From a 1 to 10 how happy or not are you about our 1st round of the draft?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

From a 1 to 10 how happy or not are you about our 1st round of the draft?

• Total voters

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I think this was probably as good as it could have turned out without involving big trades involving roster players etc. I really like the talent we acquired and our players fit right in with our organizational composition to boot

Fyi I voted 9 but really considered 10

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
We did a lot better than I thought we could.

Sennecke is going to be excellent and was a good pick at 3. Solberg I didnt even think we were in the running for him. Getting them both is going a long way to help set the team up for success in the future

Reactions: Boo Boo

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I gave it a 7 but almost an 8. I don't pretend to be a skilled evaluator of Sennecke vs Demidov, though the consensus seems to be Demidov was the better pick and that was the guy I preferred. With the injury history, I'm glad they steered clear of Lindstrom. Time will tell.

I can't help but think the ducks could have traded down a few spots and still drafted Sennecke. Admittedly speculation on my part, but it seems like Demidov was a guy that other teams really liked. It will be interesting to hear what the "inside" reporters say after the fact.

Really happy with the trade for Soberg. Seems like a guy who will really contribute down the line and I like trading up to get him.

The ducks really need to add a few NHL pieces either by trade or UFAs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I like sennecke, maybe woulda traded down for him but also understand another team may have grabbed him so fine with the pick at 3(likes Levshunov or buium at 3 more but after that it was wide open for me)

Glad we didn’t go the saliyev route.

Solberg should be a fan favorite and a great pick, glad pv used assets and went out and got their guy.

I went 8 because fowler and Gibson are still on the team so I deducted 1 point from my happiness per each of them

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Pretty happy but gave it an 8 because 10 would have meant someone very unlikely fell to #23 and that rarely happens. When you consider a lot of the teams not including the Ducks passed on the same players you get the sense the forwards were better in this draft than previously thought.
I enjoyed that the Ducks gave their pick the biggest surprise of the draft with him having no idea he had a really good chance to go 3rd. You can't help but be happy for Sennecke.
I also liked that they traded up for a guy they wanted, thats fun.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pretty happy but gave it an 8 because 10 would have meant someone very unlikely fell to #23 and that rarely happens. When you consider a lot of the teams not including the Ducks passed on the same players you get the sense the forwards were better in this draft than previously thought.
I enjoyed that the Ducks gave their pick the biggest surprise of the draft with him having no idea he had a really good chance to go 3rd. You can't help but be happy for Sennecke.
I also liked that they traded up for a guy they wanted, thats fun.

Solberg did unlikely fall to #23.

MyNHLdraft had him projected at #17.
Tankathon had him projected at #20.
Pronman had him ranked his #12 best player.
McKenzie had him ranked #20.
Kimelman from NHL.com projected him #13.
Morreale from NHL.com projected him #17.

We were originally selected to pick 31st. Trading up to #23 to snag Solberg was a huge get!

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
B/B-

I trust them but Sennecke over Demidov is testing the limits for me. I don't think he will be the third best player in this draft and I don't agree with passing on Demi unless he didn't want to play here. I'm assuming there's some infatuation with Sennecke's growth spurt and him starting to put it together in the second half of his season. I'm fine with taking him over any of the other forwards because I can clearly see why he'd be picked so high potential-wise. There's some great d-men we passed on with 3OA as well but Solberg looks awesome.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
For the record, I dont mind passing on Demidov. Drafting russians is gambling on so many levels.

But trading down would have made a ton of sense, nobody had him in top5-7.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
For the record, I dont mind passing on Demidov. Drafting russians is gambling on so many levels.

But trading down would have made a ton of sense, nobody had him in top5-7.
By that logic so is drafting NCAA players.

When was the last time a Russian forced their way onto another team? When was the last time a top Russian drafted player refused to come over? When do Russians rights revert to UFA?

We need to stop this mentality. The only risk is WW3 breaking out in which case there are a lot more important issues to worry about.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
By that logic so is drafting NCAA players.

Nope, your logic is faulty here.

NCAA players want to play in the NHL, it's just a question of where and when.

Russians might not even want to play in the NHL and/or they might not be able to leave Russia even if they wanted.

But drafting NCAA players also carries extra risk, see Adam Fox or Danny DeKeyser.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
As a guy that was Carlsson all the way last year, I guess Im feeling like the Fantilli guys were a year ago.
A 5 and an 8 for value. So I guess 6.5 overall.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Nope, your logic is faulty here.

NCAA players want to play in the NHL, it's just a question of where and when.

Russians might not even want to play in the NHL and/or they might not be able to leave Russia even if they wanted.

But drafting NCAA players also carries extra risk, see Adam Fox or Danny DeKeyser.
So once again, where are the examples of this happening? Because I have a lot of examples of NCAA players causing issues.

What Russian didn’t come over?
What Russian was forced to stay in Russia (other then the ones that were in active military duty the same way an American would be forced to finish his military contract)?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
A 7 or 8. While Sennecke is an intriguing prospect, it’s still a reach and contrary to what some have said, the scouting team has done nothing to deserve our blind trust with forwards

Reactions: 2faded

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
What Russian didn’t come over?
What Russian was forced to stay in Russia (other then the ones that were in active military duty the same way an American would be forced to finish his military contract)?

So why exclude military obligations? They are real.

And how many americans have been forced to delay NHL career because of military duties??

Russians are riskier than CHL/Euro players, I dont like gambling with top3 picks. They are harder to get here, they can use KHL as leverage when they are RFAs.

Feel free to disagree.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Skepticism about the forward taken in the top 10, followed by the defenseman I adore who was tremendous value, aka the Annual Martin Madden Entry Draft experience.

7 with potential for huge upside if Sennecke hits

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
So why exclude military obligations? They are real.

And how many americans have been forced to delay NHL career because of military duties??

Russians are riskier than CHL/Euro players, I dont like gambling with top3 picks. They are harder to get here, they can use KHL as leverage when they are RFAs.

Feel free to disagree.
Other countries have military obligations also lol.

I disagree 100%. Everyone has risk and NCAA is more risky based on recent history.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Other countries have military obligations also lol.

I disagree 100%. Everyone has risk and NCAA is more risky based on recent history.

So let's list the non-russian players who have delayed their NHL careers because of military duties? And the only NHL countries with mandatory military duties are Finland, Switzerland and Russia. The first 2 are very flexible and the duty can be completed in the off-season and can be avoided altogether if needed.

Well duh, of course everyone has risk, the point is that russians are more risky than CHL/Euros.

Russians vs NCAA can be debated but it's not my point because I wasn't calling for Ducks to draft any NCAAers.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm at a 9 or 10 with the 1st round. Went in horrified thinking that Buium would be the pick and was grateful he wasn't.

Watching Sennecke and Demidov highlights I see a lot of similarities between the two players except that Sennecke is 2.5 inches taller and just scratching the surface of his potential. I'm good with that pick.

Sohlberg is just a homerun pick at 23 and takes a lot of the sting away from passing on Silayev. Perfect pick for the organization. Only thing that would have made it better was if he was right-handed.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
I trust the Ducks scouting team, however if Sennecke was their guy, and there was strong belief in the league that he wasn't a top 5 selection for most teams, there should've been a trade down and pick up some additional and significant draft capital. I too love the Sohlberg pick and to move up 8 spots while giving up a late 2nd was great value in comparison to what Montreal paid to move up 5 spots with the Kings. I would give a high grade, but since the Ducks didn't trade down, I'm going to ding them to a 7-7.5 ish range.

Reactions: AngelDuck

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
We didn't draft any of the consensus top defensemen, so I'm very happy about that. I feel those guys will mostly fail to live up to the hype. Especially worried about Levshunov and Silayev.

I thought we would have eyes on Lindstrom more than Sennecke, but I should have known better. It's the Fantilli vs Carlsson all over again with those two. Sennecke could very well end up the better of the two. Hats off to Madden.

Trade up was the right way to go. I called for that after last years draft, we need to start spiking things up here. Quantity is no longer needed in our prospect pool. We need the best help ASAP at the expense of the lster picks. Therefore very happy with Solberg, he was going around there and it probably soured a few teams looking to add that playoff quality cheap defenseman in the next couple years. Surin was my guy late 1st, but he went to Nashville right before our new pick, I feel like that will be a good pick for them even as high as he went.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad