Full clip of McDavid's expletive-filled rant at Oilers teammates drops

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I know sarcasm, but these guys know in the back of their mind they're being filmed, and it must add a level of self-consciousness to everything. That takes away from the moment or authenticity. Locker rooms should be private. It's totally possible the pressure of cameras affected his behavior.

Yeah for sure it’s human nature, hard not for to be some small impact albeit on a sub conscious level?

As well media trained as these players are from the junior ranks, documentary filming at all hours is not something they’re brought up with.

Many teams do have in house media teams that have a behind the scenes docuseries but the club has final say as to what gets included and left out, interested to see how they signed off on this program.

Should be a compelling watch, hopefully draws new fans to the sport!

Reactions: Devilsfan2326

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So just normal stuff, they missed the opportunity to make this a very good show about the NHL, I hear the stuff they did nail was things like Landeskog talking about his injury, the rest is mostly fluff piece garbage to either make McDavid not seem boring to everyone or ignoring actual things they should have covered like Nylander's migraines and his decision not to play instead of "Me and Pasta are frands!"

There's so many things that should have been covered, regardless if the NHL shits a brick worrying about how they'd look. Like scandals that hurt the league's image and seeing the impact of that to other players, injuries, family life balance, players that had issues with a coach or GM or Team and were treated like crap, GM's and others talking about the business, etc. Just way more stuff than the boring ass stuff they decided to cover. No offense, even if it was the Pens, I don't give a rat's ass about their locker room dynamics during the playoffs, because there's far better stories they could have gone after and I don't even care if it was a rival team or otherwise.

For this to be the same blokes that did F1 Drive to Survive, they definitely were not given full access because there's a lot that they could have covered in this but didn't and that's clearly the NHL scared shitless to let anyone in because god forbid blokes see it and find the NHL more interesting.

Even if the F1 series had its drama that the series did sort of edit to manufacture for some instances, they mostly got it right for the issues and everything else, about 80% I'd say. But just seeing the NHL stuff reviewed, it's not even as revealing as the Pens vs Caps show years ago.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
They basically get ghosted by everyone for 3 games in an Oilers jersey and he steps the hell up with a voice after having one of the best playoff seasons in decades and people don't like the fire he's showing?

Hell, you'd demand your team captain be this guy come the SCF and if you found out he wasn't you'd be eashamed.

Good on him for being a leader with a voice

Reactions: crowfish

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
They basically get ghosted by everyone for 3 games in an Oilers jersey.
This was game 2. Actually, the end of game 2, where afterwards everyone was going to bed to reset.

I said this elsewhere, but for anyone who's been in a locker room, whenever coaches/players pull this kind of stuff, it tends to have the opposite of the intended effect (again too especially at the end of a game).

And even all that notwithstanding...."be more constructive with your feedback, please" to quote a back-in-the-day pull of Flight Of The Conchords.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
They basically get ghosted by everyone for 3 games in an Oilers jersey and he steps the hell up with a voice after having one of the best playoff seasons in decades and people don't like the fire he's showing?

Hell, you'd demand your team captain be this guy come the SCF and if you found out he wasn't you'd be eashamed.

Good on him for being a leader with a voice
I don't think anyone likes or dislikes the fire he's showing, he's doing what literally everyone expects a leader to do in that situation, if you went back to each season in the same situation for teams with their backs against the wall, you'd see the same stuff. To me that's where I think they failed.

I don't care if it's McDavid, Crosby, or MacKinnon, I think they had an opportunity to show something awesome by giving fans a far better look than previous networks that tried to make the NHL interesting to blokes that would rather watch bowling on ESPN. The impact of F1 Drive to Survive was massive, being an F1 fan for most of my life, I noticed how so many were suddenly interested in it - sure the drama sucked and they corrected that in the most recent season, but the way they showed their lives, the harsh realities of certain situations, etc, they entirely missed that for the NHL series.

Instead, we're discussing McDavid doing normal shit in a situation that for some reason bothers some fans when it shouldn't. I am at most, looking forward to hearing Landeskog talk about dealing with his injury and his path back etc. Because that's a difficult situation and it's at least a story that makes that entire series not seem lame af like some bromance between players on rival teams that really doesn't dig into much of anything.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
He sounds like someone who has given everything he has and it still isn't good enough, so he is pleading for his teammates to give more. If that isn't a captain then I don't know what is. There is a reason they came within 1 goal of game 7 OT and almost completed the greatest comeback in sports history.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Few things I hate more than people who swear to make it seem like their point is more valid. Same with people who raise their voice, clap their hands etc. Swearing in every sentence shows a lack of composure and intelligence.

Reactions: Hammer79

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
If McDavid did this and was a maple leaf, he would be called a true leader and suggested that other players should do it as well

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Just some of the most ridiculous takes in here.

People analyzing his words, his cadence, how the locker room was reacting... lol

They just got back into the room after losing game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final. I really can't understand how some of you think that this wasn't raw emotion and was more like "oh gee, we're in quote the pickle here, I better say something and raise my voice a bit to make it believable!"

Perhaps it's difficult for some people who are scrolling through their phone or sitting at a desk in October to sympathize with the emotion that was likely quite palpable in that room at that moment.

He's obviously extremely driven and passionate about his goals (as all athletes at his level are) and he feels his chances slipping away. Seemed pretty natural to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad