Full clip of McDavid's expletive-filled rant at Oilers teammates drops

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't believe that you only need 1 player to win in basketball, what I do believe is that basketball superstars have a WAY bigger influence on the outcome of a game than a hockey superstar. And that is less of an opinion as it is just plain observable fact.
Doesn’t seem like it.

Wilt is the best example of that. Played the entire game averaging 40+ and 50+ points some years, 9 straight 30+ ppg seasons, all-NBA defense on top and only won once. Dude got taken to the woodshed every year by the much more “win by committee” dynasty Celtics.

Jordan’s 3 best postseasons scoring-wise were all for naught.

Your notion is something that only gets repeated by people who don’t know basketball.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why are we comparing hockey to basketball anyway? If McDavid had the same influence on his sport that a basketball superstar does he would have won 4 straight Cups since 2020-21.
Seriously? The greatest of the greats lead their clubs to championships. The greats, who rank in a lower tier, aren’t great enough to do that. Imo McDavid is in a tier with Dionne. Yes a great player, but not in the greatest tier.

• Haha
Reactions: crowfish

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Pfffft. Performative :sarcasm:

Actually though maybe him blowing up helped spur that amazing turnaround.
I know sarcasm, but these guys know in the back of their mind they're being filmed, and it must add a level of self-consciousness to everything. That takes away from the moment or authenticity. Locker rooms should be private. It's totally possible the pressure of cameras affected his behavior.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I know sarcasm, but these guys know in the back of their mind they're being filmed, and it must add a level of self-consciousness to everything. That takes away from the moment or authenticity. Locker rooms should be private.
Everyone who has watched the video series says that it's almost violating to see the raw emotion McDavid portrays across his two episodes. He's being authentic and not holding back because of the cameras.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Everyone who has watched the video series says that it's almost violating to see the raw emotion McDavid portrays across his two episodes. He's being authentic and not holding back because of the cameras.
I edited in a last sentence. It's a change in behavior he wouldn't even be that aware of... something like a teacher looking over his shoulder as he takes a test. He may have naturally held all that back, if not for the cameras craving a display of emotion. I'm trying to give him some slack because I think it was bad looking.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
You hate to see it...

giphy.gif

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Watched the clip again. The production even has a weird sound tone playing in the background to make it feel worse lol. Why have any tone at all, just play the clip. At least the trainer tried to help him by closing the curtain.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Doesn’t seem like it.

Wilt is the best example of that. Played the entire game averaging 40+ and 50+ points some years, 9 straight 30+ ppg seasons, all-NBA defense on top and only won once. Dude got taken to the woodshed every year by the much more “win by committee” dynasty Celtics.

Jordan’s 3 best postseasons scoring-wise were all for naught.

Your notion is something that only gets repeated by people who don’t know basketball.

I like when I state something that is so obvious that is insane to try and argue against, but then someone tries to anyways lol. Classic.

There are too many ways to prove you are wrong that it's overwhelming, but you can Just look at the advanced statistics and it is clear enough:

Jokic last year won the MVP, he had a winshares of 17, meaning he was worth roughly 17 wins to his team.
MacKinnon last year won the MVP with a pointshares of 16, meaning he was worth roughly 16 standing points (8 wins) to his team.

NBA stars are literally on the court for double the amount that NHL stars are on the ice, and it's even more extreme in the playoffs. There is also the variance of goaltending, which is a massive variable that doesn't exists for NBA stars. Imagine if there was a 6th person on the court, dedicated to guarding the hoop lol.

Seriously? The greatest of the greats lead their clubs to championships. The greats, who rank in a lower tier, aren’t great enough to do that. Imo McDavid is in a tier with Dionne. Yes a great player, but not in the greatest tier.

That is one of the worst takes I have heard. McDavid with Dionne? lol. Please for the love of god educate yourself on hockey history so you won't embarrass yourself with comments like this.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
As non Oilers fan I’m not seeing the problem here. Can the Canes room borrow him a few times a season?

This is historically been a common place thing in locker rooms, not one thing odd about it.

You don’t think Crosby has done the same exact thing about 20 times in his career? You’re nuts if you don’t.
He wasn't known as Crybaby Crosby the first half of his career for nothing.

Or they're fortunate enough to play on teams with great depth, solid d cores, and clutch goaltending.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad