OT: FUBAR in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
The only way you have a chance of stopping this without using military force is going nuclear on the sanctions. No trading with Russia, or anyone who does. Make China choose between the European and North American markets or Russian markets. No muddy middle.

So some kind of embargo?

Reactions: MinJaBen

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I can no longer hold it in.

I wish death, pain, and suffering upon every Russian participating in this war. I don't believe in hell, I just hope they will experience it.

I completely get how you feel but large majority of them don't really have a choice in the matter...

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I completely get how you feel but large majority of them don't really have a choice in the matter...
I am not saying it's a righteous feeling.
Poles and more importantly Slovaks border with Ukraine. I find the idea of Russia bordering with the nation of my friends and my love repulsive to put it gently.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I am not saying it's a righteous feeling.
Poles and more importantly Slovaks border with Ukraine. I find the idea of Russia bordering with the nation of my friends and my love repulsive to put it gently.

Yes, I was also thinking about borders and I am very worried about the Hungarian one, having more or less understood what a bad person Orban is.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
At a baseline, Russia should be expelled from the UN Security Council

What this will likely end up doing is cause a rapid nuclearization of the nations surrounding Russia. Ukraine agreed to denuclearize in 1994 with a treaty that said Russia recognized them as a sovereign nation and would never invade them. Welp, that treaty got thrown in the trash last night.

Oh, and if you don't think China is paying attention in regards to their dealings with Taiwan, I don't know what to tell ya.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The only way you have a chance of stopping this without using military force is going nuclear on the sanctions. No trading with Russia, or anyone who does. Make China choose between the European and North American markets or Russian markets. No muddy middle.

Listening to the news this morning, the EU is trying to have it both ways on this carving out exemptions on high-end goods (Gucci and Lamborghini by Italy for example.)

People, your clientele are exactly the ones who might get to speak to Putin! Those are the first goods you sanction, not the carve-outs.

Also time for the US to flex on the cyber side.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And I'll just throw this out there. I really hope that nobody asks Svech his thoughts on the situation. Mainly because there's no way for him to have an opinion that isn't massively controversial. He supports his home country, and he'll anger everyone else. He denounces the actions, and he could be dealing with a Panarin-like situation quickly with his family back home. Its a no-win, and this goes for every Russian player in the league right now.

And I say this because I'm already seeing some go after Ovi for past comments he's made in support of Putin.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
And I'll just throw this out there. I really hope that nobody asks Svech his thoughts on the situation. Mainly because there's no way for him to have an opinion that isn't massively controversial. He supports his home country, and he'll anger everyone else. He denounces the actions, and he could be dealing with a Panarin-like situation quickly with his family back home. Its a no-win, and this goes for every Russian player in the league right now.

And I say this because I'm already seeing some go after Ovi for past comments he's made in support of Putin.

A simple "no comment I'm just focused on hockey" will do. And he'll likely be asked, media are vultures.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

Yeah... got a friend I used to play with. Born in CZE to Russian parents. Acquired passport later in life.

World's gonna turn several shades of ugly.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Hot take. Give Poland nukes.

And give us Nukes. We are good with nuclear energy (3rd highest percentage of electricity used by a country in Europe).

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

The Swedish STV tried getting a comment from Jokerit goalie Anders Lindbäck who said he can't comment even if he wanted to as the players have been forbade from commenting and told to only point at the official statement by the club. Jokerit denies.

Jokerit also lost a sponsor who also delivers staff to the home game and the Jokerit trademark holding association is demanding the team to withdraw from KHL.

Meanwhile in Russia some hockey bigwig is demanding Jokerit to go away because tgere already was enough whinery from them during the Belarus debacle.

No Liiga team is experiencing any schadenfeude I'm sure.

Reactions: Stubu and DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
The Swedish STV tried getting a comment from Jokerit goalie Anders Lindbäck who said he can't comment even if he wanted to as the players have been forbade from commenting and told to only point at the official statement by the club. Jokerit denies.

Jokerit also lost a sponsor who also delivers staff to the home game and the Jokerit trademark holding association is demanding the team to withdraw from KHL.

Meanwhile in Russia some hockey bigwig is demanding Jokerit to go away because tgere already was enough whinery from them during the Belarus debacle.

No Liiga team is experiencing any schadenfeude I'm sure.
The best way to do it is like this...

We are the best in the world, KHL is not a real competition, we are going home, see you later Asian scrubs.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hot take. Give Poland nukes.

And give us Nukes. We are good with nuclear energy (3rd highest percentage of electricity used by a country in Europe).
Meanwhile in Finland the planned Rosatom nukular plant in Hanhikivi is a hilariously awkward question. The leaders are going by the Putin playbook confirming or denying nothing and just repeating that a security examination will be made during the license procedure.

It may be some security concerns may be found about the enterprise.

Reactions: Stubu

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Yeah, I pretty much agree on just not asking athletes about this stuff. Ovi, along with other prominent Russian athletes, are told by Putin to vocally support the government or face consequences. Russian athletes abroad have two options- love the dictator, or do the Panarin where you can never return home with any assurance of safety. While I'd love to see more moral courage among rich athletes who actually do have a way out, moral courage is admirable precisely because it's rare.

I think it is appropriate to go after Ovi for comments he's made about Putin, I also wouldn't be at all shocked if Ovechkin privately agrees. You do need to make sure pro-dictator narratives don't go unchallenged, it's not about shaming Ovi, it's about making sure that people know that they should not trust or listen to him on the issue.

End of the day, these guys are in a really difficult spot. I'd love them to go full Panarin, but I can completely understand the costs of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad