Full Body vs Split

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Both can work with good results. Key is change. Do a full body for a month, then the next month do split.

I personally focus on one or two muscle groups per workout. Chest day, leg day, back day etc. But i have the time to workout 6-7 days a week.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It all depends on your goals. Personally I break it down like this:
Sunday - squat
Monday - bench
Tuesday - accessory work (usually shoulder/back work)
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - deadlift
Friday - rest
Saturday - rest

I’m also training as a competitive powerlifter vs overall strength and fitness so the actually movements/accessory work is a bit different. The main compound movements usually take up a bit of time due to the amount of us that train together (anywhere from 4-8 people) and how much weight/volume used each day.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
PPL is my goto while doing my strongest body part only once a week.

doing 5 days a week at the moment.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
The everything in one day is the beginners workout. Three times a week is too much unless you are doing a light workout then you are not giving your muscles enough time to recover.

Splitting up body parts allows you to hit more exercises per body part and you can go every day since you are not working the same muscles on consecutive days.

Reactions: Sideline and DaveG

steleh

Nov 8, 2013
In my experience, there is simply no way I could do full body workouts. I can only sustain the volume and intensity needed to grow muscle for about an hour, an hour 15 minutes. Then I'm mentally and physically done. A full body workout would involve far too many excercises and sets, and take far too long. The back half of the workout would just be me going through the motions without intensity. Would be a junk workout.

Better to so push pull legs. Even upper lower is a bit much for most people.

The key is not just doing the workout, the key is doing it with intention and intensity.

Reactions: Power Man and DaveG

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Back in the day I really used to split it up. Now I like full-body workouts, in the interest of time mostly. It's also a bit like cardio since I do supersets with weights. Then I'll do true cardio a different day. The weights days are short and sweet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I prefer to keep it split. Right now I run it like this:

Mon: AM - cardio/body weight exercises, PM - back/biceps full workout
Tues: PM - chest/triceps full workout
Wed: AM - cardio/body weight exercises, PM - hockey
Thur: PM - cardio/abs full workout
Fri: PM - volleyball
Sat: AM - hockey
Sun: off

I do legs/shoulders too just takes me more than a week to hit everything bc of the sports days

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If I had a consistent schedule where I can guarantee the days I could make it to the gym I'd probably be more likely to do full body workouts. I prefer the idea of them.

However with my current schedule and lifestyle I often go to the gym on back to back days so it wouldn't be smart to train the same muscle groups without the rest in between.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
currently doing a 4 day rotation PPL rest. May move to something where I hyper-focus on one muscle group per day but I like the current rotation and hitting legs every 4th day. Most of the more focused splits that I've seen have legs just once a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad