many years he wants to sign for, since this is going to be his last deal.
Unless he is getting front loaded deals, which would then result in recapture if he doesn't complete it, does it really matter if he signs for 2 or 4 years? He isn't obligated to play them all out. He could retire after 2 or 3 years into a 4 year contract. If that results in recapture, then so be it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unless he is getting front loaded deals, which would then result in recapture if he doesn't complete it, does it really matter if he signs for 2 or 4 years? He isn't obligated to play them all out. He could retire after 2 or 3 years into a 4 year contract. If that results in recapture, then so be it.

His deal will be a 35+ deal that will stick with the Penguins even after he retires.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His deal will be a 35+ deal that will stick with the Penguins even after he retires.
New 35+ rules in effect. It depends on the structure of the contract. Such as No SB after year 1, and the cash in future years can't be lower than the cap hit would not trigger a recapture if he retires early.
See below:

Basically means, his yearly payment needs to be the same. Be it $8.7, $10, $12 mill per season.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Let me just state something before anything else, because I know there will be people who will want to make fun of this thread. I do believe that Crosby will finish his career in Pittsburgh. So, if he ends up signing somewhere else as a FA or gets traded this season, I will be shocked. This is just done for fun.

With that said, Crosby has yet to sign a new contract with the Pens, and some journalists, experts, fans, etc. have started talking about what other team could possibly try to get Crosby. The teams that get the most mentions (as far as I can tell) are: Detroit, Colorado, Winnipeg, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Montreal.

Now my questions for everyone here are pretty simple. IF Crosby ended up not staying in Pittsburgh, which of these six teams do you think would be more likely to get him? What percentage chance would you give each of these teams to obtain Sid? And, finally, is there another team not mentioned here that you could see gunning for him?

I'll start.

1) Colorado (30%)
2) Las Vegas (20%)
3) Detroit (20%)
4) Dallas (15%)
5) Montreal (10%)
6) Winnipeg (5%)
His boyhood team Montreal. Habs should have good season with 20 million coming off their cap next summer. It's lining up

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The idea that Sid will leave for rebuilding Montreal is true Habs fans delusion lol
Their D and G is far from a contending team.

Again, so long as Sid is paid the same amount per season, the term really doesn't matter. He could retire before the expiration of the contract. If he's looking at pocketing some extra money, then yes, Pitt is going to eat dead cap.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
As much as I would love to see Crosby skate alongside Mack, it is like a 1% chance or less. He is a Penguin for life, as it should be
Fine, twist my rubber arm. Mac can come play for the Pens.

Sid confirmed to multiple people this week its a done deal. Hes just figuring out the length he wants. Hes not going anywhere and the idiots in the media can stop saying he is.

• Haha
Reactions: Jixer19

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Hes coming to Montreal for the chance to play with Ivan Demidov which Sid has told people would be the biggest honour of his career

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
final years?

he doesn't play an overly physical game or anything like that where his body would wear down, so i could see him playing into his early 40s while still putting up decent numbers. he's not going anywhere either

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Because the goal would be to go to a team already at the top and adding Crosby would put them over the top, not a team that needs him to be considered near the top of the league

That's the thing. Sid's always been the straw that mixes the drink. I don't think he wants to be the Hula girl doll attached to the rearview mirror in the Ferrari, he wants to matter, big time.

Now listen, Crosby stays in Pittsburgh 99% BUT if the Habs can squeeze into the playoffs this season then he may be tempted to play the mentor/last piece for the Habs like a Trottier on the Pens type situation for their 25/26 season.

Also if you guys were looking for another reason for him to be attached to the Habs once upon a time many moons ago his dad was a Canadiens prospect. So maybe full circle and all that BS.

Attachments

• tumblr_208b71b23c16dded9c1e143accf2a535_a9400558_400.jpg
    tumblr_208b71b23c16dded9c1e143accf2a535_a9400558_400.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
final years?

he doesn't play an overly physical game or anything like that where his body would wear down, so i could see him playing into his early 40s while still putting up decent numbers. he's not going anywhere either
Have you ever watched crosby. The guys been grinding down low in the corners and going to the net for 20 years now.

Reactions: sanscosm

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Have you ever watched crosby. The guys been grinding down low in the corners and going to the net for 20 years now.
grinding in the corners isn't exactly something that'll wear your body down if you've got the footwork, elusiveness, and lower body strength that crosby has

and it's not like he makes his living in front of the net like let's say perry does. he welcomes contact but his game isn't reliant on that and he has the strength to absorb it

Ad

Upcoming events

• Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00