Full clip of McDavid's expletive-filled rant at Oilers teammates drops

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
A thin line between complaining and motivating... feels like throwing a tantrum. Venting maybe? He might as well have said "I want it, I want it, i want it!" about a toy in the store or something. Same vibe... saying "this happens every single time"... seems really bitter about his teammates. Like he's outwardly blaming them.

Other players across the league are gonna chirp him for sure...especially Marchand.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Exactly! The Oilers should keep this stuff private. McDavid didn’t win.
This wasn't the Oilers decision.

The Amazon Prime series was filmed, edited, and released by Box to Box Films, an independent film crew. The Oilers and NHL gave them final editorial control over what was released. McDavid's transparency was part of a push by Marty Walsh and NHLPA telling the players that if they want more revenue they need to play ball with the media and fans more.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

The Amazon Prime series was filmed, edited, and released by Box to Box Films, an independent film crew. The Oilers and NHL gave them final editorial control over what was released. McDavid's transparency was part of a push by Marty Walsh and NHLPA telling the players that if they want more revenue they need to play ball with the media and fans more.
Thanks for the clarification. That’s all too bad. I’m sure McDavid is as embarrassed as he was embarrassingly bad in that video, considering he lost.

• Haha
Reactions: McPoyle

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Other players across the league are gonna chirp him for sure...especially Marchand.
It's reported that Marchand was made to look pathetic in the series. Tkachuk chirping him for quitting on his team in the playoffs.

Apparently the film crew gives Tkachuk and his family a good knob polishing. Nobody on the Panthers besides him even matters enough to be featured. Matthew won the Cup himself despite being a dud in the Finals

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Comparing them this way completely favours McDavid and ignores context.

If you go by seasons played, Jordans ninth season was 92-93, not only had he just won three straight championships, he was a 3x MVP, 1x DPOY and scored the most points seven straight years.
The context is that despite his greatness, even Jordan couldn’t win until he had the right pieces around him. Nothing about that would’ve changed had he started in the NBA 2 or 3 years earlier, like you’re seemingly trying to suggest. This fact is either lost on you, or you’re just trying really hard to double down on your lame failed slight on McDavid because you want to save face. Take the L.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011

I was wondering the same thing. This should be private and between the players. We can't use just one instance of emotion to make someone look bad or look good, but that's what the media sells.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Sounds like a tantrum that I would have on Xbox live as a 19 year old. Not exactly inspiring but maybe some get motivated by that lol

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds like a tantrum that I would have on Xbox live as a 19 year old. Not exactly inspiring but maybe some get motivated by that lol
The irony is MacDavid still lost. The “tantrum” didn’t work. Add to that he didn’t get a point in game seven. He has his tantrum. Screams at his teammates about how they need to be better. And then, when it’s the biggest game of all their careers, he doesn’t show up! This just looks really bad for McDavid.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Comparing them this way completely favours McDavid and ignores context.

If you go by seasons played, Jordans ninth season was 92-93, not only had he just won three straight championships, he was a 3x MVP, 1x DPOY and scored the most points seven straight years.

Why are we comparing hockey to basketball anyway? If McDavid had the same influence on his sport that a basketball superstar does he would have won 4 straight Cups since 2020-21.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
McDavid has the 4th all time lead in points in a single playoff run, if anyone is allowed to do this it's him. As far as im concerned this is beyond expected especially from your captain and best player after you are down 2-0 in the finals. This just goes to show how lacking the behind the scenes coverage is that people are mad at this.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
And still terrified. The fact that you brought it up says as much
Connor? nah, his team doesn't frighten me, and besides I was being funny :). Connor is a guy you love to hate but you have to respect the hell out of him just for what he brings out on the ice. If we have learned anything from last year, it's that winning the Cup is a TEAM sport. Last year proved it.

It did get me to thinking that, if Connor was on a different team that didn't squander precious time in the beginning with all the high picks a team like the Oilers had, that they could have built a legit dynasty. Instead it's one good idea, three bad ones. I've always wondered why Connor decides to stay in Edmonton at this point. After the batshit ownership and front office the Oilers had when he was drafted in, I would absolutely want out long before now.

Folks say he stays for the money and I don't think so. And no, I'm not going to quote Mel Brooks and say that he's staying not for money, but for a SH*TLOAD of money - he's not there for money, the guy really wants to hoist the Cup in Edmonton but there's one too many turkeys on that team getting in the way while he soars like an eagle.

If the Oilers don't win a Cup, it's absolutely NOT because of Connor, it's in spite of all of his contributions. That locker room and front office should be ashamed of itself.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Why are we comparing hockey to basketball anyway? If McDavid had the same influence on his sport that a basketball superstar does he would have won 4 straight Cups since 2020-21.
Jordan didn’t win shit until he had his supporting cast. Dude was dropping 50 and 60 point games in the playoffs and it wasn’t enough. Wilt averaged 50 points per game in a season, another 40+, and multiple 30 ppg seasons in a row and only won once. Lebron has needed a super team to win every one of his 4 championships. This meme perpetuated around here that one player is all it takes to win in basketball needs to end. It’s never been true.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Jordan didn’t win shit until he had his supporting cast. Dude was dropping 50 and 60 point games in the playoffs and it wasn’t enough. Wilt averaged 50 points per game in a season, another 40+, and multiple 30 ppg seasons in a row and only won once. Lebron has needed a super team to win every one of his 4 championships. This meme perpetuated around here that one player is all it takes to win in basketball needs to end. It’s never been true.

I don't believe that you only need 1 player to win in basketball, what I do believe is that basketball superstars have a WAY bigger influence on the outcome of a game than a hockey superstar. And that is less of an opinion as it is just plain observable fact.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Before Game 6 of the 2012 Finals, with the Kings facing a very tough game 7 in Jersey if they lost 6 at home, Justin Williams calmly took the room and told his nervous teammates that after working that hard to get there that he wanted to look at the faces next to him and remember them as winners when they saw each other throughout the rest of their lives - and that they owed a debt to the sacrifices their families had made for them to get to this moment to have the chance to prove themselves.

There are lots of different ways to inspire a group to coalesce into something greater than the some of its parts. Screaming like a petulant child is NOT one of them.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Connor? nah, his team doesn't frighten me, and besides I was being funny :). Connor is a guy you love to hate but you have to respect the hell out of him just for what he brings out on the ice. If we have learned anything from last year, it's that winning the Cup is a TEAM sport. Last year proved it.

It did get me to thinking that, if Connor was on a different team that didn't squander precious time in the beginning with all the high picks a team like the Oilers had, that they could have built a legit dynasty. Instead it's one good idea, three bad ones. I've always wondered why Connor decides to stay in Edmonton at this point. After the batshit ownership and front office the Oilers had when he was drafted in, I would absolutely want out long before now.

Folks say he stays for the money and I don't think so. And no, I'm not going to quote Mel Brooks and say that he's staying not for money, but for a SH*TLOAD of money - he's not there for money, the guy really wants to hoist the Cup in Edmonton but there's one too many turkeys on that team getting in the way while he soars like an eagle.

If the Oilers don't win a Cup, it's absolutely NOT because of Connor, it's in spite of all of his contributions. That locker room and front office should be ashamed of itself.
I think had they won this spring, both would have been gone. But I think Leon and Connor desperately want to win, and their best chance is with the other guy on the same team.

But yeah, a complete waste of half a career so far of one of the best players we'll ever get to watch.

Reactions: BlueSeal

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Before Game 6 of the 2012 Finals, with the Kings facing a very tough game 7 in Jersey if they lost 6 at home, Justin Williams calmly took the room and told his nervous teammates that after working that hard to get there that he wanted to look at the faces next to him and remember them as winners when they saw each other throughout the rest of their lives - and that they owed a debt to the sacrifices their families had made for them to get to this moment to have the chance to prove themselves.

There are lots of different ways to inspire a group to coalesce into something greater than the some of its parts. Screaming like a petulant child is NOT one of them.
If everyone could be just a bit more like Justin Williams, we'd all have stanley cup rings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad