Future of the HOH Top 100 list project

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
As we all know, the last project stopped at 70. IIRC, FissionFire has since told us that the original files may have been lost to a hard drive failure.

I think most of us want to see the list completed. There are two possible ways to start:

1) Continue where we left off - everyone re-submits a list from 71-120 and we continue where we left off.

Benefits: Continuity and efficiency

There had been discussion about "locking" the top 100 list for 5 years or so after 2009 and working on lists by position in the meantime. This is closer to the original plan.

2) Start over. It's been several years already. Everyone submits a list from 1-120.

Benefits: Ability to take into account new information discovered about older players (like Nighbor) and active players who added quite a bit to their legacies (Lidstrom) could give us a more accurate list.

Feel free to use this thread for any other discussions about procedures for the project going forward.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Huge undertaking but my vote would be start over to get a complete list as current as possible and then lock it for a while.

As you mentioned there are current players who have added to their legacy in the time since the list was being worked on before.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
As we all know, the last project stopped at 70. IIRC, FissionFire has since told us that the original files may have been lost to a hard drive failure.

I think most of us want to see the list completed. There are two possible ways to start:

1) Continue where we left off - everyone re-submits a list from 71-120 and we continue where we left off.

There had been discussion about "locking" the top 100 list for 5 years or so after 2009 and working on lists by position in the meantime. This is closer to the original plan.

2) Start over. It's been several years already. Everyone submits a list from 1-120.

Benefits: Ability to take into account new information discovered about older players (like Nighbor) and active players who added quite a bit to their legacies (Lidstrom) could give us a more accurate list.

Feel free to use this thread for any other discussions about procedures for the project going forward.

No!!! All of us don't know. For example, I don't know what you're talking about. So you, or someone else, are welcome to tell.
"Stopped at 70"?? "1-120"?? "Fissionfire"??

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
No!!! All of us don't know. For example, I don't know what you're talking about. So you, or someone else, are welcome to tell.
"Stopped at 70"?? "1-120"?? "Fissionfire"??

Stickied thread at the top of this board (currently the second one down). HOH Top 100 list (2009 update) has been a list of only 70 names for a long time.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
I would say start over. Many players have added to their legacies (Selanne, Lidstrom, Brodeur) and some new users have also not been included.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I would say start over. Many players have added to their legacies (Selanne, Lidstrom, Brodeur) and some new users have also not been included.

Agree with your first point, but your second point could go both ways.

To me, changing the pool of voters is not a good reason to start over. There were some very knowledgeable posters who worked on the old lists, who I don't see around much anymore. If we did start over, I would want to actively recruit a lot of the older posters to participate.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Stickied thread at the top of this board (currently the second one down). HOH Top 100 list (2009 update) has been a list of only 70 names for a long time.

I've seen it, and read parts of it (not all 100+ pages), and thought it has seemed interesting.
But I haven't understood much about the project(?).
I have searched a couple of times, to try to find more info about it. How it works, etc., but not been very successful.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Agree with your first point, but your second point could go both ways.

To me, changing the pool of voters is not a good reason to start over. There were some very knowledgeable posters who worked on the old lists, who I don't see around much anymore. If we did start over, I would want to actively recruit a lot of the older posters to participate.

Very fair point. Its very hard not to get people who are biased one way or another (old time hockey vs. more modern times) as well as people who actually saw players like Bossy, Gretzky, Howe, Orr play in their primes. Many posters (my self included) don't think of Gretzky in an Oilers jersey because I never saw him play for Edmonton. My thinking is the more people voting the more this biased is fixed as many different view points are included.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011

If you choose to start over, you won't delete what already exists, right?
If starting over, one would be able to eventually compare the two lists (I assume the project is about ranking players).

Regarding the knowledgable persons you mentioned, it sounds like a good idea to try to actively recruit them.

No matter, the World would anyway eventually know what these oldies thought, as the current list would still be around to read.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would say start over and leave the 2009 list as a Top 71.

Not only have players added to their legacies, but new information has come about from some of the great studies done here and elsewhere. It seems unfair to use that information to judge one part of the list but not the other.

Definitely agree with getting those older posters back.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I would say start over and leave the 2009 list as a Top 71.

Not only have players added to their legacies, but new information has come about from some of the great studies done here and elsewhere. It seems unfair to use that information to judge one part of the list but not the other.

Agree alot with this gentleman, and I would definitely be part of the process if we start over.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I voted for continue where we left off but I seem to be the only one. I don't see why we should throw out all the hard work & debate that went into the first 70.

I see the point about Lidstrom adding to his legacy though but I would think that he is probably the only guy in the first 70 that would move up much. A guy like Nighbor might get more support this time around but I doubt that he would move any higher than #71.

Maybe a more efficient & faster solution might be to revote the first 70 using the current list as the initial ranking and have everyone compile a 71 to 120 list.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Guarantees

What guarantees are being offered that the project will be completed? Previous wasn't nor a similar one since.

Data was lost. What guarantees are offered that this will not happen again?

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
It seems that option to continue is halfway to a start over if you have to make a new list.

How many of the people involved in 2009 are going to be involved now? If more than a couple are out it is really a different project anyway.

I'd say go with the top 25 goalies/Europeans/Pre-NHL players or something just to change it up so we don't just have the same discussions again. Then go back for another top 100.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
What guarantees are being offered that the project will be completed? Previous wasn't nor a similar one since.

Data was lost. What guarantees are offered that this will not happen again?

It's an Internet message board. Rarely do we ever receive any guarantee. However, I think as a community we are pretty good at completing project we start. The All-Time Draft was started and completed 13 time and we will have another go at it next year.

PS. Pappy, I have the impression that Frank Nighbor will be rank higher than #71 if we start the process over, and in my opinion deservedly so.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It seems that option to continue is halfway to a start over if you have to make a new list.

How many of the people involved in 2009 are going to be involved now? If more than a couple are out it is really a different project anyway.

I'd say go with the top 25 goalies/Europeans/Pre-NHL players or something just to change it up so we don't just have the same discussions again. Then go back for another top 100.

Perhaps this should have been a third option for the poll - forget about the top 100 list for now and work on other lists first.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I'm up for making a new list... I'll only be back in mid august, though, to take part.

Maybe we can do a pre and post expansion top 50 instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad