Value of: Functional Toughness to the Oilers

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I would love WIFI on the Oilers. What's the ask for him?
he's not available - certainly not for what the oilers would offer. And then there'd be a thread on here from fellow habs fans desperate for a trade to add "functional toughness"

*there's already a thread below from habs fans wanting to add to Xhekaj to take some of the toughness burden away from him*

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if Josh Anderson at 50% could be a fit. The retention means the price would be high for what he actually provides, though. But he can be a 3d liner with size and physical play.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I wonder if Josh Anderson at 50% could be a fit. The retention means the price would be high for what he actually provides, though. But he can be a 3d liner with size and physical play.
he's had a good start to the season and I'm not sure hughes is in a rush to move him. I don't think habs have a retention spot available either

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
he's had a good start to the season and I'm not sure hughes is in a rush to move him. I don't think habs have a retention spot available either
His playing well is what makes him movable, and the Habs have a slot free - Petry and Allen are the other players using them. That slot is likely earmarked for a Dvorak, Armia or Savard rental, but if Edmonton sees Anderson as a solution and they'd give up something of value, why not ?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I guess it depends on what the ask is? Does he PK at all?
Honestly, I think what you're asking for is more expensive than you may want to pay...especially if you need to be on the lower end financially.

Look at what guys like Jeannot and Cotter and your very own Mcleod returned this year. Prices are up on these type of pieces.

A 4 / 5 RHD has always been kind of pricey.
In what world is Jeannot and McLeod remotely comparable? McLeod is one of the softest players that I've ever seen play for the Oilers.
Laughton and Hathaway. Either would be a good add for the Oilers. Sadly, the Flyers view them as core pieces. Risto if didn't have 3 years left might interest them as well.

Flip Savioe to the Flyers. Maybe Torts is a Nurse fan.
Don't know much about Laughton but Hathaway is a player that I'd have all kinds of time for.
Is dirty now the same as tough in Edmonton?
Sadly he's one of our toughest and yes he is dirty but at least he isn't a fake tough guy like Backlund.

Reactions: harpoon

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I guess it depends on what the ask is? Does he PK at all?
He's been an occasional PKer in the past, but seems destined to be a regular this season.

The ask is essentially based on his retention - if someone wanted him at full cost, the ask would be minimal, but at 50% I can't imagine it would be less than a couple of seconds, if not a second and a first.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
God's country just outside of Calgary
Sadly he's one of our toughest and yes he is dirty but at least he isn't a fake tough guy like Backlund.
Backlund averages 2 minutes a game in penalties. I don't think he's trying to be a tough guy... fake or otherwise. He's more likely to be found killing penalties than looking to start something. The Oilers would be so lucky to have Backlund as their 3rd line center.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He's been an occasional PKer in the past, but seems destined to be a regular this season.

The ask is essentially based on his retention - if someone wanted him at full cost, the ask would be minimal, but at 50% I can't imagine it would be less than a couple of seconds, if not a second and a first.

No thanks to that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Backlund averages 2 minutes a game in penalties. I don't think he's trying to be a tough guy... fake or otherwise. He's more likely to be found killing penalties than looking to start something. The Oilers would be so lucky to have Backlund as their 3rd line center.
He's a cheap bitch. Funny how you can rightly call out Perry but magically your guy is a saint. Backlund is like Edler was in Vancouver, sneaky dirty.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Functional toughness and 4 th line is a joke, but Bryan thinks it means something
Did you miss Calgary's depth player rocking Drai's head into the glass yesterday? McDavid getting run? Skinner getting slashed and bumped? Apparently so. There is still a role for guys that hit and fight no matter how much you deny it. I'd love a Kane replacement for the top 6 but that isn't happening so a 3rd or 4th line guy is both cheaper and far more realistic.
Never thought Ryan was his brother in terms of his physicality, but never considered him soft. You watched him more than me though, so if that's what you feel, so be it.

Wasn't really the point though
Extremely soft, charmin soft. Holloway on the flip side had grit. Jeannot to Tampa was a huge overpay, not looking at selling what little farm we have left for a player like that. Give me a Hathaway, Deslauriers, Kostin, etc.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
A bit like when Montreal was looking to move Petry, any move has to make sense for the Habs. Retaining that much for less than that return makes no sense for them.

Yes, using the retention spots cost. I understand that, but I don't want Anderson. Even at 50% retention, he's 2.75m on the cap for a guy who doesn't regularly PK or play center. As the other Oilers poster asked if he PK'ed we need a defensive forward for the PK and preference to a right shot center if the cards lined up perfectly. Afterall the guy we need to replace in the forward group as an NHL regular is 4th C Derek Ryan.

Anderson doesn't really address any needs for us to justify moving a pick to add almost 3m to our cap and be into a potential cap problem when Kane's healthy. Zero chance you move 2 picks especially a 1st and end up forced to pay more assets when Kanes healthy to be cap compliant. We might put ourselves into that LTIR relief to address a 2nd pairing RD but not a bottom 6 winger.

I mean what Anderson is worth to someone at 2.75m and what the cost if for the used retention spot is up for debate, but not for the Oilers. He'd be a nonstarter.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yes, using the retention spots cost. I understand that, but I don't want Anderson. Even at 50% retention, he's 2.75m on the cap for a guy who doesn't regularly PK or play center. As the other Oilers poster asked if he PK'ed we need a defensive forward for the PK and preference to a right shot center if the cards lined up perfectly. Afterall the guy we need to replace in the forward group as an NHL regular is 4th C Derek Ryan.

Anderson doesn't really address any needs for us to justify moving a pick to add almost 3m to our cap and be into a potential cap problem when Kane's healthy. Zero chance you move 2 picks especially a 1st and end up forced to pay more assets when Kanes healthy to be cap compliant. We might put ourselves into that LTIR relief to address a 2nd pairing RD but not a bottom 6 winger.

I mean what Anderson is worth to someone at 2.75m and what the cost if for the used retention spot is up for debate, but not for the Oilers. He'd be a nonstarter.
If you don't want him, of course the price seems high.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
A sports psychologist and a shock collar for Nurse is probably a better option than what you're thinking...

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad