TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Anyone but Price, Subban, Gallagher and Galchenyuk. With the right offer I'd trade Captain Invisible in a heartbeat.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I have no doubt that Plekanec would be worth a first rounder but my question is a) who would be interested in him and b) who would have the cap space to keep him going forward?

Right now the only teams I see that could actually use Plek are NJ, CGY, EDM (?), STL, ARI, CBJ. Now STL doesn't have the cap space, NJ don't have the assets, EDM has a lot of centers so it's a question of how their managements evaluates their personel.

CCY, EDM, ARI, CBJ are all teams out of the playoffs, what would be the motivation in adding an aging player, with an escalating contract and declining skills? All while trading away THEIR 1st round pick as part of a deal for Plekanec?

STL? They've got Backes, Berglund, Stastny down the middle...already too much money committed down the middle to take on Plekanec. Not to mention that Plekanec is about the polar opposite of what Hitchcock wants/looks for in a player

NJ? I guess there could be a match there...but they're also a budget team, with the uncertainty surrounding the cap. it would make this type of deal very hard to make

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Weise is going to get so overpaid.

Yep, constantly playing him in the top 6 has convinced him he's a highly skilled player, whereas he's still a replaceable bottom 6 grinder who's not even doing any grinding job anymore.

Ship him for whatever you can.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
He was also a pending free agent...so no financial commitment beyond that year

It goes both ways, I guess. Maybe some teams are looking for long-fix replacement and Plekanec contract isnt that bad when we look at his stats.

I'd trade Plekanec for a 1st for sure, if we can't get a 1st, I'd try to get a 2nd for Desharnais. I'd keep one of the two.

If we still had Tinordi, I would have dealt Emelin for a 3rd or a 2nd, but now I might keep him

Weise for a 2nd is a done deal for sure

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
CCY, EDM, ARI, CBJ are all teams out of the playoffs, what would be the motivation in adding an aging player, with an escalating contract and declining skills? All while trading away THEIR 1st round pick as part of a deal for Plekanec?

STL? They've got Backes, Berglund, Stastny down the middle...already too much money committed down the middle to take on Plekanec. Not to mention that Plekanec is about the polar opposite of what Hitchcock wants/looks for in a player

NJ? I guess there could be a match there...but they're also a budget team, with the uncertainty surrounding the cap. it would make this type of deal very hard to make
CGY & ARI (who are third in the division right now BTW) have a realistic shot at making the playoffs considering how weak their division is. I wouldn't really say Plekanec's skills are really declining, he plays the same way that he's played his whole career, a non-flashy game that somehow gets results every year. He's currently on pace for 57 pts despite having 10 pts in his last 24 games. He brings a good two way game which would fit well on a team like STL. Berglund is no better than a Lars Eller and more depth is never a bad thing. Jori Lehtera isn't cutting it and by acquiring Plekanec, they could finally cut ties with Backes' who's been one of the biggest responsible for the Blues' failure in the playoffs in the last 4 years.

CBJ have no real threat down the middle since trading away Johansen. Plekanec would be an upgrade on Dubinsky. They obviously wouldn't move their first from this year for him. That being said, they have plenty of assets so they could trade a guy like Milano for Plekanec.

EDM is more based on the fact that they need some veterans who are responsible defensively. McDavid, RNH, Leon, those are all young guys. RNH is on his way out and I think Plekanec has their third line center (I realize he makes for one hell of an expensive third line center in this case) would be a great fit for their team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
CGY & ARI (who are third in the division right now BTW) have a realistic shot at making the playoffs considering how weak their division is. I wouldn't really say Plekanec's skills are really declining, he plays the same way that he's played his whole career, a non-flashy game that somehow gets results every year. He's currently on pace for 57 pts despite having 10 pts in his last 24 games. He brings a good two way game which would fit well on a team like STL. Berglund is no better than a Lars Eller and more depth is never a bad thing. Jori Lehtera isn't cutting it and by acquiring Plekanec, they could finally cut ties with Backes' who's been one of the biggest responsible for the Blues' failure in the playoffs in the last 4 years.

CBJ have no real threat down the middle since trading away Johansen. Plekanec would be an upgrade on Dubinsky. They obviously wouldn't move their first from this year for him. That being said, they have plenty of assets so they could trade a guy like Milano for Plekanec.

EDM is more based on the fact that they need some veterans who are responsible defensively. McDavid, RNH, Leon, those are all young guys. RNH is on his way out and I think Plekanec has their third line center (I realize he makes for one hell of an expensive third line center in this case) would be a great fit for their team.

So their solution to that would be to trade for Plekanec?

Esshhh...

I think the way most Habs fans see Plekanec, compared to how he's seen throughout the league...are two vastly different thigns

I don't think his profile is as highly regarded outside MTL as it is within MTL.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I could see the Wild being interested in Pleks...(example)
I could see Arizona, they are in the playoff...

Pleks would be a bubble team grab for the 3rd center spot, not a contender grab. But I could also see Chicago grabbing him for another run and then selling him back at the draft (they would have to divest someone first, but this is not out of the ordinary).

As a 3rd center who can fill in when injuries happen, I think he would be highly regarded.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Fix the !#:;#!$×! Problem Bergy, thats your job!! We cant go thru another season with Plek and DD as our no1-2 venter!! Enough!! Eller as your no 3 is perfect either put chucky or plek as your no 2 center, trade or buyout DD and sign Eric Stall or Backes or whoever can improve the size and skill of our center line!!

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
So their solution to that would be to trade for Plekanec?

Esshhh...

I think the way most Habs fans see Plekanec, compared to how he's seen throughout the league...are two vastly different thigns

I don't think his profile is as highly regarded outside MTL as it is within MTL.
I know you don't like Plekanec but come on... Backes is even worse in the PO than Plekanec. Backes has had a PPG over 0.5 only ONCE and that was in his playoffs experience playing against easier competition (and his team still got swept that year...). At least Plekanec can say he's had some good to respectable performances in the playoffs throughout his career (see 08, 10, 11, 13).

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
it's not hard to guage Plekanec's value...all of what you just listed

- 2 more years left on his contract
- not playing well
- bad playoff reputation

He's not an attractive option for a contending team heading into the playoffs, the financial committment is way too cumbersome without sending a contract back, and his play is trending down, not up

if you're a contending team, who seemingly has your top 2 centers well established, are you going to commit the next 2+ years of your salary cap, at 6M each year, for your 3rd line center?

Don't see it

Not all contending teams have their top-2 centers well established.

It wasn't that long ago that Chicago won with Handzus as their #2 center. Even now Plekanec is a big upgrade over Anisimov.

Even a team like Tampa would probably want Plekanec given that Johnson has crapped the bed, and Stamkos is likely not sticking around.

There are only a few teams where Plekanec would be the #3C, he'd be #2 on most and even #1 on a few like Florida.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
As others have said anyone but Subban, Price, Gallagher. Everyone else should be available for the right price.

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
In regards to Byron, since he was a waiver pickup he needs to first be offered to any of the other teams that put a claim in for him. Of course he was claimed when the Habs were actually playing good hockey, so they might have had last waiver priority at the time.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I would deal Weise & Byron. Yes, they are feel good stories, but you can find these type of players anywhere. Their value will never be as high as it currently is, and I wouldn't pay Weise a cent over 1.5 million (which is what he will probably get).

Flash might still have some value. I'd move him for almost anything considering he was acquired for free.

I'm still sceptical about Desharnais' value around the league. If he has some, move him for the sake of Galchenyuk's development. If MB is true in his words that MT is his man in the fox hole, Galchenyuk will never be centre so long as DD is on this club.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Those trade makes little sense because of contracts involved for CBJ and EDM. Backes is also a no go because of a three year $6M contract vs an expiring $4.5M contract.

Plekanecs contract is $5M for this year and $6M for next two. A team is not going swap a 33 year old slowing player for a younger high draft player and/or adding around an additional $5M in cap space.

Plekanecs for Lehtera has some chance, but not much reason for it.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
Weiss, Gilbert, DSP, Flash, Flynn and Barberio.

I don't realistically think we would get anything but dead salary back for DD so I'd probably just waive him. I also don't think I would be able to move Emelin but am not at the point where I'd waive him.

I'm not sure what to do with Byron but would move him for a decent pick or prospect. I wouldn't consider selling Plekanec for anything less then a young roster piece with good potential and a pick. I wouldn't move Markov unless he asks for a chance to play for a cup. I'd prefer to let him retire a Hab if he'd like, it looks good on the organization.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The only consideration for the Habs to make at the deadline is to build towards the immediate future, possibly starting with acquiring Drouin and gaining more draft choices for the 2016 Entry Draft. (Hopefully 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks) Using prospects, roster players & draft picks to move up for a couple more 1st round picks. If the Habs finish in the bottom five, acquiring a late 1st round pick should be a given, lots of good talent in this draft, IMHO. Many bottom six players that other teams would covet, with the Habs finally building their offence, prospects from the AHL will take steps next season. Getting a top six offensive player in the draft or a PMD in Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev that maybe able to step into the lineup would be huge, especially with Drouin's playmaking (Possibly Dubois as a wingman) The positive side of course is to hold onto those quality teammates that bring it night after night, while adding top talents to feed them opportunities to score.:popcorn:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Those trade makes little sense because of contracts involved for CBJ and EDM. Backes is also a no go because of a three year $6M contract vs an expiring $4.5M contract.

Plekanecs contract is $5M for this year and $6M for next two. A team is not going swap a 33 year old slowing player for a younger high draft player and/or adding around an additional $5M in cap space.

Plekanecs for Lehtera has some chance, but not much reason for it.

Well EDM was supposedly offering RNH for Jones so they're obviously open to trading RNH for a defenseman. Say that the Oilers manage to get a Adam Larsson (someone of that caliber) for their center, they would have the cap space to get Plekanec. I never said that RNH for Plekanec would be a deal they'd explore. Plekanec is still on pace for 55+ pts while bringing two way play, it's nothing to sneeze at. CBJ have the cap space to make a move for him and I've pointed out, Plekanec would be their best center easily.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I know you don't like Plekanec but come on... Backes is even worse in the PO than Plekanec. Backes has had a PPG over 0.5 only ONCE and that was in his playoffs experience playing against easier competition (and his team still got swept that year...). At least Plekanec can say he's had some good to respectable performances in the playoffs throughout his career (see 08, 10, 11, 13).

Has nothing to do with me not 'liking' Plekanec...I think Plekanec is a good player, he's just overvalued/overrated by the coaching staff and a lot of Habs fans. Doesn't change the fact that's he a very useful player.

He's just not a 6M for the next 2 years type of useful player...

I have trouble believing that the Blues would be more enthused with Plekanec over Backes in the playoffs this year and for 2 more years after this one.

Again, the issue with Plekanec IMO, is he was re-signed. I think that makes him LESS attractive.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not all contending teams have their top-2 centers well established.

It wasn't that long ago that Chicago won with Handzus as their #2 center. Even now Plekanec is a big upgrade over Anisimov.

Even a team like Tampa would probably want Plekanec given that Johnson has crapped the bed, and Stamkos is likely not sticking around.

There are only a few teams where Plekanec would be the #3C, he'd be #2 on most and even #1 on a few like Florida.

No he wouldn't be a #1 on Florida...unless you think Plekanec is > Barkov and if you do think that, it just proves my point about Habs fans overrating Plekanec

I don't see a contending team who has a spot for Plekanec on their 2nd line right now...not even Tampa Bay.

Also disagree that Plekanec is a big upgrade over Anisimov...maybe in a vacuum where things like age, size and salary don't matter.

But that's not the world we live in

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
No he wouldn't be a #1 on Florida...unless you think Plekanec is > Barkov and if you do think that, it just proves my point about Habs fans overrating Plekanec

I don't see a contending team who has a spot for Plekanec on their 2nd line right now...not even Tampa Bay.

Also disagree that Plekanec is a big upgrade over Anisimov...maybe in a vacuum where things like age, size and salary don't matter.

Has nothing to do with me not 'liking' Plekanec...I think Plekanec is a good player, he's just overvalued/overrated by the coaching staff and a lot of Habs fans. Doesn't change the fact that's he a very useful player.

He's just not a 6M for the next 2 years type of useful player...

I have trouble believing that the Blues would be more enthused with Plekanec over Backes in the playoffs this year and for 2 more years after this one.

Again, the issue with Plekanec IMO, is he was re-signed. I think that makes him LESS attractive.
That's actually funny... I was JUST about to ask you what you think of Barkov's latest contract if you think Plekanec isn't worth 6M but a guy like Barkov can be worth 5.9M. I disagree entirely that this season and next season, that Barkov is better than Plekanec.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Barkov will be a better player, and certainly when you factor in age, contract, etc... everyone would take Barkov over Plekanec. But if you have both on your team Plekanec would be the #1 guy, how long that would be the case for is debatable, quite possibly next year Barkov will overtake him. But right now Plekanec as your #1 guy gives you a better chance to win the next game then Barkov does.

Now you can say it's not worth paying the price Plekanec would cost because he's not a big upgrade and that's fair, but it's not really a question that Plekanec is an upgrade over those guys. He's better offensively, and better defensively.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I would deal Weise & Byron. Yes, they are feel good stories, but you can find these type of players anywhere. Their value will never be as high as it currently is, and I wouldn't pay Weise a cent over 1.5 million (which is what he will probably get).

Flash might still have some value. I'd move him for almost anything considering he was acquired for free.

I'm still sceptical about Desharnais' value around the league. If he has some, move him for the sake of Galchenyuk's development. If MB is true in his words that MT is his man in the fox hole, Galchenyuk will never be centre so long as DD is on this club.

I agree with what you've said Andy, but the sad fact of the matter is I highly doubt Weise, Byron, Flash, or DD have any value whatsoever. I mean, every team has their version of Weise and Byron; they're just typical quick bottom 6 players.

Desharnais on the other hand likely has negative value with his contract. He's a player that will only succeed in your top 6 if given top linemates and minutes; which essentially makes your team worse. He can be serviceable as a 3rd line C, but most teams now realize that you need a versatile checking 3rd line to succeed, not a sheltered exploitation 3rd line. The reality is any team acquiring Desharnais would be essentially making their team worse if they're serious about playing him. We're stuck with this bum until his contract is either over or bought out.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's actually funny... I was JUST about to ask you what you think of Barkov's latest contract if you think Plekanec isn't worth 6M but a guy like Barkov can be worth 5.9M. I disagree entirely that this season and next season, that Barkov is better than Plekanec.

I'm not sure why we're even discussing Barkov and Plekanec to be honest...

we're talking about a surging 20yr old 6'3 220lbs center, sure, i'm not a fan of his latest contract because I don't like long extensions coming off ELC. But to compare him to Plekanec, who is 13yrs his senior and is trending down, when Barkov is just scratching the surface of his potential, is a very odd comparison to make

You think that this season, Plekanec is better than Barkov?

Is this for real? why do you think only for this season? What's going to happen to Barkov over the summer that's going to vault him past Plekanec?

Again...Plekanec, is the most overrated Hab on this board. There isn't a sane of mind GM or fan who isn't a Habs fan, who would take Plekane over Barkov, whether that's this year, next year, doens't matter.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Barkov will be a better player, and certainly when you factor in age, contract, etc... everyone would take Barkov over Plekanec. But if you have both on your team Plekanec would be the #1 guy, how long that would be the case for is debatable, quite possibly next year Barkov will overtake him. But right now Plekanec as your #1 guy gives you a better chance to win the next game then Barkov does.

Now you can say it's not worth paying the price Plekanec would cost because he's not a big upgrade and that's fair, but it's not really a question that Plekanec is an upgrade over those guys. He's better offensively, and better defensively.

Maybe if you're a Habs fan who only watches Habs games...

This is ridiculous...just cements my thoughts on Plekanec and how he's viewed here

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm not sure why we're even discussing Barkov and Plekanec to be honest...

we're talking about a surging 20yr old 6'3 220lbs center, sure, i'm not a fan of his latest contract because I don't like long extensions coming off ELC. But to compare him to Plekanec, who is 13yrs his senior and is trending down, when Barkov is just scratching the surface of his potential, is a very odd comparison to make

You think that this season, Plekanec is better than Barkov?

Is this for real? why do you think only for this season? What's going to happen to Barkov over the summer that's going to vault him past Plekanec?

Again...Plekanec, is the most overrated Hab on this board. There isn't a sane of mind GM or fan who isn't a Habs fan, who would take Plekane over Barkov, whether that's this year, next year, doens't matter.

Nobody is disputing that Barkov is surging or that he will be a stud, but just because Barkov's getting better and Plekanec is getting worse doesn't mean that Plekanec isn't the better player at this moment in time. Yes at some point very soon Barkov will surpass Plekanec, but it hasn't happened yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad